PDA

View Full Version : Cooking freshwater Bass

chriscarnes
12-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Does anybody know of a good to way cook freshwater large mouth bass? I catch them in my mothers pond all the time but, they never taste good. I think it is because there is a high algae and mud content in the water.I was thinking of trying a bouilabaisse.Thank you

SuperDave
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I've heard of soaking catfish in buttermilk overnight before cooking and I always assumed it was to get rid of mud taste. Try the buttermilk soak and then beer batter fry in small chunks.

FishbucketII
01-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I do the duck breasts in Buttermilk for a couple days... I think it helps.. :-/

Other then that I'd batter and fry like Dave suggests. I baked one once. It's to fatty for that.

Bigg A
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I dont think bass are edible...thats why most anglers catch and release... ;D ;D. I eat alot of fish but I dont like the way bass taste at all. They have a weird kinda watery taste to there meat.. :P

sethonious
01-25-2010, 01:52 AM
I smoked a bass one time, with the thought that any smoked fish is a good fish. I was wrong. It was not good, or at least didn't suit my tastes.

Bouillabaisse is not cooking 101, cleaning the fish carcass correctly just for making the broth is very "upper division" type stuff. Good luck if you try though!

chriscarnes
01-28-2010, 06:53 AM
The bite has really slowed down at my pond, but come spring I will definately try the buttermilk idea. Those large mouth are fun to catch even if I dont eat them.

okie
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
the bass i have eaten out here i caught in anderson lake, it was good. i just cleaned it, dipped it in a tempura batter and fried it in a little canola oil.
i tried catfish from clear lake, and it tasted funny, even soaked it in milk. in ok where i grew up we caught channel cats in the arkansas river there by muskogee, cleaned them, dipped them in eggs then flour or cornmeal and fried them in crisco lard and they were excellant.

warlord431
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Try flushing them out by leaving them in clean water for 1-2 days alive ( ice chest with garden hose on very low) and then clean and eat them, it does help get rid of the muddy taste. One the the tricks it steaming them and after they cooked finish them by pouring a little smoking hot oil on it, it also get rid of the fishy taste.

Bloodthirsty
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Try not fishing for bass. Unless they r striped. Then u filet em and put them in beer batter with malt vinegar and tarter sauce. Tons of recipes for other specices. PM me. I fish to eat good ...not for a sport. I have turned into a sportsman because of it.

Bigg A
02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Try not fishing for bass. Unless they r striped. Then u filet em and put them in beer batter with malt vinegar and tarter sauce. Tons of recipes for other specices. PM me. I fish to eat good ...not for a sport. I have turned into a sportsman because of it.

I agree... 8-)

nickjew1
02-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Any fish is good, you just have to know how to cook them.* I love black bass because of the flaky meat. You can try steaming it with green onions and ginger, then when it's done, pour soy sauce and sizzling hot veggie oil over it, just like the Chinese restaurants.* Either that or deep fry it. mmm

Bigg A
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Any fish is good, you just have to know how to cook them.* I love black bass because of the flaky meat. You can try steaming it with green onions and ginger, then when it's done, pour soy sauce and sizzling hot veggie oil over it, just like the Chinese restaurants.* Either that or deep fry it. mmm

What makes you think we cant cook? Bass are not a fish I enjoy no matter how they're cooked. Why do you think there is so many of them...lol. ;D

nickjew1
02-14-2010, 07:04 AM
haha no offense, i suppose it also comes down to preference. I prefer bass over trout any day. You know bass is a popular dinner item amongst asians! lol

Bigg A
02-14-2010, 12:28 PM
haha no offense, i suppose it also comes down to preference.* I prefer bass over trout any day.* You know bass is a popular dinner item amongst asians! lol

Really?

LILALILFA
02-23-2010, 05:24 AM
haha no offense, i suppose it also comes down to preference.I prefer bass over trout any day.You know bass is a popular dinner item amongst asians! lol

Really?

