PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from all the sniffers before i go crazy

monkey916
01-22-2014, 07:00 PM
long story short... me and my bro. went to run the boat... and since we were out... do some fishing... set the pick at scribners bend/ old sugar beet area... next thing were facing the freeport bridge with our rods... WTF... river always used to flow downstream up here... you youngins and the old timers let me know if i am too worried about this... turned my 17ft. around no wind... wrong way haha... turned my boat around and it will definately suck up salmon and steel head smolts... i been fishing here 30+ years... never happened... new pump pocket rd.... rant not over that was the short part....ps.. launched outta garcia bend... were talking above clarksburg area... silverbend christmas tree farm...

redneckpunk
01-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Im guessing that because of the very low flows on the rivers you were getting a tidal influence

~RNP

Wolf74
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Aliens. Nuff said.

Line Stretcher
01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm with RNP, if you stop and think about how much water you'd have to move to make the flow change directions an incoming tide is the only thing that makes sense. Check the tidal charts for that area. A pump would have to be huge to do that even in extremely low water conditions.

monkey916
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
i get ya RNP... i guess im worrying to much... thats the first time up here in all my 30+ years up this way fishing 6-7 months a year... in downtown that means youd be facing the mouth of the american at i street bridge... it was that strong but... ok ...i will calm down... thanks for the replies... wolf i though it was aliens too... the kind that build tunnels...

Wolf74
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Yep, Neptunians. Those pointy eared creeps.

salmonid
01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Monkey...

See, my idea could be right! Back in OR the tides affected the rivers pretty dramatically even in high flows. They would turn your boat around when they changed directions. What time were you and your bro out there, maybe 6am to 10am?

Here's the tide chart for today:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/random-pix/18710-cbtide.jpg

Best,

ps. how was the catching dude?

Im guessing that because of the very low flows on the rivers you were getting a tidal influence

~RNP

BIG_ONE
01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
For the past month these tides are able to move my 10 and 12 oz sinkers upstream during the incoming tide. Usually never happens much on the Sac River in that general area, but it has been happening lately. So I'm assuming its all normal...with some visitors if that makes you feel any better.

:baghead:

monkey916
01-22-2014, 08:15 PM
big you fish up here around clarksburg/ hood area... and you used that much weight...

BIG_ONE
01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
big you fish up here around clarksburg/ hood area... and you used that much weight...

From the bank...yes. Once the outgoing tide starts to shift, it will start drifting until it hugs about 10-20 yards from the shoreline.

monkey916
01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
well i guess you know what i was fishing for big one....

monkey916
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Monkey...

See, my idea could be right! Back in OR the tides affected the rivers pretty dramatically even in high flows. They would turn your boat around when they changed directions. What time were you and your bro out there, maybe 6am to 10am?

Here's the tide chart for today:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/salmonid/albums/random-pix/18710-cbtide.jpg

Best,

ps. how was the catching dude? thats what has me so flustered... dropped anchor after 10 am. checked the chart dropped anchor and it was 1 hour and ten minutes before the boat got right... its just me... i was wondering without the new pumps if my boat would face downstream... i guess thats all... rant over... i understand it yet don't get it... thanks guys... catching was non-existent but thats fine... next time...

monkey916
01-22-2014, 08:40 PM
thanks salmonid... and you all... i still feel sick to my stomach thinking about 30 + years and this has never happened... thanks again... maybe i will go punch some aliens or zombies... that made me laugh wolf...

49erbassman
01-22-2014, 09:01 PM
You were in a vortex man!! Another hour and you would have been facing the right way ;)

Fish on!

salmonid
01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
I think that chart is a prediction based on real sensors elsewhere? Not sure though.

But, it could be the tide predictions are a little bit off with the low flows? If so, I'm not sure which way they would change.. later or earlier.

thanks for posting, pretty interesting to read 'real world' changes because of the low water year.

Best,

thats what has me so flustered... dropped anchor after 10 am. checked the chart dropped anchor and it was 1 hour and ten minutes before the boat got right... its just me... i was wondering without the new pumps if my boat would face downstream... i guess thats all... rant over... i understand it yet don't get it... thanks guys... catching was non-existent but thats fine... next time...

BIG_ONE
01-22-2014, 09:13 PM
well i guess you know what i was fishing for big one....

Aliens? Did ya catch any? Darn I forgot, ya freaked out but ya almost had one...better luck next time! LOL jk.

:yoda1:

monkey916
01-22-2014, 09:25 PM
saw one about the size of jfit... lol... came up to say hi...

redneckpunk
01-22-2014, 09:27 PM
saw one about the size of jfit... lol... came up to say hi...

That was just a grass shrimp :helmut:

~RNP

Reel Fun
01-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I used to fish that area growing up. You launched at Garcia Bend and fished Scribners? You know you can launch across from scribners? As for the boat turned the wrong way.....YES that is the wrong way!!! No matter the tide it should always be outgoing! It will fill up and empty out but the flow should keep the boat facing towards Freeport and you fish towards Hood. I think with the low flow out of the AR it has allowed the tide to turn further upriver. Used to stop around Isleton and everything above that was outgoing from Shasta...the Feather....the AR etc. Just a sign of the times.....tides turning further upriver.......salt going further upriver.....fish going to hell!! RF

monkey916
01-23-2014, 09:16 AM
I used to fish that area growing up. You launched at Garcia Bend and fished Scribners? You know you can launch across from scribners? As for the boat turned the wrong way.....YES that is the wrong way!!! No matter the tide it should always be outgoing! It will fill up and empty out but the flow should keep the boat facing towards Freeport and you fish towards Hood. I think with the low flow out of the AR it has allowed the tide to turn further upriver. Used to stop around Isleton and everything above that was outgoing from Shasta...the Feather....the AR etc. Just a sign of the times.....tides turning further upriver.......salt going further upriver.....fish going to hell!! RF

thanks for the reply reel fun... yes... that was my concern no matter the tide the boat always faces downstream up here... or least it has for my 30+ years... i do know about that launch... merrits landing...

Jfitalia
01-23-2014, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=monkey916;985999]saw one about the size of jfit... lol... came up to say hi...

QUOTE]

oh man that must have been a small one then! :rotfl2: