PDA

View Full Version : rockfishing

fisherdude4eva
07-25-2005, 06:56 AM
yesterday i was on board the Velocity in Santa Cruz fishing for rockfish. I had no troubles catching an assortment of rockfish, but i had no luck catching a good-sized lingcod or a red rockfish. Can anyone who knows how to catch these fish on party boats please give me some tips? Thanks

LingSlayer
07-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Just bounce something big and shiney along the bottom. If one sees it, it will most likely strike it. Lings are not picky. I have caught them on 6 ounce lead weights with a treble hook.

I like using diamond jigs. They are heavy enough to get down to the bottom quickly, they are shiney and noisy. Unfortunatly they get snagged up frequently and they are expensive. What can ya' do 8)

If you really want to knock em dead, wait till you catch a small rockfish and secure it on the treble hook of a diamong jig. Bounce that sucker along the bottom and hold on tight!

Good luck,
LS

GXC6
07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Before I bought my own boat, I remember the captain on the PB saying "drop'm down boys and give'm about 8 cranks up off the bottom". They're trying to minimize snaggs. I drag my rig across the rocks or just above them. The bigger fish are below the small ones. Send your rig down as fast as you can to avoid getting bit by the smaller fish on the way down. Pay attention! When on the drift, the bottom structure changes quickly and you need to be ready to reel it up to avoid snags. Try and stay just off the bottom. This should produce bigger fish. If you get bit, bring it up hard and fast because they'll run under rock ledges once hooked. My $.02
Best fishes!
PismoG

AllFishNoWork
07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
If you really want to knock em dead, wait till you catch a small rockfish and secure it on the treble hook of a diamong jig. Bounce that sucker along the bottom and hold on tight!

Hitchhikers rock! :D

This guy was in the bag when he tried to eat the other.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3084/ftbragg245oc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cal.Kellogg
07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Bar Jigs work great for both lings and reds. That is about all I fish on rockcod trips if there is no live bait aboard. I like to work bars on braided line such as Berkeley Fire Line. I rig a 4' 50 leader on the end of 65 pound braid. The braid has virtually no stretch and is very sensitive. You don't want to drag the bar across the bottom, you'll get snagged really easy. Instead drop it to the bottom and reel in 2 cranks of line. Then start yo yoing the jig. If you don't feel it tick the bottom once in a while your fishing too high. The braid makes feeling the bottom simple. you'll know when you get hit because it will be a hard pull.....Imediately pump the fish off the bottom or it will try to dive under the rocks. This is not finese fishing it's all about power! Change the jigs trebles to a big 9/0 J Hook. You'll hook a few less fish but you'll also get hung up less. Another option is removing the big saltwater treble and place 3 light wire trebles on the jig. Two of them are placed on a short 30Lb test droper below the bar and the other one is place at the to of the jig in your snap. You'll be surprised how many fish that top hook picks up!
If bars are too expensive get some spanish mackerel or sardines. Thread a 50 lb test leader through them tipped with a 10/0 hook. Rig it up just like it's a mooching bait with the hook protruding from the baits eye socket....Put the baitfish on a 3 way rig wieght with 8 to 16 ounces of weight.......and drift it in the same zone......

fisherdude4eva
07-25-2005, 04:07 PM
thanks everyone.

meatboat
07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Big bait big fish. I have a 16 oz lure with a large single hook made for those little blues you want to throw back. Drop in on the bottom and reel up slow to 20' bottom, back down till you feel a pull then hold on. Let him swim with it a bit and reel in slowly( may not be hooked)
You can bonce bottom but lot's of hang ups and a half dead blue fish can be heard and seen by any big lingcod in the area.
Farrlon Islands I used a 2.5lb yellow tail for bait. Caught 25lb lings, then my 80lb test snapped by a bigger one.
Larger 3 to 6 oz lures will also get past the school fish to the bottom.
Last killer tip. Get a whole squid and run in inside a 3oz jigging spoon. jig it slowly. Very deadly. Nothing was hitting my spoons on day and I dressed the same spoons with whole squid. As soon as I hit bottom I had a lingcod on, no kidding

fisherdude4eva
07-25-2005, 09:16 PM
do u guyz have any tips on catching reds? i caught two 6 inchers but i saw some people catching like some fat 15 inchers. Any tips?

Rock_Hopper
07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Not much you can do besides follow the good advice given in this thread. Like mentioned - you can try using bigger offerings for the bigger fish, but once you're offering is down there's not much more you can do to target one species of rockfish over another; or small ones vs. larger ones.

It's not unusual to get a rockfish to bite a jig that's bigger than the fish is! Greedy little suckers they are.

MB_Kevin
07-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Ive heard on the party boats that the guys pulling up the lings had caught a small rock cod and a ling ate that so pull it up slowly so it don't spit it out. I don't know if this is true but I thought some times it was hard to pull up then go easier. I don't know just thought I would add in my 2 cents.
good luck on future trips ;)

SEEKER
07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
SWEET NEW BOAT, cant wait to chase some tuna on it. TIGHT LINES, Rich

SalmonKing
07-27-2005, 10:37 PM
What seems to be the ticket for big lings. I'm gonna be heading out to the farralon islands soon,

blue_chrush
07-28-2005, 06:46 PM
tips on the bar jigs is.....
take the treble hook and move it to
the top of the jig and attach it thru
the ring....
that way while boucing the bottom it is
less likely to hang up....
the reason for hitting the bottom is..
lings are attracked to the noise and come from
some distance to find it...
some say they hate the noise and just want it to
stop, so they bite it and try to move it.. ???

tips for reds....
use fishtraps like 5" long and a single bait...
or any rubber bait with some sent on it...
sent is important..
and if you want use 1 whole chovie..
the little shrimp fly jigs are too small....
big bait catches big fish....

fisherdude4eva
07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
hey? what are fishtraps

GXC6
07-29-2005, 02:39 PM
fisherdude,
Go back a ways in the forum and look at "Swimbaits for Halibut/rockfish. Check the link from Jan from Humbolt. That should explain with pictures.
PismoG

fisherdude4eva
07-30-2005, 07:51 AM
thanks guyz
ill try next time i go
im gonna catch me some bug lingcod and reds

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM
hey meatboat. Are you sure you mean 3-6oz weights? That seems awefully small to make it all the way down there without drifting all over the place.