PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

renorich1945
01-17-2014, 07:21 AM
I recently retired and just bought an old class "C" rv and want to try it out for a few days. I live in Sparks, NV and usually fish between April and November, but I'm biting at the bit to get out of the cold and do some fishing. I would like some advice on where would be a good camping and fishing spot to go to that I can set up and fish from shore. ( I have a boat but won't be taking it on this first trip ) The rv is self-contained, so I don't have to have hook-ups, even though that would be nice. I've been reading the forums, I really enjoy the sniffer, and see good and bad reports on some of the lakes. What I'm really looking for is a nice area that can give me some fishing action. Any advice? Thank you.

USMCmatt
01-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Hi Renorich! First of all congrats on retiring! I would recomment Collins Lake. Very good shore fishing this time of year. Good stock of rainbows. Lots of RV camping spaces with or without hookups that are close to the shore. You won't go wrong by checking it out.

Collins Lake :: Northern California Fishing, Camping and Boating (http://www.collinslake.com/)

salmonid
01-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Pyramid lake?

Captain Compassion
01-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Pyramid lake?

Well Duh!!! $10 per night to camp. $10 per day for fishing Permit. No water or hook ups but you can wander down to the shore and fish all day. You can find flat places to set up your rig at Warrior, Pelican, Wino, Block house and Popcorn. You live in Sparks so these places are around 1/2 hour away.

CC

Lifted
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
If you're looking for something close to Reno, Lake Davis and Frenchmans both have nice campgrounds, and the fishing should be pretty good right now. Hopefully I'll be going to one of the two this weekend and I'll post a report.

sendogg
01-17-2014, 12:05 PM
melones- i will be at gh sat. have gotten limits every time. dont even bother with my boat.
lures and/or bait doesnt matter. bt

renorich1945
01-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Renorich! First of all congrats on retiring! I would recomment Collins Lake. Very good shore fishing this time of year. Good stock of rainbows. Lots of RV camping spaces with or without hookups that are close to the shore. You won't go wrong by checking it out.

Collins Lake :: Northern California Fishing, Camping and Boating (http://www.collinslake.com/)

It's been a couple of years since I've been to Collins. Think I will end up there the end of this coming week. Thank you.

renorich1945
01-17-2014, 09:07 PM
If you're looking for something close to Reno, Lake Davis and Frenchmans both have nice campgrounds, and the fishing should be pretty good right now. Hopefully I'll be going to one of the two this weekend and I'll post a report.

I'm an old fart and like warm and comfort. I fish Frenchman's every week in april thru october, but I don't like to ice fish so I stay away till april. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jeepman775
01-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I am learning about Pyramid, and the shore sounds badass when it is hot on the correct beach. Later in the year I would take you out to have a nice mid-week limit or two on Topaz. If your newtewyew ride is a Winnie, I can key you into some things to watch out for.

renorich1945
01-18-2014, 03:47 AM
I am learning about Pyramid, and the shore sounds badass when it is hot on the correct beach. Later in the year I would take you out to have a nice mid-week limit or two on Topaz. If your newtewyew ride is a Winnie, I can key you into some things to watch out for.

It's an older Tioga. Well kept by the person I bought it from. It looks like I'm going to have to go to Pyramid in April for the fest. A few sniffers have said it's a great time at Pyramid, and my son's friend has won the tournament there two times.

Jetspray
01-18-2014, 07:03 AM
It's an older Tioga. Well kept by the person I bought it from. It looks like I'm going to have to go to Pyramid in April for the fest. A few sniffers have said it's a great time at Pyramid, and my son's friend has won the tournament there two times.
It should be a good one this year at Pyramid. I hope things improve on the water situation......Jetspray