drdehave
01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Pretty sad--and no end (i.e., real rain) in sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsu6xdJJcfc

Jan 22, 2014 Update: Video taken at 2pm today--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFGrpi_sp_g

49erbassman
01-09-2014, 06:03 PM
That just adds a whole different perspective on just how low it is. Thank you for sharing.

Fish on!

LURKER916
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Very sad.... Thanks for the pictures!

Matt

ncreys
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Wow....unbelievable how low the water is; the video mentioned some construction, is the water even lower because of construction?

Definitely need some snow and rain.
Thanks for posting the video.

okie
01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
looks more like a creek than a reservoir. it seems like the whole west coast is drying up.
yes, its sad to see something like that.
be safe

PapaGreg
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, there is construction on-going, my son-in-law was trying to get on that job (he was living in Cameron Park at the time) but you wouldn't believe the politics/money wasted on the project already!!!!
I don't know nor do I want to know the details, suffice to say that WE are bearing the financial burden of the bueracratic BULL-****!!!!!!!
I believe the "project" has already been 2 years into it, but progress seems to be minimal.

PapaGreg
01-09-2014, 07:36 PM
All I got was music, is their narration also?

Owlman2
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
It is really sad, particularly since this is happening to most of the Nor Cal waterways.

It is sort of interesting wandering the exposed land though....there are many relics like old foundations and bridges that have been long submerged since the lake was flooded. Lots of snagged fishing tackle too, although most of it is not really usable anymore.

Owlman2
01-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah, there is construction on-going, my son-in-law was trying to get on that job (he was living in Cameron Park at the time) but you wouldn't believe the politics/money wasted on the project already!!!!
I don't know nor do I want to know the details, suffice to say that WE are bearing the financial burden of the bueracratic BULL-****!!!!!!!
I believe the "project" has already been 2 years into it, but progress seems to be minimal.

If you are referring to the construction of the new spillways, I am sure like everything the government does it is vastly overpriced and taking way longer than necessary. But IMHO there are very good reasons why they are being built.

ncreys
01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

No.....there were some titles to go along with each picture and one of :roadblock:the pictures stated something about "construction.":roadblock::roadblock:

PapaGreg
01-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Owlman, it's not just the spillways, they are going to raise the dam, or were planning to.:huh:

PapaGreg
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
BTW, that's part of the reason for the spillway construction, the raising of the dam.

redneckpunk
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Wow....unbelievable how low the water is; the video mentioned some construction, is the water even lower because of construction?

Definitely need some snow and rain.
Thanks for posting the video.

Its my understanding the water levels were scheduled to be lowered to a certain point to complete the construction. However, levels are much lower than was needed.

~RNP

Owlman2
01-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Owlman, it's not just the spillways, they are going to raise the dam, or were planning to.:huh:

Whoa...are you sure? I know a little bit about what is going on there, and I never heard anything about the dam being raised.

The spillways will allow the lake to safely hold more water, because they will allow more "timely" adjustment of the lake's levels. So basically they can allow the lake level to rise higher, and still have adequate ability to lower the level if an unexpected storm hits or whatever. The spillways provide added insurance to prevent the dam structure from ever being "overtopped" if it was in a near full state and a sudden storm hit. Maybe you heard the lake would be holding more water and figured that meant raising the dam?

But I am pretty sure the plans never called for physically raising the dam. That would be an unimaginably huge project, because it would involve not only the concrete dam structure (which I don't think would be possible) but also all of the earthen dikes around Granite Bay and Mormon Island.

drdehave
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Negative--only some captions, upper right, each frame.

Here is the link to what is going on with the Spillway Project--actually an "Auxilliary Spillway" to help meet 1 in 200-year flood protection:

Sacramento District > Missions > Civil Works > Folsom Dam Auxiliary Spillway (http://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/FolsomDamAuxiliarySpillway.aspx)

combo
01-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Nice pics,Stampede is going through the same type of dumb ass construction by raising the dam 11.5 feet,investigations revealed stampede would be overtopped by floodwater during a 75,000 year flood event, after the multi million dollar project the dam will pass the 250,000 year probable max flood "PMF" 3year project

drdehave
01-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Folks: Folsom Reservoir continues to drop at a rate of about 1% every 2 weeks, even with the American River at a record, fish-killing low of 500 cfs!

This is what it looked like today (video, not pictures) at 2pm, as I flew home from Lake Tahoe--where I was recording the non-existent snowpack on video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFGrpi_sp_g

49erbassman
01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Again....your videos add a whole new perspective to just how bad it is. I used to catch tons of bass on some of those dried up points. Good time to study the structure I guess

Fish on!

IronClad
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Yep.. if you want to make something good out of the situation go for a boat ride and study the terrian for future reference. It's what i'll be doing tomorrow on lake oroville.

GoneCountry
01-23-2014, 05:20 AM
ITS BAD and going to worse saw this yeterday18711

win1903
01-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Are there any boat ramps still in the water at Folsom?

49erbassman
01-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Are there any boat ramps still in the water at Folsom?

No and I don't believe there have been for well over a month now

Fish on!

WLShafor
01-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Hopefully y'all will get a lot of rain fall in Spring! Head to Folsom Lake and toss those crawdad traps!!!

"Wisdom begins in wonder." —Socrates