PDA

View Full Version : Any positive reports for extended SF Bay area these days?

Rivergoat
01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
2014 license in hand, looking forward to some fishing. Of course, rain has been non-existent here! I haven't read many current reports of any activity. Anyone have some good reports of the usual fishing spots in the San Francisco/Santa Cruz area?

Come spring time I figure to head toward the lower Sierra and check lakes in that area if they start producing.

If I can get away during summer, the Eastern Sierra is optimum.

Prefer to use the fly rod, but will use spin and bait casting gear, too.

Thanks, and best fishing to you all....

Line Stretcher
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
2014 license in hand, looking forward to some fishing. Of course, rain has been non-existent here! I haven't read many current reports of any activity. Anyone have some good reports of the usual fishing spots in the San Francisco/Santa Cruz area?

Come spring time I figure to head toward the lower Sierra and check lakes in that area if they start producing.

If I can get away during summer, the Eastern Sierra is optimum.

Prefer to use the fly rod, but will use spin and bait casting gear, too.

Thanks, and best fishing to you all....

The Eastern Sierra's have been in a drought for longer than we have. Before you head there make sure you check the conditions and make sure your source is reliable. People in business in these locations may be tempted to fudge the truth a little just to get you up there.

Everything is going to be different this year due to the drought conditions. DFW plants may be fewer and further between and some areas may be closed altogether. The inland fishing in general may be tougher everywhere.

Rivergoat
01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
The Eastern Sierra's have been in a drought for longer than we have. Before you head there make sure you check the conditions and make sure your source is reliable. People in business in these locations may be tempted to fudge the truth a little just to get you up there.

Everything is going to be different this year due to the drought conditions. DFW plants may be fewer and further between and some areas may be closed altogether. The inland fishing in general may be tougher everywhere.

Yes, I would check the reports before heading out. Although I also go near Bridgeport for photo trips to Bodie. Last time along Hwy 395 I spent a day float tubing upper Virginia Lake as I recall. Admittedly a little slow that day. I hooked 2 early on, and that was it.

Closer to home, I recall when Loch Lomond in the Santa Cruz mtns was closed a few seasons due to drought. I am rather expecting that this year. Minimal chance of rain in about a week, but nothing like the area needs....