PDA

View Full Version : Ocean boating safety course

jerp33
12-31-2013, 02:04 PM
I am new boat owner looking to take an ocean boating safety course. I have been on the Sacramento river, in the Delta, on Berryessa and in San Pablo Bay. I just want to know the ocean, how do's. Any suggestions?

MoMoney
12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Other than online stuff offered by cal dept of boating and waterways or Coast guard classroom stuff,I dont know of any on the water practical type classes unless your a sailor.My advice is to study maps of any areas you will go to so you have any idea of depths and hazards.Always check out tides and possible currents where your going.Check weather and wind.Have good ground tackle,vhf,and towing insurance(on water),and always tell someone where your going an when your coming back.Go with someone who has some experience a few times until your comfortable.Maybe someone else can chime in and help out

Line Stretcher
12-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Find your nearest U.S. Coast Guard Station, they will have a list of available courses that you can take. Some are fee based and others are free.

If you want on the water experience other than your own boat, talk to some of the skippers in your local harbors and see if one of them will let you do a ride along.

You might also check into your local Sea Scouts to see if they might help you out. I got my Sea Time (4,500 + days) through a career in the USN.

jerp33
01-01-2014, 07:59 AM
I found the US Coast Guard Auxiliary has a 13 week course this summer in Sacramento. Thanks for your advise.

Seon
01-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I found the US Coast Guard Auxiliary has a 13 week course this summer in Sacramento. Thanks for your advise.

Here are other courses: Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Official Web portal (http://cgaux.org/boatinged/)

JB14
01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
what size boat? That will make a huge difference in your learning curve. Try the coastside fishing club tutorials. Tons of good salt water info listed there.

I am new boat owner looking to take an ocean boating safety course. I have been on the Sacramento river, in the Delta, on Berryessa and in San Pablo Bay. I just want to know the ocean, how do's. Any suggestions?

Seon
01-02-2014, 08:32 AM
... Try the coastside fishing club tutorials. Tons of good salt water info listed there.

Gotta be a Coastside member to read :undecided: .

jerp33
01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
I have a 2013 20' Thunder Jet with an Off Shore bracket, powered by a Yamaha 150.
I have tentatively signed up for the USCG auxiliary Boating Skills and Seamanship course in Sacramento for 13 Wednesdays May thru August. Thanks for all the information.

JB14
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
THis works for me when I'm logged out...
Tutorials | CoastsideFishingClub.com (http://coastsidefishingclub.com/grey-beard-articles/)

Gotta be a Coastside member to read :undecided: .