PDA

View Full Version : Shelton Self Releasing Hooks (Field Test/Review)

Fisherman209
01-06-2014, 06:48 AM
If anyone is interested, I did a short and sweet review on my field test of Bill Shelton's self releasing hooks. I'm posting this on the trout board, because I use these hooks specifically for trout fishing. Hope the review helps anyone that has been interested in purchasing these hooks. The review can be found in the field test product reviews or the below link:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/field-test-product-reviews/111163-shelton-self-releasing-hooks.html

Hookin_Up
01-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks for letting people know about these hooks. Hopefully one day I will be able to fish enough to necessitate buying them.:grin: When I do get out, I usually don't bait fish.

Quick question: is holding a trout with a towel harmful? Anyone know? I always assumed it was very harmful and probably fatal, but if it is safe then it seems like an easier way to handle the fish.

IronClad
01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks for letting people know about these hooks. Hopefully one day I will be able to fish enough to necessitate buying them.:grin: When I do get out, I usually don't bait fish.

Quick question: is holding a trout with a towel harmful? Anyone know? I always assumed it was very harmful and probably fatal, but if it is safe then it seems like an easier way to handle the fish.

Its a good way to wipe alot of slime off them even if its wet. i wouldnt do it

MarkdaShark19
01-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Quick qthem. ion: is holding a trout with a towel harmful? Anyone know? I always assumed it was very harmful and probably fatal, but if it is safe then it seems like an easier way to handle the fish.

Yes it is incredibly harmful to them. I've seen plenty of people handle trout with a towel then released only to go belly up immediately afterwards for the birds.

RideNfish
01-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Best thing to do is use wet hands and if you do use a towel it needs to be sopping wet not just dipped in the lake/stream. But those hooks help survival rates to. Many fish swim off and die days later and we never know. We just have to give them the best chance by doing a few little things. Part of the game if you want to fish.

Cheers,

Line Stretcher
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Handling a trout with a towel won't kill them right away but removing the slime will make them susceptible to disease which may eventually cause them to die.

I'm not a huge fan of catch and release with the exception of incidentally caught, protected and endangered species. These hooks do hold a place in that role so if you are fishing in lakes where incidental catches are likely to occur then I highly recommend the investment.

If the cost is too much for you then an investment in barbless hooks and a good Boga Grip would probably be one of the better acceptable solutions.

Hookin_Up
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the responses, which confirmed my assumptions. I was taught that if you mess with the slime on a trout in any way, then they will have a hard time surviving, in the long run. I know that touching them with dry hands can kill them easily. I try not to take the trout out of the water at all, if I am planning to release it. These Shelton hooks allow you to do just that, so I think they're pretty cool.