Yep, depending on what kind of asian folks...They'll take the bass n e day before the trout...hahaaa...It alson applies to fishing for them too.

spy007
02-26-2010, 11:36 PM
All you need to do to make bass or catfish edible is, fillet the fish out, cut it into bite sized chunks or slice the fillets into thin steaks no more than about 3/8 inch thick, soak it in plain milk at least 1 hour, but prefer overnight. Then rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels, then cook as you prefer. As a suggestion of coatings, My cousin from back east cooked up some catfish we for us that we had just caught and all he did was take the prepared fish, squirt a little lemon juice on the fish, pepper to your liking, then dip it in plain cornmeal, then drop in in the deep fryer until the fish surfaces, then remove and season it with salt or your favorite seasonings (came out awesome). or you can use a tempura batter as somebody mentioned before or a cracker based coating like the one i've included below.

P.S. using buttermilk to soak fish for long periods may
cause it to become mushy or lose texture because the enzymes in it may possibly cause the muscle tissue to breakdown.

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups butter-flavored cracker crumbs (ritz)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound of your favorite fish
cooking oil to fry with

In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine cracker crumbs, garlic salt, oregano, tarragon and pepper. Cut fish into serving-size pieces, dip in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry fish for several minutes on each side or
until it flakes easily with a fork (or deep fry and remove after the fish surfaces the oil).

I have not tried this recipe yet, but would love to hear opinions of those who try it. ;)

okie
02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
i prefer bass over trout, but my favorite is channel catfish, from clean water. soakin in milk for several hours or overnight helps with fish from places like ponds that dont have running water. clear lake cats need soaking, smaller ones are better for eating.
in my 16 years working in asia, i saw carp in every place i ate. the way they fix it, its great, better than oklahoma cats.

rodrascal
03-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Only tried bass once and didn't like it. I consider it just another trash fish such as carp, pikeminnows, etc., and throw them back.

fathom
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
The only reason people say Bass are not good to eat is because is of Bass Tournaments. Its not the Bass that tastes bad its the water they come out of, if you get them out of a good clean lake they will be good. You don't have to soak your fish in butter milk all you have to do is bleed your fish then rinse the fillet then cut into fish and chip size pieces. From here you can cook them just like any white meat fish, I like to cook them like Rock Cod and I have fed them to people who said they cant stand eating bass and they thought it was some of the best Rock Cod they have ever ate ( and they still don't know they ate Black Bass :rotfl2: )

Bigg A
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
The only reason people say Bass are not good to eat is because is of Bass Tournaments. Its not the Bass that tastes bad its the water they come out of, if you get them out of a good clean lake they will be good. You don't have to soak your fish in butter milk all you have to do is bleed your fish then rinse the fillet then cut into fish and chip size pieces. From here you can cook them just like any white meat fish, I like to cook them like Rock Cod and I have fed them to people who said they cant stand eating bass and they thought it was some of the best Rock Cod they have ever ate ( and they still don't know they ate Black Bass :rotfl2: )

I dont think its because of tournaments....its just personal preference.

fathom
03-13-2010, 11:45 AM
There is big money in Tournaments, if every body started eating Bass the Tournaments would not be hauling in as many fish and the fish size would be harder and harder to come by so they have us all brain washed <BASS=BAD> . In Kansas every body who eats fish eats Black Bass. If your personal preference is not to eat Bass I am not trying to force you to eat them I am just telling you they are good to eat.

BIG_ONE
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
With the right recipe for certain fish, especially where the fish comes out of. It will make a big difference if you want to eat bass. Bass are white meat fish, and the meat are flaky also after cooked. I myself, prefer bass over trout.

