PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good way to clean trout.

willcfish
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
My way to clean trout. Everyone does it a little different but this works good for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEeojC8t5c

Benzo
01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Instead of using the thumb, I usually run my knife in the cavity and scrape the blood with a spoon.

CAL916BEAR
01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Instead of using the thumb, I usually run my knife in the cavity and scrape the blood with a spoon.

Ditto, and sometimes u can use the handle end for that tough to get stuff

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

Gene St. Denis
01-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Keep em Commin !!!! :goodidea4gq: gst

TROUTFISHER
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I like to run the knife up the anal cavity and cut all the way to within a 1/2' of gills. Then you take your index figure and hook the gills and pull down. This will pull all the guts and the two front fins off all in one pull. then run your thumb up through the blood line. (or the back of your knife) run some water and your done. I can do all this in 30 seconds. thats the way i was taught. works great on small to average size trout. The big ones it's different story.

Tight Lines....

MarkdaShark19
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Just a curiosity question, does anyone fillet trout? I know it can be a little harder, especially with smaller fish. I personally enjoy eating clean fillets or bite sized chunks way more then a whole trout. Just wondering if anyone else filleted em like I do.

Line Stretcher
01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Just a curiosity question, does anyone fillet trout? I know it can be a little harder, especially with smaller fish. I personally enjoy eating clean fillets or bite sized chunks way more then a whole trout. Just wondering if anyone else filleted em like I do.
Sure. I think the majority of us clean them right away and filet later.

PapaGreg
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I clean the smaller ones just like troutfisher, I fillet anything over 2 pounds, especially from Amador! Nice, red/orange meat.

mikeandkristy
01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
I Cut from the anal fin up and then pull out the guts until they are still attached to the head and then cut off with the fillet knife. Then as some have said I take a spoon and scrape out the rest under running water. I like to use the other end of the spoon as well for the tough parts. I will post a video next time. Way easy and very clean! That's how this fishing girl does it.

Jeepman775
01-07-2014, 07:19 PM
If they are small I gut them. If they are bigger I fillet them. One or the other. I don't like to clean them twice. Gutting them, then filleting later doesn't make sense to me. Although I am not particularly smart. So grain of rice and all that.

MarkdaShark19
01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
If they are small I gut them. If they are bigger I fillet them. One or the other. I don't like to clean them twice. Gutting them, then filleting later doesn't make sense to me. Although I am not particularly smart. So grain of rice and all that.

That's how I have always done it. I don't see the point in gutting them or scaling them if your just going to fillet them later and I always cut the skin off as well. Less steps, and just saves time.

Jeepman775
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
If I fillet, it is boneless skinless. Only time I don't fillet the larger guys is if I am stuffing and baking or BBQing them. The only thing worse than handling trout more than you have to is firewood.

fishingfrieda
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
thanks for the video willc, when you left the head on the first one, was it just for personal preference? I also scaled mine, is scaling not necessary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Jeepman775
01-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I like the cheek meat and eyes on smaller fish when frying, so I leave the head on. IMO there is no reason to scale trout. The skin comes off after cooking no problem in one piece. I have scaled trout and everytime the meat came out drier and the skin fell apart, which led to the meat falling apart and a pain in the ass.

fishingfrieda
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
I like the cheek meat and eyes on smaller fish when frying, so I leave the head on. IMO there is no reason to scale trout. The skin comes off after cooking no problem in one piece. I have scaled trout and everytime the meat came out drier and the skin fell apart, which led to the meat falling apart and a pain in the ass.

ok good to know thanks

Fishmeister
01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I usually scale my trout because I like the crispy skin. Best thing I have found to scale trout and salmon is a brass scrub pad.

stefanoflo
01-10-2014, 10:54 PM
anyway is the correct way . as long as its gutted. Really who wants to eat a fish with guts??
I normally Gut my fish at the river I`m fishing . I also heard it was Illegal to do this . Hell I feeding the fish in my book
It beats getting home after a day of fishing having to clean and put you gear up.

Captain Compassion
01-10-2014, 11:07 PM
It's simple. After I get home from the lake I put the fish in the sink sharpen the knife and give it to the wife. When I wake up from my nap they are all cleaned. :strawberry:

CC

fairplay
01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
It's simple. After I get home from the lake I put the fish in the sink sharpen the knife and give it to the wife. When I wake up from my nap they are all cleaned. :strawberry:

CC
You are my hero!
If I handed my wife a fish to clean and a sharp knife, I wouldn't be closing my eyes.
Well maybe for the last time.

Line Stretcher
01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
thanks for the video willc, when you left the head on the first one, was it just for personal preference? I also scaled mine, is scaling not necessary?

Gem, a fishes scales are there to help protect it from bacteria and parasites. Removing them helps to get rid of that bacteria and should be done before you clean the fish or you may transfer the bacteria to the meat. I highly recommend you continue the practice.

Also, I recommend that fish be gutted and the kidney removed (The substance in the bacbone) because if you accidently cut into it you may spoil the meat.

I always clean my fish at first opportunity but may not filet them until later. I feel that this allows me to refrigerate them for longer periods of time than filets. This seems to be very helpful if I'm on a long trip and I have to transport them on ice. I have ruined fish by freezing them and then having them partially thaw on the trip home. I've had filets go bad in the refrigerator after just a couple of days.

fishingfrieda
01-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks Steve!

okie
01-13-2014, 05:27 AM

CC

if i see my wife with a sharp knife, i leave the house.
better safe than sorry
be safe

CATKILLER
01-13-2014, 05:34 AM
My way to clean trout. Everyone does it a little different but this works good for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEeojC8t5c

Using a toothbrush to clean out hard parts works great much easier then using a spoon.

CATILLER

fishingfrieda
01-13-2014, 05:47 AM
She just wants to talk Okie!

fairplay
01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Or point out a few flaws!

willcfish
12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks Gene, Don't know if I put on my good way to cook trout. I'll check.
Ditto, and sometimes u can use the handle end for that tough to get stuff

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2