PDA

View Full Version : Berry Skunk

Capt Nemo
01-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Hoping for some trout action today. Nada! One strike, but who knows what.

Started at the cove east of Skier's on the south side. Marked a few fish at 20-30 feet, so used a topline with sling blade and a p-line minnow and a sling blade and crawler on the downrigger.

After 4 circles there, we headed over to the point south of the Ranch House. Trolled north around the mound to the cove, through the cove and zig-zagged out towards Goat Is. Marked a couple of fish at 35-40. Pulled in and headed to Capell.

Trolled up Capell Cove and gave up.

Only saw 2 fish hit the surface. Water temp 52-53 F. Used p-line minnow, small yo-zuri trout, apex, kastmaster, wedding ring, crawler, rapala all with assorted sling blades and dodgers and scents from the surface to 40 feet. Three rods.

Beautiful day, calm, sunny. Can't complain, but hoping the trout get active soon!

Sure interested in anyone who is having luck with trout in Berryessa!!

salmonid
01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the report, despite the catching! At least you put some time in on a nice day.

Lots of us are looking for places to go fish so more info is better for deciding where. Can you give the launch you went out of? I'm not familiar with that reservoir, but I might check it out.

Best,

fyrmedic707
01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the report. I keep wanting to go back there, but the reports are not supporting the time/ money to get up there. In the last 4 trips I have had there, I think I only have 4 fish. Not the most productive. And I have tried pretty much every depth and color/ lure combo in the box.

A report from earlier in the week said they saw a LOT of bait, and the fish did not seem interested. Makes sense to me, if the fish are getting easy food, then why would they go after our stuff?? Better luck next time!

Capt Nemo
01-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the report, despite the catching! At least you put some time in on a nice day.

Lots of us are looking for places to go fish so more info is better for deciding where. Can you give the launch you went out of? I'm not familiar with that reservoir, but I might check it out.

Best,

Yeah, sorry for the late response. I went out of the Capell Creek launch on Lake Berryessa. I was concerned about lake levels and launching, but the ramp is still an easy launch. My best guess is that another 10' of reservoir drop and the end of the ramp will be exposed.

And, yes to the nice day! If we're not going to see rain, then at least enjoy the weather!
-- Nemo--

Capt Nemo
01-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the report. I keep wanting to go back there, but the reports are not supporting the time/ money to get up there. In the last 4 trips I have had there, I think I only have 4 fish. Not the most productive. And I have tried pretty much every depth and color/ lure combo in the box.

A report from earlier in the week said they saw a LOT of bait, and the fish did not seem interested. Makes sense to me, if the fish are getting easy food, then why would they go after our stuff?? Better luck next time!

Man, you got me!! We didn't see any bait. Last Jan lots of bait and lots of action. Thing about these critters is figuring them out! They seem to change their minds without any reason that I can see! That's what makes it fun, tho!

Good luck out there!

-- Nemo --

Fish_For_It
01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Thought I would add my 2 cents to the Berryessa trout reports. Fished last week, trolling mainly from Goat Island to the Big Island down to the Ranch House. Had one hit on a broken back Rapala and it turned out to be a 2+ pound smallmouth. Not what we were looking for, but better than a skunk. Fish was caught on the downrigger at 35'. Fished from the surface down to 45' with a variety of lures for no other hits. Beautiful day, but we need some rain to get these fish going.

salmonid
01-17-2014, 07:28 PM
No problem!

Thanks for the good info. Some folks were worried about the launching conditions there, but it sounds good to go.

Thanks much,

Yeah, sorry for the late response. I went out of the Capell Creek launch on Lake Berryessa. I was concerned about lake levels and launching, but the ramp is still an easy launch. My best guess is that another 10' of reservoir drop and the end of the ramp will be exposed.

Afishinado
01-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Capt Nemo me my bro and nephew where at the berry last sunday and we had to work hard for the fish we got. We ended up with 7 trout to the boat and 4 of the 7 where as ugly as they get with kopods. All fish where cought on top. best setup was the panther martins in black with plainer boards. best location was 4 at the bridge and 3 at the narrows. The nice weather made up for the slow fishing.