CrappieJed
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Fathom, I will have to agree with you—bass are white flakey meat. I have gone out to catch a mess of crappie for a fish fry and run short and catch a few bass to have enough fish for the fry. Nobody can tell the difference. The one thing no one touched on to get bass to taste good and its with all fish is you have to get the fish or flesh cold as you can as soon as you can. When I’m fishing for food I will have ice with me and that’s were the fish goes immediately. Another tip on eating bass and again like most fish don’t eat the large ones. The bass I keep to eat are around 13 to 15 inches. I will soak all my crappie and bass in ice water after filleting to harden the flesh it does work and does take out some of the wild. I garlic the meat roll in flour then roll in an egg milk bath and roll in the flour again. Fry in Wesson oil add some olive oil for a little richer flavor. Rolling the fish twice in the flour after the egg is dredging and that’s how you get that old style England fish and chip flavor. Bass is delicious why do you think before the 1970 you would see folks and even tournament fisherman with big stringers…because they loved to eat them. I do believe in catch and release but keep a few to eat too. Get the malt vinegar out and have a feast. (I think I may have convinced BA….lol)
Oh, I guess I should say if all I catch are spots when crappie fishing I may be eating a lot of bass…if you know what I mean? Right fullofcrappie?

Bigg A
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
No convincing me CJ.... I prefer crappie over bass anyday!!! The only bass I eat is a striped one...lol. With all the C&R people do, they become a nuisance while fishing for slabs. They are fun to catch sometimes but I dont wanna waste my time fishing for trash fish...lol :happy:

CrappieJed
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
oh ya crappie is great....i love trout too, lately i have been filleting them smoking or frying them.

young_sac_fisher
04-26-2010, 07:56 AM
lol you guys ever try ceviche? the best ceviche is made from freshwater bass no bad taste at all soak it in lime for about 2 hours but before you do that make sure the fish is minced pretty much let it soak in the lime a rule of thumb is no matter how much bass you have put it in a big round tupperware and allow 1-2" from the top of the bass to the lime juice or use your first knuckle of your finger as guidance the bass should be below the lime then using the cheese grater grate about 1/4 the amount of the weight of your bass of cucumber so if you have 8 pounds of bass 2 pounds of cucumber then chop up about 15 stems of cilantro and i mean stems the whole thing then grade about 1/8 of your weight of your bass of carrot 1/8 tomato finely chopped 1/8-1/4 onion depending on how much onion you like and if you want to chop some fresh jalapeno's and throw them in there now pour about 5 oz of the mexican hot sauce called TAPATIO and let the fish soak until the two hours are done when thats over with proceed to mixing everything up and putting over a tostada and chow down :wow_2: a real new flavor will burst your mouth with tangyness

fathom
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Sounds awsome!

Bigg A
04-27-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm gonna throw some bass I caught the other day with my dad in the smoker after its done marinating and see what that taste like. :spongebob:

CrappieJed
04-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm gonna throw some bass I caught the other day with my dad in the smoker after its done marinating and see what that taste like. :spongebob:
oh dont do it, it is nasty been there done that....yuk, its all about that beer batter and fresh garlic yuuumy!

Bigg A
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Too late CJ....they've been marinating for almost 24 hours now. If they taste like crap then I'll give it to the neighbors cats. I'm also gonna try what you suggested about icing the meat down and see if that gets rid of that wicked taste. That could be the very reason as to why I dont like there meat.

CrappieJed
04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Too late CJ....they've been marinating for almost 24 hours now. If they taste like crap then I'll give it to the neighbors cats. I'm also gonna try what you suggested about icing the meat down and see if that gets rid of that wicked taste. That could be the very reason as to why I dont like there meat.
BA have you had the bass yet?

Toxic_Waste
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't know what to make of all this. I was about to say I believe that off-flavors are due to the water, but then I remembered several incidences where bass, all from the same pond or lake, varied in smell and taste. I rarely keep any bass anymore, and never target them. But sometimes they just happen to bite. What's particularly perplexing is why some bass smell just like skunk. :skunk29gc:

Bigg A
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
BA have you had the bass yet?

Yes....it came out pretty good but I still need to catch a couple more and see if the icing the meat thing works for me.

