PDA

View Full Version : Braid and Etiquette

orkspace
07-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Will I get thrown off of a party boat if I use braid?

I just purchased a new baitcasting rig for (eventually) kayak fishing, plugging for stripers, and for use on party boats. To date I've only owned spinning equipment. One of the reasons that I decided to buy a baitcaster was so that I could use braid.

Anyway, I just spooled up with 20# powerpro spectra braid and I'm dying to go fishing w/ the new reel. Will everyone around me flip out if I use braid on a party boat? I'm pretty good about minding my line and I don't often snag up with other anglers.

I hate the tension that can arise between anglers on party boats -- in my experience, people drink too much and get stuid and aggressive when the bite is on. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd avoid party boats entirely.

wayneo
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Why ? Don't think it matters what line you use Braid or mono as far as tangles ;D

orkspace
07-16-2005, 09:10 PM
From what I've read, braid can cut mono in nothing flat. So, regardless of whose fault it is -- if anyone's fault, my line could end up cutting the lines of those people around me.

blue_chrush
07-17-2005, 08:26 AM
another reason for this is that the braided line once
you snag the bottom is hell to break off,, you need to
carry a stick to wrap the line around to break it off..
otherwise it will cut your hand wide open....
if thats the case use mono, I have both and 50% of the
times I totally love my mono.....

Rock_Hopper
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Ork - I think it's only on tuna boats where braid is looked down upon. For the reason you mentioned. You got a bunch of people (most of 'em rookies) hooking into big fish that are running all over the place. So tangles are common and you'd like to be able to untangle those lines. Usually not possible with braid.

But on rockfishing boats and most bay fishing boats braid is perfectly acceptable. Matter of fact on rockfishing boats braid is very common.

mike22ca
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I always use braid when I go, I never have any problems. No need to worry.

Fishbutt21
07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
I have used spectra braid on most of my chater boat trips with no problems or negative comments from deckhands.on tuna trips every one on board is using it as backing on live bait rods and as main line on trolling rods.even the rental gear on some long range boats use spectra braid.but I have not seen dacron braid used in years

redherring
07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I see some people use braided lines on party boats and no one seems to mind or even notice. It might be a little strong for rock fishing or when you are fishing stripers in the rocks, since those snags will be tough to break off. I mainly use mono and have never had problems with fish breaking off, most of my break offs can be attributed to snaps, swivels, hooks, and snags. I don't like using braid myself because I worry about breaking my poles more than anything else or cutting my hand up. I have seen a few guys get snagged up and ended up cutting off at the pole a few times, where at the end of the day they didn't have much line left in their spools.

gmdcdvm
07-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I have seen people use braided line, and it doesn't seem like the crew had an issue with it. Sometimes they even point it out and ask about it, but mainly as a conversation starter and not to discourage it.
You could try using a top shot of mono just so that you still have the capacity, but are able to break it off if you snag up on the rocks. Since you can only fish less than 120ft maybe a 200ft top shot would be perfect for most days.

orkspace
07-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks all for the feedback!

tankgrunt
07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Good point about the depth restriction El Jefe. I started using sprectra so I could pull lings out of 300+ ft of water. In the shallower water it doesn't have quite the same level of benefit.

triggerfish
07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
if you know what you are doing,then it perfectly acceptible. If you are tangeling everyone then the captn.will probbaly insist that you use one of the boat rods.

Michaelnkr
06-20-2019, 03:49 AM
Always do this and help partners. It's like breaking yourself

Fish-on
06-25-2019, 07:04 AM
I have been using braid on party boats the last 5 years and never had anyone say anything. I use 50# braid and usually have 10í of 20-25# mono just Incase I snag the bottom. The mono will break first. My first season I didnít use the mono topshot and when I snagged it was a huge PITA to break off. When you spend $50 on a spoil of braid you donít want to lose it to the rocks

BigUnInDaBoat
06-25-2019, 08:25 AM
I guess this thread got necro'd Just noticed the date. 15 years ago lol.

one more cast
06-25-2019, 12:56 PM
I have used spectra braid on most of my chater boat trips with no problems or negative comments from deckhands.on tuna trips every one on board is using it as backing on live bait rods and as main line on trolling rods.even the rental gear on some long range boats use spectra braid.but I have not seen dacron braid used in years

That is one creepy shark picture!

adalah
07-05-2019, 10:18 AM
never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to followhttps://juragan.club/assets/7/o.png