PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on electric smokers???

Fishing_Fanatic
08-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Was thinking of investing in a smoker.. Any opinions on which brands, models, etc.. are the best?

I will probably be using it mostly for fish... trout, kokanee & King Salmon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;D ;D

SuperDave
08-19-2006, 01:01 PM
There's lots of levels of smokers. Some of the guys here that do a lot of smoking have the big box smokers and they do a professional job. I smoke probably a dozen pheasants a year and a half dozen batches of fish. This is the electric smoker I have and really love it for the level of smoking I do. The water pan for moisture is also a big plus. I put my marinate in the pan while smoking.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/51/61/14/i516114sn01.jpg

Off_The_Hook
08-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Dave, that is a nice smoker. I went with the Luhr Jensen Big Chief, and I am very happy with it. It easily smokes a couple limits of kokanee. It says it will smoke 50 pounds, but I think 25 pounds is more realistic. Good dal for $89.

snoose
08-20-2006, 04:24 AM
I just today bought the big chief also. I am totaly new to smoking and this is what most of the folks I know are using. The instructions seem simple even for an old fart like me.
Snoose

Chetco_Indian
08-20-2006, 06:12 AM
The best smoker will never help if the fish/game is not taken care of before it goes in.

Dennis
08-20-2006, 06:51 AM
The best smoker will never help if the fish/game is not taken care of before it goes in.
That's the best advise any one can give for a quality product! Gut the fish just after you put your line back in the water. At the very least bleed the fish. Then put it inside a plastic bag and bury it in ice.

Mickey_Thomas
08-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Gut the fish just after you put your line back in the water. At the very least bleed the fish. Then put it inside a plastic bag and bury it in ice. When Dennis speaks about smoking you should listen ;) best smoked candy Salmon I've ever tasted. 8-) 8-)

snoose
08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Dennis,
Thank you, I am glad to hear someone talk about cleaning the Fish. I clean all of my fish immediatly. That is the way i was taught and I see nothing wrong with cleaning fish right away. Some say you shouldn't clean the fish in the lake. I don't know where they get that Idea.
Snoose

iron-man
08-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Snooze, it seems that I am either picking on you or just following you on the boards this morning. I must be old cause I can't remember what I was going to ask you?I'll go look at your last post and I'll be back, if I remember what I was doing before I stopped to go look up something that I forgot----------.I'm old , I'll get there eventually. Don't go away

iron-man
08-20-2006, 08:41 AM
O K Snooze I remember now. Someone told me that it was illegal to clean fish out in a lake.Never heard that before. Used to do it all the time. Now that I'm retired I don't have a lot of extra money to be paying fines. So if you know the whole truth tell us all. thanks .iron-man

snoose
08-20-2006, 08:47 AM
I have never heard it was illegal, I will see what I can find on it. To me it's called treating game properly.
Snoose

snoose
08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I am curing my new smoker. How long should I let it heat on a dry run and is 1 pan of chips enough to get the new off of it?
So far there is no law I can find on cleaning fish. I would refer anyone to page 8 # 1.87 waste of fish 2006 game regs.
Snoose

SuperDave
08-20-2006, 01:26 PM
The rule about fish cleaning in the lake is lake specific. There are lakes I have fished where it is posted. I remember one lake that it was posted at had no fish cleaning services at or around the ramp. ???? I'm thinking the rule is one thing but at least provide a place to clean them somewhere.

somebody
08-20-2006, 05:00 PM
when i am keeping i clean in lake . nothing goes to waste. crawdads like them

snoose
08-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I have never seen anything posted at N/M. a Clerk at Gloryhole told me the boss said it was illegal but he couldn't cite a written riule or law. Until I see it written it is legal.
Snoose

drstressor
08-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Yep. Except where it is posted otherwise (to prevent litter and bad smells), it's fine to gut fish out in the lake and dispose of the offal over the side. Any lake that gets planted sees lots of fish on the bottom "naturally". ;)

freon
08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Fishing Fanatic, if you use an electric smoker, it usually takes 12 hours or so, especially in the winter. I have switched to propane and I like it much better, you can control the heat much better and smoke it quicker( 1|3 the time). I have an electric one for sale if you want to try one cheap, but propane rocks, thanks Doc for that advice quite some time back.
Freon

SuperDave
08-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Fishing Fanatic, if you use an electric smoker, it usually takes 12 hours or so, especially in the winter.
Freon

12 hours to smoke what, a 25 lbs turkey? Stuff does take longer in the winter but a smoker jacket mitigates a lot of that. Fish (trout) take about 1 1/2 hours on my electric smoker. 4 pheasants on the top rack, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I can see though where gas would make one very mobile with there smoker.

