PDA

View Full Version : Swinging door Crab pots --

GrandpaKeys
01-05-2014, 11:08 AM
I've seen several hilarious underwater crab trap YouTube videos. One in particular is seven minutes long (edited??) and shows a bunch of dungeness crabs trying to get into a Danielsen swinging door crab trap. Not one gets into the trap. The video is fun to watch and revealing.

Bottom line: Crabs are not good at solving the trap door. Crabs poked their claws through the trap door wire openings- and proceeded around the perimeter of the trap. Obviously, crabs do enter swing door crab traps so I know they work but it takes time (hours of soaking) to get the random crabs that figure out doors that looks like the rest of the trap.

After watching the video, several questions with moments of Hmmmmmm....? occurred to me. Is there a way to improve the swinging doors so crabs are more successful in their attempts to enter in less time?

So.... I'm thinking, the crabs need a target to 'focus' their efforts on to get the bait. How about if on the swinging door a white two inch diameter circle of white plastic with a red dot painted on a black background would cause the crabs to concentrate their efforts on the door? Stop laughing!!! :evil: I'm serious.

I don't know if they can see color --- certainly they can see contrasting colors of black and white. The red dot is a bonus if they can.

I'm going to do a build and test my theory --- should only take a couple of minutes per door.

Has anyone thought about this? As a retired guy, do I have too much time on my hands???

Oh and ... go 49ers!!

GK

oregondragonfly
01-05-2014, 03:54 PM
grampa I use the round large circle traps with the walk way funnel entrance which gets them in the right direction and I have the bait box wired down to the center and go down to the dollar store and buy the packs of glow sticks and break and weave then into the mesh to keep them in place they last for hours and if nothing else they pick my pots over the others because of the glow. and in your case a focus point. dfly

GrandpaKeys
01-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Great idea with the glow sticks. Thanks for sharing. In YouTube videos, it seems that crabs move around the perimeter of a round trap more readily than traps with corners. Certainly not a researched based statement. I like my square trap with four doors. It's less expensive than commercial style traps. My curiosity makes me wonder if crabs will enter a swinging door trap with a visual clue on it more quickly than a door that looks like the rest of the trap.

I'm in the process of modifying a door and will test my theory.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has added a visual clue to their swing doors???

GK

grampa I use the round large circle traps with the walk way funnel entrance which gets them in the right direction and I have the bait box wired down to the center and go down to the dollar store and buy the packs of glow sticks and break and weave then into the mesh to keep them in place they last for hours and if nothing else they pick my pots over the others because of the glow. and in your case a focus point. dfly

CDK
01-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Might I think use something like this instead of the door.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-2xiUvvutOoeebfOyrUTeaANbLkOleagECmqzvKrMdenJOzcZ
Would seem to make it easier to enter.There several different ways to accomplish the mission with out those doors.
Google pigeon traps for ideas.