Trout_Terminator
07-24-2005, 02:51 PM
eat it...

wayneo
07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Give it to me ;D ;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
You could smoke it...but a hundred pounder will take a couple of copies of the LA Times Sunday edition to roll it in otherwise you can't keep it lit. ;D

Seriously, a lot of people have the stuff canned at the landing or you could can it yourself.

I can about 200# of Albacore every year and it turns out great.

I find the rates at the landing for canning tuna pretty steep myself.

You could also plan on freezing some if you have a freezer, but make sure you use one of those vacume sealers as your fish will end up freezer burned crab bait within a month if you don't

marnilr
07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
You could also plan on freezing some if you have a freezer, but make sure you use one of those vacume sealers as your fish will end up freezer burned crab bait within a month if you don't

I've done this... most of it worked fine but I had some that didn't seal right because of too much liquid in the fish. And from what I found... freezer burnt tuna isn't very good crab bait. ;D

Rusty_Hooks
07-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Canning tuna is easy...

You need a large pressure cooker canner....

and a gajillion, six ounce jars with sealing lids(wide mouth)or pints if you eat alot of tuna

Then there is the fish....best to have the deck hand fillet the fish and take the fillets home for the process.

If you think you can handle filleting a 100 pound tuna...

find the nearest flatbed truck, near a large hole in the ground....

save yourself the headaches and trouble...have it done ;)

Take your fillets home and start the canning process...

That will be another thread in itself....I'll get my notes out and start one.....when is the trip and how much time do you have??......

Rusty_Hooks
07-24-2005, 04:51 PM
You could smoke it...but a hundred pounder will take a couple of copies of the LA Times Sunday edition to roll it in otherwise you can't keep it lit. ;D *

Now there is a True Humboldt County Joke... ;D ;D

JasonB
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I've done this... most of it worked fine but I had some that didn't seal right because of too much liquid in the fish. *And from what I found... freezer burnt tuna isn't very good crab bait. * ;D

Here's a tip I learned not long ago . When you are trying to vacume seal something thats very moist . First thing is to dab it with a paper towel prior to putting in the bag and the second thing which makes all the difference is to make the bags extra long . ;) I some times make stews or soup and seal up the left over's for camping trips . It usually takes two people but it works great .

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Now there is a True Humboldt County Joke... ;D ;D

Actualy that one came from San Diego. ;)

Arima_85
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
A couple of years ago i caught a 90 lb blue fin tuna & 25 albacore on a 5 day trip , i traded the albacore in for can tuna at the dock i think it was 4-5 cans per tuna , the blue fin i wanted to bring home, the trader guy owned a fish market he filleted the blue fin vacked packed it & shipped it with dry ice to my house for $60.00 . I followed him to his market to make sure i got my fish . They were only going to give me 10 cans of tuna for a 90 lb blue fin at the dock i would have gave it away to a local before i would have took 10 cans of tuna.

marnilr
07-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I plan on going on a long range trip out of San Diego and if I'm lucky and catch a large tuna what does a person do with it?
* * * * * * * * *preacher ???

Hey Preacher... what boat are you going on and when are you going?

SEEKER
07-25-2005, 04:00 AM
I've done this... most of it worked fine but I had some that didn't seal right because of too much liquid in the fish. *And from what I found... freezer burnt tuna isn't very good crab bait. * ;D
If you put it in the freezer for a short time and then vacume seal it you will have NO LIQUID problems. :D

vito
07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
My boss brought back a bunch from Mexico last year and I smoked it - it was excellent.