PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Lakes Fishing Access...frozen? Snow at all?

hanahou7
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey Sniffers in the Sierras,

My buddies are planning to rent a cabin up in Tahoe mid February, and they are planning on snowboarding (I don't even know if they'll have snow to board on). Since snowboarding isn't really my thing, I was thinking of taking my poles up to try and do some fishing, but was not sure of the conditions.

With our warm winter and lack of rain/ snow, are the lakes accessible at this time? I have a 4x4 so if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

cmcclain
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Plenty of lakes to hit around there for some fish. You going to be staying in South Lake or North Lake?

I was just in South Lake for New Years and the amount of snow is quite minimal. This drought is serious. If you let me know of what part of Tahoe you are staying at I can try and give some suggestions of where to go.

But for the most part, many of the lakes are fairly accessible as those two big storms were long ago and the recent warm weather has given that snow some time to melt off the roads. 4WD will definitely make them accessible, IMO.

Assuming your on shore, Fallen Leaf Lake is beautiful and feels forever away from South Lake Tahoe, though it's only 15 miles away. It doesn't have much fish able shoreline but you can find some if you work for it.

Donner is always a good spot for some shore fishing if you're in North Lake, but reports lately have been mixed but it's also beautiful. There's a couple others around there as well.

hanahou7
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks cmcclain, I'll be in South Lake Tahoe. I tried for Fallen Leaf once but only had a 2WD car at the time and a storm kicked up so we had to go back.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

NCfisher
01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I was in Truckee this past week. Donner is easy to get to and throwing lures from shore have a chance at browns, macks or rainbows. Stampede is not frozen over but the roads getting there are pretty icy in spots. Boca and Prosser are both iced over. If you're staying in Truckee, stop by the local Ace Mountain Hardwear and they'll hook you up. Tight lines.

cmcclain
01-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks cmcclain, I'll be in South Lake Tahoe. I tried for Fallen Leaf once but only had a 2WD car at the time and a storm kicked up so we had to go back.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Another option is hiking to Cascade Lake, there's a trailhead at Emerald Bay (I believe it's called Bayview Trailhead). Obviously, take this with a grain of salt since I don't know what the trail conditions are like, and I express you use extreme caution if you test this out. It's not that bad of a walk but the hike down to the lake can be kind of rough. It's fun though, and serene. I can't recall off the top of my head how far it is but it's not that bad, just be careful and do some research first. There's some roads that go to it but I think they'll only take you to private land, whereas the trail will take you to the far end of the lake.

Other than that, I would recommend Fallen Leaf. It's close and easily accessible, especially with 4WD and the lack of any snow this year. On top of that, there's a wide variety of fish to catch in there including LCT's, Browns, Bows, and Macks. Let me know how it is if you go, I've been meaning to make a trip there soon.