PDA

View Full Version : Swimbaits for Halibut/ Rockfish

Fishyfingers
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Wanting to hear from some of you pros who use swimbaits for Halibut and Rockfish/Lingcod. I have had limited success with an all white Swimbait with a 3 ounce lead head. Dropping straight down and jigging it. Let me know what other techniques are used as well as color of swimbaits and leadhead weight. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fishyfingers

Finesse
07-22-2005, 09:34 AM
you seem to have the right idea, and im sure you know if you get a smaller fish on(rockfish,bass) then let him swim around for a minute ;)see if someone wants to join the ride.

ken_fishnfool
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I use 5" fishtraps in anchovy and mackeral colors. They work for rockcod, lings and halibut! Jig the bottom but don't forget to reel halfway up and drop them down again, once in a while (for the midwater fish like blacks and yellowtails). 1 to 4 ounces jig head depending on wind, current, and depth.

GXC6
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
5" Rainbow Trout color. Big baits= Big fish. I consistently get the Lings and big Reds to take. If you miss the fish, it was probaly a small one. Try differnt colors if your'e not getting bit. Unlike rock fish that usually get jaw hooked, the lings will suck the bait half way down their throat and then immediatley dive under a rock ledge. So when you feel the bite, set the hook quickly and start reeling it up to help prevent loosing the fish and lure from getting snagged up. If that happens, free spool the line for a couple of seconds and then pull up hard again. Many times you can get them turned so you can pull them back out. If your'e drifting to fast, slack the line and move the boat back over the fish and try again. Keep trying as 9 out of 10 times you can bring the fish to the boat using that method.
Best Fishes,
PismoG

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I fish a lot of halibut here in Humboldt bay and have gotten quite a few using Fish Traps or Big hammers, these are the best two swimbaits around in my opinion.

http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/index.html

http://www.fishtraplures.com/

The above links will give you some great tips on how to fish these great lures.

For me with the halibut I use a dark purple swimbait 4-5 inches with a "Stinger" hook and 1/2 to 3/4 oz head.

The rockfish don't seem to really care about the colors and lings like white Kailin grub tails here but will eat most anything.

Favorite ling bait for me is an 8" sand dab, it's like Ling candy.

Also I'm fishing shallow, like 20 feet or less and also using lighter gear (Newell220-5 and Seeker 196-7) with 12 pound line.

Halibut are not great fighters and you don't need heavy hear, a lot of guys that fish then are using 8-10 pound test.

A lot of Yakers and tube guys do great with light gear.
WWW.baytubers.com
great 'Butt pictures here and more tips too.

Fishyfingers
07-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I just read through the thread, great feedback everyone. Thanks again.

Fishyfingers