PDA

View Full Version : Redwood City Sharkin'

Rock_Hopper
07-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Fished near a shipwreck out of Redwood City Marina Sunday from about 8:00AM 'til a little after 1:00PM with my buddies Bob and Ken. We were after lite tackle shark action at a spot Bob's been fishing for years. I brought my 6' medium action Quantum Tournament Series IM8 w/Shimano Corvalus 300, 14lb Stren line, 40lb steel leader, and size 5/0 gamakatsu wide gap hooks.

We pulled up to the spot and Ken immediately hooked into a small ray. As he was battling it a ~6' sturgeon swam by the boat, on the surface (when we got there the water was only 2.5'). That gave us a good little rush until we realized Ken's line was going the other way! Anyway, we went through two 3lb boxes of squid (mostly used half pieces) and got bit on every single cast. The longest wait for a bite was probably 6 or 7 minutes. I caught 23 leopards and 5 small rays, Bob got 20 something leopards and 1 ray, and Ken got 30 something leopards and 6 rays. I got the biggest shark and the biggest ray. Most of the sharks were all female clones - all around the 2' - 2.5' range, but we each got a couple of 3'ers. Luckily all the rays were small, since we were all using pretty lite tackle.

Pictured is Bob's and my largest leopards. All fish were released.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard2/files/picture_031_147.jpg

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard2/files/picture_029_131.jpg

kromebrite
07-27-2005, 10:04 AM
oh, you guys are killin me!!! Great report. It is going from a "I want to get out there for shark" to "I NEED to get out there for shark!" ;D

mike22ca
07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I myself have been dying to go sharkin' but I dont know anyone with a boat that goes in the bay. Anyone want company? lol

easymoneyadam
07-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Dang!!! you lucky guys. I've been recently looking into sharking. The pics are great and the report is most certianly encouraging especially since its coming from the Redwood city marina location. I got my first sharks over at Capitola recently and I thought that was a fun experience. (see my Dogsharks at Capitola thread) I'm starting to like what I hear about sharking and want to try full on sharking in the near future. Thanks for sharing your pics!!

wading2fish
07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
I myself have been dying to go sharkin' but I dont know anyone with a boat that goes in the bay. *Anyone want company? lol

If you call around you can find party boats that will take you out into the bay to target sharks. The last time I went out was a long time ago, like fifteen years ago, I don't remember the name of the boat. But they took us out, we were targeting seven gill sharks but all we caught were rays. They charged 75$ for the day, but that was fifteen years ago, have no idea what they are charging now.

MB_Kevin
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
why would you take a party boat out to catch sharks. you can get them from any of the peirs around here or off the rocks on the shore. just put on a chunk of squid and get it near the bottom and they can almost be annoing if you are trying for something else like striper or sturgion.
Ive gone out at some peirs at night with my sisters and others and im the onlyone who knows how to get them off the hook and had them lined up 4-5 at a time for me to take off. I spent like 2 hours strait just taking sharks off hooks and stoping to reel mine in then back to taken them off.
Its still fun but have never taken one home to eat. every time I go out I seem to end up with at least a shark and sometimes it like getting skunked. when they ask what did you catch?? I say nothing just some sharks :-[

kromebrite
07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
MB, what kind of size shark is coming off the peirs? I've been on 6 pack boats going for shark only, and we have gotten some hefty leopards.
I almost had a charter going this Monday targeting only shark, but it fell through.
Get enough interest going and maybe some sniffers can put together a shark trip on a six pack. :D
Get really enough and we can get a load going on one of the bigger PB's(Fury) that will take you to shark. 8)

wading2fish
07-28-2005, 05:52 AM
why would you take a party boat out to catch sharks. you can get them from any of the peirs around here or off the rocks on the shore. just put on a chunk of squid and get it near the bottom and they can almost be annoing if you are trying for something else like striper or sturgion.
*Ive gone out at some peirs at night with my sisters and others and im the onlyone who knows how to get them off the *hook and had them lined up 4-5 at a time for me to take off. I spent like 2 hours strait just taking sharks off hooks and stoping to reel mine in then back to taken them off.
* Its still fun but have never taken one home to eat. every time I go out I seem to end up with at least a shark and sometimes it like getting skunked. when they ask what did you catch?? I say nothing just some sharks :-[

MB,

That is true, with leopards or more commonly with sand sharks. But, have you ever caught a six foot seven gill shark off the rocks or a pier?

w2f

Supperman
07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Leopard sharks are excellent eating...

Fish On!

MB_Kevin
07-28-2005, 10:40 PM
mostly leopard sharks with sand sharks to but mostly leopard. my sisters and panfish popper got a 7 gill shark but I never have and not sure how big it was. The biggest leopard I got was one of my first and it was about 5 foot :o I didn't measure it but when I held it up for the pic it was almost as long as I am tall. most are about 2-3 foot.
I don't think I would take a trip out to target leopard sharks because I catch them all the time. Do 7 gill sharks taste better I heard they look like a real shark with the teeth in the front not on the bottom. that might be cool. ;)
one night on oyster point there was this dude. I think he was tweaking and he had garbage bags full of the sharks. He was keeping everyones sharks. He said "more fish mo money" I don't know who he was going to sell them to or what he was going to do with them but I didn't want to be a part of it so I left and went to the near by Pier to get some. They are fun to catch when its not too many. I know I was excited when we went out to fish the pier after work and I went to get a long sleeve shirt and my sis was screaming because my pole almost went into the water and I pulled up that huge shark. that was a good fight. but most of the 2-3 footers don't seem to fight as good as you would think a shark would.

wading2fish
07-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Hey Masterbaiter,

The last leopard shark I caught was a 4-footer. I was with a couple of my buddies and one of them said, "let's go to this Chinese restaurant I know and they will buy that shark from us". I did not beleive him but took him up on his offer. I won't name the restaurant, but we went and they did pay us twenty dollars for it. I'm sure that's what that tweeker was doing with those sharks.

Seven gill sharks do look like real sharks. They look alot meaner than those leopards, with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. They mostly live in the deep water channels of the bay. And alot of people do go out on party boats to target them. I have seen pics of seven footers being boated.

wayneo
07-29-2005, 07:14 AM
7 gill and soupfin shark goood eaten ;D ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
07-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Yea I have heard of guys selling there fish to Chinese restaurant's :-/ you never know how the guy who sells it to them took care of it as far as keeping it cold and stuff. they should not do that. By the way PM me where I can do that :P

After doing pest control for years you wonder if you ever want to eat out. If I do go out I make sure not to look back at the kitchen just look at my plate. :-/ I don't eat at most of my customers restaurant's.

wading2fish
07-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Master Baiter check your PM

MB_Kevin
07-31-2005, 09:50 PM
its all good. I never thought that that was a bad thing. I think its cool. I know you kept the fish good. I just wonder about others and If they should buy them.
Im not saying if someone wanted to pay me for those sharks that bug me while fishing I wouldnt keep them and sell them so they might not bite next time Im out trying to catch some other fish. I dont think there is a shortage of sharks in the bay.