For those getting the Big Chief, are they a wet smoker as well?

jrj
08-22-2006, 06:11 AM
I purchased the Big Chief from Fishermans Wharehouse. It works great and very easy to store when not in use.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-22-2006, 07:44 AM
I gave my Electric Smoker away after i used it 3times. It was too Small and it takes forever to smoke large Salmon fillets.

This is what i have now, with a Total of 4 Racks. These Smokers are now available at your Local Wal-Mart.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/06/01/97/00/0006019700297_500X500.jpg

modawg
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
I have the same smoker that 916steelhead has. I don't care for mine I can't seem to get the heat down low enough. If I had it to do over I would buy the Bradley electric smoker. This one automatically dispenses the bisquets. Just a thought.

BigB
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Electric or gas smoker? I am thinking about getting a smoker, just do not know which one.

Brian

SuperDave
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I still stand by my original post. What kind of smoker are you going to be? If you are going to smoke a half dozen times a year. a smoker like Carlo's is really overkill, IMO. Nobody answered my question about whether the gas smokers are wet smokers or not. If they are, I would give it high consideration. With the electric like mine, the water pan is a super feature that really keeps meat from getting dried out and adds flavor during smoking.

drstressor
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
The Smoky Mountain gas smoker that Carlo showed is a wet smoker. *It only costs about $140 and is the easiest smoker I have ever used. *It's hardly over kill. *You can't use it for cool smoking, but the only type of smokers that work for cool smoking have indirect fire boxes.

Pellet smokers do a good job, but they cost a bunch to buy and the pellets are not cheap. *

FatCat
08-22-2006, 11:21 PM
My buddy has a smoker just like 916's above. We smoked a bunch of trout and chicken with it this summer and it blows my Big Chief away. Very easy to control temp, has a thermometer built in, it was awesome! My old electric does the trick but is a pain to work with when trying to smoke salmon in December. It is just too dang sensitive to outside conditions. That, and it shocks me if I am not wearing shoes and try to move the racks around. Think it's time I get a new one?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-23-2006, 06:44 AM
I still stand by my original post. What kind of smoker are you going to be? If you are going to smoke a half dozen times a year. a smoker like Carlo's is really overkill, IMO. Nobody answered my question about whether the gas smokers are wet smokers or not. If they are, I would give it high consideration. With the electric like mine, the water pan is a super feature that really keeps meat from getting dried out and adds flavor during smoking.

Overkill- Nah.
Wet Smoker- YES. Mine has a huge Water Bowl.

The Smoky Mountain gas smoker that Carlo showed is a wet smoker. It only costs about $140 and is the easiest smoker I have ever used. It's hardly over kill.

$140 [smiley=yikes.gif]. OMG. I Paid less than $100.00 for the one i have with an extra wood box and extra Rack.

drstressor
08-23-2006, 06:52 AM
$140 . OMG. *I Paid less than $100.00 for the one i have with an extra wood box and extra Rack.

That's just the list price. *I probably paid less than you did for a damaged one from Walmart. *Only thing wrong with it was a very slight dent and the glass on the temperature gauge was cracked.

Sportsman's Warehouse sells a similar looking model made of heavier gauge steel for $199.

What I like best about the Smoky Mountain is that you fill the wood box once, the water bowl once, set the temperature to the lowest setting, come back in 3 hr and the job is done. *I don't have to tend the smoker like I did with other units. *Plus it uses very little gas.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-23-2006, 06:59 AM
That's just the list price. I probably paid less than you did for a damaged one from Walmart. Only thing wrong with it was a very slight dent and the glass on the temperature gauge was cracked.

Sportsman's Warehouse sells a similar looking model made of heavier gauge steel for $199.

