PDA

View Full Version : Shore spot for Lings/rockfish

Finesse
07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
just seeing if anyone can recomend a best bet spot for Lings and Rockfish from the shore or float tube :o. i have yet to find a spot to produce a solid stringer.

Fishbutt21
07-14-2005, 08:10 AM
I have had good luck off a kayak just south of gerstle cove in salt point state park about 15-40ft of water.you can fish deeper but it may be out more than you want to take a float tube

Flipper266
07-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Finesse, Where are you going? Which county?

ken_fishnfool
07-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Bean Hollow, Pescadero, and Pidgeon Point.
Big Sur area is real good right now.
As for the float tube I've thought about it and I won't use it in the ocean. I wouldn't want to meet JAWS up close and personal as well as the danger of getting rolled in the surf.

Finesse
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
i grew up with a comercial fishing family, i would always jump in the water out off some islands(channel islands) i used to be a bit scared but they say gettin bit is about as likely as gettin hit by lighting, so far so good. im more worried and the fish coming up and stabbing my tube with a fin and im in 100ft of water :-/

Tight Lines!
Sean

Rock_Hopper
07-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Anywhere along the Sonoma County Coast.

Finesse
07-14-2005, 03:15 PM
any particular spots? im new to northern cali, been in Sac and surounding areas. just some names will do me fine ;D im thinkin of a campin trip up to timber cove but im not sure how the bank fishin is up there ??? im sure if would be awesome but ive only fished from a boat out there, didnt get a look at the bank.

Flipper266
07-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Bodega Bay is good, the jetty there has rocks and lings

brian_m
07-14-2005, 03:56 PM
wherever looks fishey

The_Talis
07-15-2005, 07:43 PM
For up north, try the South Jetty of Humboldt Bay. Some very nice rockies and lings there, and sometimes salmon come in real close.

Rusty_Hooks
07-16-2005, 02:14 PM
For up north, try the South Jetty of Humboldt Bay. *Some very nice rockies and lings there, and sometimes salmon come in real close.

If your going to fish the jetties at Humboldt bay, make sure you check the tide tables. The best fishing is 1-2 hours before and after the ebb. don't try and fish the incoming tide on the northe jetty...you WILL get wet if not worse. the south getty can be treacherous and its not uncommon to see people washed off the jetty by incoming, wind driven waves that will exceed 15 feet.

The south is the best...take gear enough to cast long and heavy...you will be in 50-75 feet of water. Fish inside
the channel...you will need a long handled, large net.

Fish for your bait..... ::)

wear tennies or gripping sole shoes...no bifocals outside on the dolos...The surging water and the structure of the dolos aren't very forgiving.

blue_chrush
07-17-2005, 08:55 AM
piegon pt and the cove on the right and near it....
the pic below shows a bay that is full of lings..
its protected from the wind and easy to get in/out
of, there is camping on the beach's north/south of
this spot, and I'll post the link so you can see the
whole coast line and pick a spot befor you drive there..
this is an awsome tool......

http://www.small.images.californiacoastline.org/images/2004/small/200401015.JPG

here the site...

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=200401015&mode=sequential&flags=0& year=current

Rusty_Hooks
07-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Pidgeon point is also great for barred, rubberlip and rosetail perch

Finesse
07-17-2005, 09:03 AM
thanks for the input all, im planning a trip here soon. but im also trying to come up on a canoe or kayak instead of the tube.can't wait ;D

Finesse
07-17-2005, 10:51 PM
so lets say im banking it?....where and what? i like to fish artificial baits(jigs,spoons,etc)i have a bunch of fish traps and ling gear i just have never banked it up here.im guessing maybe squid or shrimp for bait? any tips are welcome ;D

Tight Lines!
Sean

blue_chrush
07-18-2005, 09:35 PM
go with the fish traps and jigs,,,
and maybe add a cut strip for fun.
then if that doesn't work then go for
the squid bait rigs as its cheap and stays
on the hook better and lings love squid....lol
anchovie is a given, it just comes off the hook
if its soft while casting....
ps,,,
if you catch a small 3/4" rockie leave it on and
clip on a trailer hook and throw it back.....
live bait it really good too....

Finesse
07-22-2005, 08:56 AM
this is the only way ill pick up a hitch hiker ;D

FishHappen
07-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd bring some bait and the lures you've mentioned. Bring various colors in the swimbaits, but white and chartruse are my favorites. Hopkin's spoons upto a couple of onces can also work well. I generally move around and try different spots during a low tide (if the terrain and access allow). If you find fish stay put for a while. If you can find a good hole (deep water and clear of too much kelp) you can stick with that, particullarly when the tide is moving. I generally try and fish two hours on either side of the low tide. Find an area where you can SAFELYmove out toward the deeper areas. Often this is the best fishing for me, but you have to know where to go and watch a couple of wave sets before commiting. Some scouting can really pay off.

Fishing at high tide can also be very good, but I usually will work from one spot. Find a whole where you can work lures or baits without getting snaged in kelp all the time. I just find I get tangled up more in the kelp at high tides.

As for bait, I've generally had better luck with anchovies for some reason. Buy good ones though, a bag of anchovies will be a bag of anchovie soup before you get half way through the day. Throw a small ice pack in the bag next to them and they will stay in good shape all day. I put half a bait on each of two hooks (cut on an angle about half way down the body). I use 2/0 to 4/0 hooks and for the head feed it through the eye then loop it back and hook all the way through the body so the eye of the hook rest near the anchovie's eye. On the tail, push the hook through once and loop it back so the caudal fin is near the eye of the hook. This seems to keep the bait on the hook pretty well.

I don't use hooks with leaders but tie my own leaders about 3-1/2 feet long with drop loops at about a foot and 2-1/2 feet above the sinker. Connect the hooks directly to the drop loops - you'll get fewer snags and the fish don't seem to mind. I use 20# test main line and 12# or 15# test leader. Bring an assortment of weights from 2 to 4 ozs.

I've had good luck at the Pillar Point north jetty (Half Moon Bay), Franklin Point (between Pigeon Point and Ano Nuevo). "Up North" there are some good spots around the point and north of Fort Ross. Also up around Salt Point, but the surf there can be dangerous.

As for the float tube, well I wouldn't do it. But if you're determined to try, Timber cove is pretty sheltered, and so is Fort Ross. Both can have a lot of fish in the deeper areas. I'd be sure and wear a full wet suit though in case you need to bailout.

Well if you had the patience to read through all of this you certainly have what it takes to catch some fish. Good luck!

Finesse
07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
thanks for the input ;D its greatly appreciated ;D and will be takin into consideration. im still deciding on what the best spot would be, im not totaly stuck on the float tube idea. i just pondered it, but i don't think i have a big enough pair to get in by myself ;D any spots where i could dive my Jeep up on the beach to launch my aluminum? im on 4"s of lift and 33" tsl's so i can get around some hairy stuff if needed ;D

Tight Lines!
Sean

Finesse
07-24-2005, 06:19 PM
anyone?

FishHappen
07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey Finesse. Timbercove will launch boats upto 18' (at least the last time I was there), but they charge a fair amount. Call them at 707-847-3278 to get details. I believe you can also launch at Ocean Cove, just north of there. Again, they charge but I'm pretty sure it is less than Timbercove charges. I know people launch inflatables from the beach at Fort Ross but I don't know if you can launch anything else there. I think it is a "drag'em across the beach" kind of launch.

Hope that helps.

meatboat
07-25-2005, 06:28 PM
That is my secret abalone spot (When it was open anyway)Good urchin bed to.(The lighthouse)
Don't tell anyone