Bigg A
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't know what to make of all this. I was about to say I believe that off-flavors are due to the water, but then I remembered several incidences where bass, all from the same pond or lake, varied in smell and taste. I rarely keep any bass anymore, and never target them. But sometimes they just happen to bite. What's particularly perplexing is why some bass smell just like skunk. :skunk29gc:

Thats what kinda threw me off about eating them.... they have a weird grassy algae smell to them. The meat wasnt any better in the fish either. Now the one I threw in my smoker was caught along a rocky shoreline and his meat was ok, unless the cherry wood I used killed the taste. I caught quite a few in the port of sac and the sac river in knights landing last year that were ok. I know it does make a difference where they come from.....dont see alot of people eating bass from Clear lake...lol. I still gotta give CJ's theory a try before I completely give up on bass.

CrappieJed
04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
it really has alot to do with the time of year as well...winter time not alot of aquatic plants are letting out gasses because not so much photosynthesis is prevalent. summer time comes bass will get that ugly taste because they don't mind warm water...Crappie tend to hang out in deeper cooler water thus their meat stays cooler and their not hanging around skunk weed coontail and other noxious plants.

Thats just my observation i didn't read about it, just been around bass, crappie and their habitats, managing lakes and ponds for many years.

BA glad you liked the smoked bass...i must have done something wrong, maybe because i did it like salmon...not sure?
CJ

Bigg A
05-11-2010, 08:44 PM
You mean it also applies to poaching for them too. right? :(

Here we go again....:violin:

Cal.Kellogg
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
"Puke" wanted things nipped in the bud....I agree...I nipped him in the bud by banning him from my website for being a racist moron....

puke1
05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
"Puke" wanted things nipped in the bud....I agree...I nipped him in the bud by banning him from my website for being a racist moron....

Cal. Kellog wanted to kick me for speaking my mind. What kind of bull s*** forum is this anyways. I enjoy reading other peoples posts about things and would like to add my opinions as well. You are a racist moron Cal Kellogg for using your "SUPER POWERS" to ban me from your forum. Just because i'm white, you think you can treat me like this? You are a racist pig and hope you get caught with all the *** fishing withought a fising license. Moron. :p

CRABBY
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Cal. Kellog wanted to kick me for speaking my mind. What kind of bull s*** forum is this anyways. I enjoy reading other peoples posts about things and would like to add my opinions as well. You are a racist moron Cal Kellogg for using your "SUPER POWERS" to ban me from your forum. Just because i'm white, you think you can treat me like this? You are a racist pig and hope you get caught with all the asians fishing withought a fising license. Moron. :p NOT sure what happened,but you are still here we have no place on this board for White Trash like you,I've Banned you all over again an will summit your web address an IP#to every board I'm on.MODERATOR

CRABBY
05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
hey guys you all had a good thread going here don't let this moron nickolas henschel(puke) at cal poly mess it up for ya keep up the good posts.Don

Cal.Kellogg
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Well you're banned again...Not because you're white, but because you're an idiot...This isn't a democracy...I don't allow hateful racist garbage on my site. And in this instance you have no right to post your opinion... ..If you want to spew that crap I'm sure you can find some cyber backwater that allows racist comments...If you have some time on your hands perhaps you should go down to the Berkeley or Oakland shoreline and toss around some racist comments to the gentlemen fishing in those areas and see how things work out for you!

CrappieJed
05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
hey guys you all had a good thread going here don't let this moron nickolas henschel(puke) at cal poly mess it up for ya keep up the good posts.Don
will do thanks Don and Cal.....

i really have been into smoking trout....lineside has caught alot of trout at bass lake and i have smoked them just like salmon....same brine and smoker procedures i did switch to shreaded cherry wood. i tell you i think i like it better then the salmon, maybe because its thinner i dont know its really good though.

CJ

Nick145
06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
i dont eat bass (LMB & SMB) because its very mushy i cant stand it im more of a trout person when it comes to eating fish catfish are also good but when you beer batter for any fish USE DARK BEER:cheers: (i pefer guinness) better flavor

CrappieJed
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
dark beer never tried that one...maybe thats the secret of the Englands old style beer batter fish

Bigg A
06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
One of the neighbors mentioned about boiling crawdads using a dark beer.... she says its really good!!!