What I like best about the Smoky Mountain is that you fill the wood box once, the water bowl once, set the temperature to the lowest setting, come back in 3 hr and the job is done. I don't have to tend the smoker like I did with other units. Plus it uses very little gas.

OK You Win Doc :-[ Depending on what i'm smoking at the time. i fill the wood box twice. i.e. Ribs, Whole Chicken. I found a cover for my Smoker at Lowe's last weekend for only $1.57.

SuperDave
08-23-2006, 07:04 AM
The Smoky Mountain gas smoker that Carlo showed is a wet smoker. *It only costs about $140*

Well, then as Mickey would say, that's a no brainer.

Fishing_Fanatic
08-25-2006, 08:17 AM
:) Well, I see my original question (post) generated quite a bit of debate!! :o :o

:-/ So if I got all this straight.......I need to clean my fish right after I catch them, put them in an ice chest and then go home and smoke them in a $200 gas unit so that they are done in only an hour and a half.

I think I will just continue throwing them back in the water. This all sounds like too much work for me.

Thanks though for sharing all the opinions. This site is great... you certainly get lots of input on any issue or question you have!!!

SuperDave
08-25-2006, 09:25 AM
:-/ So if I got all this straight.......I need to clean my fish right after I catch them, put them in an ice chest and then go home and smoke them in a $200 gas unit so that they are done in only an hour and a half.

I think I will just continue throwing them back in the water. *This all sounds like too much work for me. *

So, if I got this straight, when you asked the question, you were looking for a smoker that didn't require the fish to be cleaned and cost very little to buy? ;) Smokers can be bought pretty cheap and you'll find the end result pretty rewarding. Hope you try it. 8-)

The_Big_Sinus
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Pellet smokers do a good job, but they cost a bunch to buy and the pellets are not cheap.

My folks gave me a Bradley Smoke Machine. Love it. Works like a charm. WAY better than a Big Chief. The Big Chief won't get hot enough if it's truly cold out, and the elements have a tendency to burn out quickly. Bradley is also "wet", BTW...

Chetco_Indian
08-28-2006, 05:33 AM
If you make your smoker with a outside fire box now you have a cold smoker.I made my smoke house 6'wide x4'deep x7' high with a wood stove for my fire box.Lucky I don't live in the city or the fire dept would always be here.

SuperDave
08-28-2006, 06:09 AM
For ANYONE that doesn't think their electric gets hot enough when it's cold, an insulating jacket is all one needs to fix it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/51/73/74/i517374sn01.jpg

If there is frost on the ground or it is snowing, I throw a blanket over the top too.

Reel_Lost
08-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Buy a Bradley. Hands down the easiest/best

Ikan_Mas
08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I have a little chief that I picked up a GI Joes in Medford for not too much. Chips are also alot cheaper up there. I have no problem smoking a limit of trout and I ususally don't have that many days (typically just one) on the water. I have also used it for chickens, pork chops, and jerky, and it does well on each of these. You can smoke chillies and make some mean homemade chipotls.

For trout the simple recipe for smoking is half a cup salt, half a cup sugar and a quart of water to disolve in. You can add all sorts of things to upgrade the marinade. Marinate the fish overnight and then smoke from 1.5 to 4 hours the next day. Keeps well in the fridge.

Trader Joes had a real good recipe for smoked trout salad that was darn easy and tasted great. Here it is:

One bag baby spinache
4 sliced beets (don't have any, so I skipped this)
1 smoked trout
1/2 red onion sliced up fine

Dressing:
2 tablespoons Walnut Oil (you could also use Olive I suppose)
1 tablespoon horseradish (Beaver brand for this Oregonian)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper

Make some up for that special ladyfriend of yours and show her what a gourmet you are! ;D

Trout_Terminator
08-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Check this link out, it has a ton of info on smokers.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1131842080/24#24

Trout_Terminator
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Heres kind of a guide line to what chips to use for certian things, it was posted by 916, and i though it was pretty helpful, so here it goes...

Oak- A heavy smoke flavor. Any oak will do. The second most popular smoking wood. Red meat, pork, fish, and some wild game.

