PDA

View Full Version : MY FIRST PIC!!! berkley 'buts?

jon_may
07-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I DID IT!!! WWEEEEEEE!!!!!! anyway , no 'butts but did manage a couple striper, and released a couple leapords..... going out this saturday, any word on 'buts-stripers? will be using live bait,any advice would be much appreciated as this is not my forte'
thanks ;D

redherring
07-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Jon M.....Most of the reports on Halibuts have been outside the gate and along the coastline either off of seal rock or up along the Marin Coastline. Hopefully, this is a sign of a late run since not many "buts" have been caught this year. I was thinking of trying these areas too Saturday if weather permits. Stripers have been pretty much been all over the bay, but most of the boats have switched over to mainly rock cod and salmon these past few weeks so not much reports.

triggerfish
07-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Jon, I picked up 2 halibut on the west side of alcratraz on sat. and 2 bass on the beach just south of the G.G.There was a lot of boats there. no fish until the 7-10th drift. :)

cptfishalot
07-20-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm going tomorrow I will post a report when I get in

jon_may
07-21-2005, 06:57 AM
thanks...love those reports!

cptfishalot
07-23-2005, 09:29 PM
My bad...totally rude of me....not posting a report....
Went out of the 21st (Thursday) and what a beautiful day.
Launched from Berkeley around 7am in my boat and my buddy launched his boat around the same time.
Went straight to SR did a couple of drifts and nothing (really large tides that day).
Went down to MR and I caught a nice salmon while fishing for "Hali" saw all the other boats PB's included trolling for salmon so back to SR I went and hooked a nice 19lb Halibut then for some dumb reason I left that area and went inside by So. Hampton and it was like I was filming "Shark week" (leopards and sands)
In retrospect I should have stayed outside.......and I will next week weather permitting.

SEEKER
07-24-2005, 04:41 AM
BRAVO SHARK HUNTER ;), LOL on the filming of SHARK WEEK. Take care and TIGHT LINES Capt.

jon_may
07-26-2005, 11:34 AM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4172/dsc000312mb1qc.jpg
i guess i did that wrong!

Hogsbro
07-26-2005, 03:37 PM
John M

Great job on the shark and the picture. The only thing you did wrong is the pic is too big. I resized it. Keep posting those pictures.

kromebrite
07-26-2005, 06:47 PM
right on pic of the leopard!
I tried to get an outing targeting shark for Monday, but it didn't work out. I am getting out there soon.

MB_Kevin
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
great job that is a nice looking leopard. did you keep it to eat. still wondering on that and have been letting mine go but heard they are good.
Hogs Bro how big was the pic. How did you resize it? I post pic but just do it how it comes out of the camera. they are not really big and take over the whole page but they are a little to big to fit. If it is not a long process I will change it to fit the screen ;)
I know you can go into photo shop and change it but that would take some time and with the funky way I know to post pic that would be hard.

hqly2001
07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Went out with my buddy on his new boat.. a 17 footer lund..
we had a tough time..
first the fog was so bad and the weather was kinda crazy.. so we didn;t make it to seal rock.. went to angel island.. nothing happening.. 7-10 drift around various beach spots and nothing.. went to the marin side and i caught a 15lb sting ray and a 4-5 ft long leopard shark..about 30lbs or so...
caught them on 8lb test.. it was fun playing them.. but not what i wanted..

are leopards good eating? i released mines.. let me know.. maybe i will keep it next time!

drift a few times near the berkely pier...too much weed.. where are you guys drifting at? near or away from the pier?

I want to catch some stripers and halibut.. any other good spots? these places i hear about.. middle ground.. southhampton.. etc.. how do i know where they are at and how would i know exactly where to fish? just drift around those areas?? any help would be great!!

jon_may
07-27-2005, 06:56 AM
we got the stripers and sharks near alkatraz(sp?) both sharks were released... first time out there for me so i can't give much advice.... i'll be going out more so hopefully will learn more as time goes by.... ;D

kromebrite
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
leopards are good eating, bbq or deep-fry battered. After clubbing them, bleed them by slicing behind the gill plates and a slice at the tail. You can also just gut it right away. If you don't it tends to bitter out the meat.
Limit is three, but always check the book ;)
They will be giving birth in Sept/Oct, so one idea is to release the prego mommas.

MB_Kevin
07-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Cool I might try some on the BBQ this weekend. you can gut them instead of bleeding them or you have to bleed and then gut them. what do people say if you bleed them over the side of a public peir :-/

kromebrite
07-27-2005, 09:59 PM
gut or bleed, my vote is gut. Doing so right away seems to be the ticket, as in bring in, club and gut it pretty quickly.
I have no idea about how it would be received bleeding out ashark on the pier.

SalmonKing
07-27-2005, 10:30 PM
What's trick on catching butts. Do you let the weight smach into the bottom as the waves move up and down or do you lightly dance it onthe bottom?

jon_may
07-28-2005, 08:12 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1315/dsc000312qx.jpg
lets see if this works.....