PDA

View Full Version : finding native trout

glyang1971
01-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Where are some spots that one can catch native trout in the bay area? I know you can find them in the Creek going into Almaden Lake. Are there any other streams where wild trout can be found? I'd also be curious if there are any lakes with native trout like Maybe Loch Lomond getting native trout from Newell Creek or Anderson Dam getting some from swimming in from Coyote Creek. BTW anywhere I try to fish for native trout I will go barbless and release anything I catch. thanks in advance!

Troutbead
01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
do some reseach and you can find them. With our drought they might just disappear. There are several places in the Santa Cruz mountans down to Big Sur that have them. Sometimes they require loooong hikes. Look out for poison oak and rattlesmakes. :grin:

bassman408
01-15-2014, 03:48 PM
You may want to read the regs first, because that creek you speak of by Almaden Lake is prohibited to fishing during this time of year. Not to mention, those are steelhead that you are seeing which you cannot target, even for catch and release in that creek.

Owlman2
01-15-2014, 04:40 PM
It is a tricky question. Do you mean wild or native?

If the answer is wild, the middle fork of the upper AR (anything about Folsom lake) has never been stocked and contains a lot of rainbows and browns. The brown is not native but the ones in the middle fork will certainly be wild.

If you truly mean native fish, it would have to be goldens, lahontan cutthroat, or rainbows in some waters. I am certain that probably 90% plus of the rainbows caught in the state are probably hatchery fish. But if they are "holdovers" it is pretty much impossible to tell.

If you are 100% determined to catch a native fish, I would break out the backpack and hiking boots and go after goldens. Some internet research should tell you where to start....it will have to be above about 10K feet.