PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo Reservoir Carb Rating on 2 Strokes is it 2 or 3 star?

bay area angler
01-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the help

Line Stretcher
01-02-2014, 10:29 AM
I believe that the only 3 star rated two stroke is the Evinrude E-Tec. The Direct Injected Mercury Optimax and the Yamah HPDI are 2 star rated.

I don't think CARB rates any carbureted or conventionally injected two strokes.

bay area angler
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I believe that the only 3 star rated two stroke is the Evinrude E-Tec. The Direct Injected Mercury Optimax and the Yamah HPDI are 2 star rated.

I don't think CARB rates any carbureted or conventionally injected two strokes.

I've been out there with my buds boat that has an '07 Merc Optimax but didn't ask what is specified.

The boat I'm trying to buy has a 2 star rated '01 Yamaha Vmax HPDI.

Line Stretcher
01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I've been out there with my buds boat that has an '07 Merc Optimax but didn't ask what is specified.

The boat I'm trying to buy has a 2 star rated '01 Yamaha Vmax HPDI.

California Smog Laws still do not distinguish between 2 and 4 stroke engines. They only distinguish between small and large engines. This will change in 2016 but for now that's what it is.

Whether or not a 2 stroke is allowed on a particular body of water has been left up to the local municipalities that have been given authority over the body of water. They can choose to ban all 2 strokes, only two strokes with a 2 star rating or only 2 strokes with a 3 star rating. For example, I believe Lake Tahoe bans all but 3 star rated 2 strokes.

I'm not 100% sure but I think San Pablo is under the control of EBMUD. I say that I'm not 100% sure because there could well be some local influence involved too. I would contact them to verify if you can or cannot run your 2 star rated engine on the lake. In this case it would be best to get the correct answer directly from the governing authority.

bub1931
01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I went to the EBMUD website and pulled up a PDF document about the fees for San Pablo and on it under Private Boats reads

"Cartop &Trailers allowed. 4 stroke or 2 stroke EPA Certified only."

It does not state anywhere on there anything about a min Star rating.

bay area angler
01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
LOL no one at Ebmud knows unfortunately, I've talked to two different people and left a message with another that manages the district. The direct line to San Pablo is also disconnected that's why I'm reaching out to you Sniffers! :)

bay area angler
01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I went to the EBMUD website and pulled up a PDF document about the fees for San Pablo and on it under Private Boats reads

"Cartop &Trailers allowed. 4 stroke or 2 stroke EPA Certified only."

It does not state anywhere on there anything about a min Star rating.

I read the same thing. If I could only find out what EPA Certified Only means now LOL

Line Stretcher
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
LOL no one at Ebmud knows unfortunately, I've talked to two different people and left a message with another that manages the district. The direct line to San Pablo is also disconnected that's why I'm reaching out to you Sniffers! :)

Humm, now I see why you asked here. Unfortunately, we can't 100% answer you and give the thumbs up to buy the boat. My gut say's you're o.k. but I just don't know positively.