Hickory- Strong, smoky taste. The most common smoking wood. Good with any meat.

Mesquite- Sweet light taste. My personal favorite. Great with all meats. Especially good with ribs, lamb, and vegetables.

Pecan- Nice taste. Lighter than hickory. Good with almost anything.

Apple- Sweet, fruity smoke taste. Beef, poultry, game, pork (especially ham).

Acacia- Similar to mesquite, but not as strong. Most meats. Most vegetables. Good with beef.

Almond- A nutty sweet flavor. Good with all meats.

Alder- Very delicate. Slightly sweet. Fish, pork, poultry.

Apricot- Milder and sweeter than Hickory. Good with most meats

Ash - Burns fast. Light but distinct flavor. Red meats and fish.

Birch - Slightly sweet. Good with pork and poultry.

Cherry - Slightly sweet fruity flavor. Good with all meats.

Grape vines- Similar to fruit woods. Good with all meats

Grapefruit - Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.

Lemon- Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.

Lilac - Very light smoke flavor. Good with seafood and lamb.

I also have a question about smoking/ smokers, what the difference between dry smoking, and wet smoking. also, whats the difference between hot smoking, and cold smoking? thanks for the help,

-TT

krazybob
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
I gave my Electric Smoker away after i used it 3times. *It was too Small and it takes forever to smoke large Salmon fillets.

This is what i have now, with a Total of 4 Racks. *These Smokers are now available at your Local Wal-Mart.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/06/01/97/00/0006019700297_500X500.jpg

I've had the same one for several years except my ever lovin' wife got me the stainless steel one. I've smoked many fish, chickens, and turkeys. I make lots of jerky but use the house stove oven, but I've been thinking of giving the smoker a try at making jerky. Someone said it was hard to get the temp low enough, but with the snow on the ground, I shouldn't have any trouble get the temp down to about 200 degrees. ::) I wonder if anyone else has tried making jerky in one of these models :-/

StocktonDon
01-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Can you use any electric smokers indoors? *I'd like to put one on my stovetop under the exhaust hood because i am concerned about the racoons, opossums, cats, rats, etc, that wander through my back yard.

Your thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

SuperDave
01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Can you use any electric smokers indoors? *I'd like to put one on my stovetop under the exhaust hood because i am concerned about the racoons, opossums, cats, rats, etc, that wander through my back yard.

Your thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

The fan won't keep up with the smoke. Your house will smell like you started a fire in the fireplace with the damper closed. Put a small piece of plywood on a patio table in the backyard and you should be fine with it up off the ground.

imacamper
01-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I still stand by my original post. *What kind of smoker are you going to be? *If you are going to smoke a half dozen times a year. a smoker like Carlo's is really overkill, IMO. *Nobody answered my question about whether the gas smokers are wet smokers or not. *If they are, I would give it high consideration. *With the electric like mine, the water pan is a super feature that really keeps meat from getting dried out and adds flavor during smoking.
Because a byproduct of burning propane is water vapor, they are "wet" by definition. Something to consider if you wish to use your smoker for making jerky. However I do not know if there's a special pan into which you can put water. But any smoker is "wet" if you put a pan of water in it. ;)

Cheers,

Drew

imacamper
01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I started with a Brinkman electric smoker and burnt it up in about 3 years. It used lots of power as it wasn't insulated and was hard to control temperature (no, I didn't have a blanket -- should have). When it came time to replace it, I thought seriously about buying another $100 - $150 model to last another 3-5 years or spending more on one that should last much longer and work better. After lots of research on both propane and electric, I settled on this electric model:

http://www.cookshack.com/index_product_record.php?product_id=104

It is easy to use. Just set the thermostat and forget it. It is well insulated and will hold a lot of food. This past Thanksgiving, I was able to cook 18 lbs turkeys two at a time. For smaller items, there are 5 shelves. You can also cold smoke when you purchase the cold smoke baffle accessory and I have made some great smoked cheese. There is no water pan but you can just put a pan of water on any shelf. However the unit seals tightly enough that the moisture in the food stays in the smoker and I have never needed to add additional water. It is my understanding from my research that the main reason the Brinkman smokers have a big water pan is to stablize the heat more than to keep food moist.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my smoker and found it a bit cheaper at a web site called The Charcoal Store:

http://www.charcoalstore.com/

Cheers,

Drew

Fishworship
03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
:) Well, I see my original question (post) generated quite a bit of debate!! :o :o

I think I will just continue throwing them back in the water. This all sounds like too much work for me.

