PDA

View Full Version : Catching shiners?/

arima
07-17-2005, 02:23 PM
What the best way to find and catch shiners. Also how tough are they compared to anchovies. Will they live in a bucket if you cange the water frequently. I have a great bait tank for chovies but just wondering how shiners will work in a bucket. Thanks

Arima

Fishbutt21
07-17-2005, 07:49 PM
shiners live around kelp beds and pilings and can be caught on a small trout pole on worms,shrimp or bait jigs "sabikis" they seem to be tougher then anchovies to me.I have two bait tanks on my boat one the is pumping fresh water from outside and one that is a fish box that has a bilge pump to just move the water around and I have been able to keep shiners for up to three days with no die off and the boat was on the trailer for that time.
Hopes this helps
Matt :)

bluestar
07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I use a trap to catch shiners. Tried with a rod a few times, caught nothing >:( , so I gave up on that.

Using traps is very effective; I have not needed to buy shiners for many years now.

Agree shiners are stronger than anchovies, but still pretty weak. They seem like easily go into a "state of shock" (disoriented) if handled too rough, and if they leave water for just 15 seconds some exhibit same symptom. I use a bucket and aerator if need to transport them with car; once on boat I change water every now and then and that's seems sufficient.

nogimmies
07-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Bluestar,
Did you makeyour trap or purchase it.
What are the dimensions--size wise
Thanks --nogimmies

Rock_Hopper
07-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Get a castnet!

bluestar
07-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Bluestar,
Did you makeyour trap or purchase it.
What are the dimensions--size wise
Thanks --nogimmies

I make my own. *It takes a bit of practice to be perfect, and some building skill helps, but you can get a workable product in the first try.

Go to home depot and get a roll of 1/2" galvanized wire mesh, plus some galvanized wire. *The mesh comes in 2' width and various lengths. *

Steps:

1) Cut a piece of mesh that is 2' wide by 4' long, then on the long-side bend it 90 degrees every one foot so the thing folds into a square tunnel that is 1'x1'x2'. *Find an edge such as your back porch step to help with the bending.

2) Cut small pieces of galvanized wire to secure the two loose edges together, or you can simply bend the spikes at the end of the wire mesh, if you have not cut them off. *

3) Cut three piece of 1'x1' wire mesh, seal one end of the tunnel but make it a flap door, the remaining two go on the other end, forming a "V" shape entrance.

Wala.....a shiner trap. *Attach a rope and you are in business!!!!

For bait, I use mussels; crack them open and toss into the trap.

Timing wise, I find standing tide the best; two minutes and you can harvest....takes less time to catch shiners than getting the boat ready. If you are at an area where there is no current then I suspect any time will do.

Final tip. *Traps erode in salt water so depending on usage you will need to build more in the future. *I always get large rolls of mesh wire to save money.

nogimmies
07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.
Also Ive tried the cast net and end up catching all kinds of stuff above the water-(fishing partners, Motor,bait bucket, antenna,Super models-----------I wish!!!!!
THink I'll give the trap a try.