PDA

View Full Version : Locations of fishing holes?

hqly2001
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
How do I know where the locations of all the fishing spots mentioned here? Like the Berkeley Flats.. Angel island (island is really big, where do they fish?), southampton shoals.. crissy field.. like where exactly are these location and where do you fish once you're at this location?

I went out last dsuday.. the water was rough.. windy..
went to angel island drift along some of the beaches and nothing.. then i read the fishing report and it says they were killing them at angel island.. go figure.. i didn;t get a bite..
granted these were the aprty boat.. i don;t have a fish finder so it was probably one of the reason.. but still the whole day and not a hali or striper.. help!!!

ken_fishnfool
07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Get a chart of the bay, all these spots are named on it. The best way to learn is follow the party boats out and see where they stop, mark your chart, and try it when they leave. Notice congregations of boats and mark your chart. Be sure to remember to not run right up on other boats fishing. Give them room but remember where they are.(Especially if you see nets come out! Set up drift up-wind of them and you'll get to fish the same area.)
After a couple of trips you'll get to know quite a few places.
BIG HINT: Halibut and stripers are usually at the edges of drops/channels at low tide and feed up onto the flats at high tide.

CORN
07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, get one of those Fish-n-Map Co maps. A MUST for the beginner. It will answer all of your questions ... except tell you where California City is . ;D

blue_chrush
07-28-2005, 06:36 PM
there are 3 videos out now on the bay and its
spots, with the gps #s to go with it too....
the tapes are called "hooked on fishing"....
and if you do not have a gps the #s are not going
to do you any good, unless your awsome with a compass...
haveing a fishfinder/gps is the only way to go to and
from known fishing spots....if no boats are around,
its a big bay and finding the drop-offs is almost
impossible for the avrage fisherman.....
another tool that is a must is a good VHF radio....
you can listen to guys and know where the bite is
best,, sometime....
anyway look at charts for the edges and get a gps
to so you can plot them and then find them....

hqly2001
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Where can I get this Fish map?

I do plan on getting a GPS and a depth finder..
so the drop off's are the best places to fish during high tide and the flats during low?

The bay is so big.. i was fishing near beaches and shores because i figured the buts and striper would be near shore... didn't think that they would be out too far since it drops to over 40-50 feet or even more deep out futher..

The party boats all venture out to the ocean or seal beach.. and on sunday the water looked too rough to go out on a 17ft boat.. plus the fog made things even worst.. wouldn;t see anything..

you guys think a 17ft lund boat can stand the ocean and seal beach? the guy at the bait shop said that it would be tough since the ocean is pretty rough.. what do u think?

ken_fishnfool
07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I personally would not even think of going out the gate in your boat! :P
And you have the bite backwards...Flats at high tide, dropoffs/channels edges, from an hour or two after high tide, thru the low tide, to about three hours before the top of the next high tide . ;D