PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 01-01-2014

Fisherman209
01-02-2014, 08:36 PM
After having a good day of catching 11 trout at New Melones last week, we decided to start the new year off by fishing there again. We got an early start and left the house at 6:05AM. No one was on the road, so we made it there quick and started fishing around 7AM. We were fishing from shore that day and started near the boat launch ramp. Fish were jumping all over the surface of the water. It was a nice day for trout fishing and I had a good feeling about the day. Boy....was I wrong!!

Two of us were throwing out different variations of power bait and power eggs. We were also throwing just about every lure you could think of. We moved in a western direction away from the boat launch. It wasn't until about 10:30AM when I checked my second rod with a white power egg and noticed the line was slack and way to the right. I stated reeling in the line and I was surprised to feel a fish on. Wasn't very big, but better than being completely skunked. Continued fishing the shoreline until about 12:30PM. The only other action we had was spotting a trout chase a lure in and bump the lure, but no dice!

Didn't really see anyone out on the shoreline reeling anything in. A bunch of boats were out on the water and a bunch of boats left early. Not sure if they left early because they limited or if it was slow for them too. Didn't see anyone at the fish cleaning station on the way out.

Not sure if New Melones is slowing down or if it was just an off day. Not how I wanted to start the new year off, but it was better than working.

redneckpunk
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Not how I wanted to start the new year off, but it was better than working.

Best ways to think about it
1) Get the bad days over early in the year
2) Can only get better from here

Good report none the less

~RNP

bigfishonly
01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Yes, usually the fish stick around where they're dumped for a couple weeks, they may have meandered off! I was out on new years and the trolling was about the same as the week before, pretty good. Caught some and lost more than I caught! Not the brawns or holdovers this time but I am still trying to learn. tight lines