PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Amador 1-20-14

NaughtyFlashLures
01-22-2014, 08:02 AM
This is a slightly late post, been away from my computer or a couple days.

We launched at Amador a little after sunrise on MLK, had a couple people waiting at the launch. My son was not liking getting up in the dark and taking the hour + drive, but all that changed as the day went on. The goal of the day was to let my son have some fun reeling in fish, and get accustomed to boat fishing.

The water is very low, as is the case everywhere it seems. The launch itself is really skinny, and without a pair of waders you are likely going to get wet putting the boat in or taking he boat out, unless you have help and can drive your boat off/on your trailer.

There were lots of bank fisherman near the dam, and a few boats out ahead of us, so we got away from them and headed straight to the back of the lake.

We picked up our first fish on a rapala just out of the dam area, for a planter it fought really well giving my boy what I was hoping for, a little excitement in the boat.

Made a trip to the back of the lake marking quite a few fish, mostly in 20-40 feet of water.

I'm new to having a decent fish finder and didn't fall for it, we kept our top line approach and continued in a big circle around the lake working the points. We noticed several boats on the lake on our way back towards the marina, quite a few in fact. For a tiny lake that was so low it seemed pretty busy.

We picked our next fish in almost the same spot, but literally in the middle of lake, we got cut off in our trolling lane and pushed out to the middle. Worked out well, My boy got to have fun with his first double. He brought in the first fish, then netted the second fish.

After making it back up to the Dam we turned around and headed back. By this time there were a ton of boats on the water, everybody going different speeds, going both directions on both sides of the lake, and cutting in and out of each other. We went straight back down the middle to avoid it all. Again it worked out for us as we picked up our last fish around 9:30 am.

Continued on until about 11 am, just too many boats out for such a small lake, we called it as my son was getting bored. 4 fish wasn't what I was hoping for but none the less we had a good time.

Two fish came on rapala's running 3-6 feet deep (my guesstimate), 2 on spinners that I was testing around the same depth. They are planting 1000 lbs a day I believe, so the lake is full of fish. Be careful if your taking your boat, or bring good shoes if your banking it. Its a healthy walk to get down to the water.

-NFL

Jfitalia
01-22-2014, 09:23 AM
I was hoping for more fish for you guys.

Good thing there was a guy in waders that helped you launch!!!!! :rollingstones:

NaughtyFlashLures
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
I was hoping for more fish for you guys.

Good thing there was a guy in waders that helped you launch!!!!! :rollingstones:

No Kidding, I ended up in the water to my knees to get the boat back on the trailer by myself. I appreciate you helping at the launch though J. I think we could have done better, Aiden was losing focus and getting bored, I was trying to keep him the game and get us back into the areas that were producing, just sooo many boats out there on MLK.

Thanks again J.

Jfitalia
01-22-2014, 11:07 AM
No Kidding, I ended up in the water to my knees to get the boat back on the trailer by myself. I appreciate you helping at the launch though J. I think we could have done better, Aiden was losing focus and getting bored, I was trying to keep him the game and get us back into the areas that were producing, just sooo many boats out there on MLK.

Thanks again J.

Yeah that was the worst I have seen it all year. If I go back this year it'll be in my yak or toon. I really want to hit it with my fly rod.

fishingfrieda
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Awesome report! Glad your son didn't get skunked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk