PDA

View Full Version : Stuckville, Ca

Prettyman01
01-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Made a treck thru the snow and ice to a Sierra lake in search of big browns. Thought the worst was over when I reached the lake but found it quite low. Got stuck when I tried to cross a very small stream and the bottom fell out from underneath me. Unhitched and tried to get out... No luck... At least 20 miles back to the highway and cell phone reception so I set a bit of a distress signal using an orange tool box in the middle of the snow covered road with some twigs spelling "help" and an arrow to my location. Luckily someone passed by and was able to get me to cell phone range where I called AAA and believe it or not I got a guy who was just crazy enough to drive back there and get me out. Told me it would be a $900 tow but would not let the company know it was off of county roads and I would be covered. Got the rig outta there before dark and took a long hot shower when I got home. Was in survival mode for most of the day and wad glad to be home.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/ygymetum.jpg

salmonid
01-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Way cool the tow truck guy helped you out!

Did you get a line wet at all?

Best,

Captain Compassion
01-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Gosh Prettyman. You must have stones the size of Eastern Sierra bolders. Glad you got out of a harrowing situation. Been stuck a time or three myself and I can feel your pain.

CC

fishingfrieda
01-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Cool tow truck driver. Glad you are safe and warm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

buckman78
01-18-2014, 09:24 PM
That's crazy. Actually you are crazy! Glad everything worked out, that must have been a pretty stressful time.

okie
01-18-2014, 09:29 PM
happy to hear yo're ok, yes, that kind of situation is stressful.
relax and think of 'what might have been', next time think
before you act.
be safe

Prettyman01
01-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Never really stressed out too much but I was more upset with myself for getting in that situation. Told myself I'd try till 2oclock to get out and then start to dig in for the night. Had plenty of warm clothes, a sleeping bag, shovel, axe, water, gas, and other stuff to make it a couple nights if need be, but I was glad it didn't come to that. I walked all over that area before hand to scout it out but neglected to check the areas of ice and snow that were covering the small run off creek. Basically it was 4 inches of solid permafrost layered on top and when it cracked the truck just dropped down in the sand below. Don't make these kinda trips solo very often for this very reason but there are very few out there that can handle this kind of fishing with me. Live and learn I suppose. Now I know of another hazard to look out for and another reason to thank the Man above for lookin out after me.