Thanks though for sharing all the opinions. This site is great... you certainly get lots of input on any issue or question you have!!!

I built this out of a wooden box at my brother's house in Alaska a couple of summers ago. Can't beat the price and it works great! I fan dry briefly before smoking (weather should be cool for that) to eliminate the gooey drippy stuff, plus it gives a nice glossy candy-like coating to the fish and helps keep some moisture in.
oooops!
http://i29.tinypic.com/2w67wah.jpg

cptdarel
03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
The fish smoking is part of the ambiance, itís all part of the quests and itís the reward. :)

fish_killer
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM

I built this out of a wooden box at my brother's house in Alaska a couple of summers ago. Can't beat the price and it works great! I fan dry briefly before smoking (weather should be cool for that) to eliminate the gooey drippy stuff, plus it gives a nice glossy candy-like coating to the fish and helps keep some moisture in.
oooops!
http://i29.tinypic.com/2w67wah.jpg
I agree with you mom.

I say make your own or buy a cheepy and experiment with the different heat sources and then invest in your set up.

Smoking is an art and when you figure out how to smoke you will know good smoke 8-)

BDR
03-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I will often clean fish in the boat and put the entrails into a garbage bag and into the ice chest. When I get home I freeze them until garbage day.

As far as smokers, I use a big chief and two little chiefs at home and love them. I also have a home made smoker that we made out of a new oil drum that we use in the mountains that works great. The grill to my webber fits perfectly in the drum and works great for smoking and/or slow cooking ribs and chicken.

Fishworship
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
The fish smoking is part of the ambiance, itís all part of the quests and itís the reward. :)

So true cptdarel, you couldn't have said it better. When I smell fish smoking, it transports me back to every great summer of fishing I have ever had. It is also an art, as fishkiller_37 states. It is a personal art that one should perfect for one's self as per however one likes one's fish. There are just too many perfectly acceptable ways to smoke all different kinds of meat, even fish. Experimentation is the key, and forums like this are a great place to pick up tips and info. I "ruined" many a batch of beef jerky learning what I liked, and what most of my family liked. The fish has been a little easier, with fewer disasters because I had some old- timer's guidance.

I used a little chief that my grandfather handed down to me for many years and had great results. It wasn't until I was using 3 at a time and each one cooked a little faster or slower than the other that I decided to make one big smoker. The electric element is a simple hotplate and I have an external read thermometer outside and a cheap oven thermometer inside for back up. I find that fattier fish (like salmon and trout) smokes better, because the fat cause the fish to absorb more smoke

I cut my large fish (like salmon filets) into 2 to 3 inch wide strips, and cut the belly meat away so it is uniform in thickness. I smoke the belly meat too, it's good (my stepson calls it "those nice chewy peices"). At the thickness of a salmon filet, 2 inches wide, I smoke around 4-6 hours, sometimes more, rotating racks from bottom to top for even doneness. Time depends on the weather. With the fish skin side down, I start out with low heat so the fish can absorb more smoke, (150 for about 2-3 hours) then take it up to about 180-190 to finish it off. Fish should get to around 165 internally to be safe. I like to smoke slowly because I like lots of smoke flavor. Smoking too hot and fast leaves the fish, in my opinion, just funky, like it was cooked in an oven.

The brine recipe: I use lots of different versions of a basic 3/4 cup pickling salt, 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 cup soy sauce, 1gallon water.
(I have substituted splenda for the brown sugar and it is pretty good)

I brine 6 to 8 hours only, rinse well, pat dry, and fan-dry till tacky.

For squaw candy I cut the fish into thinner strips (about 1 1/2 inches) and reduce the water in the brine to 1/2 gallon.

Recipe for salmon spread (excellent):

4 to 6 oz smoked salmon (shredded in blender or left chunky)
2 blocks cream cheese
juice of one lemon
two nice pinches of fresh, minced baby dill

blend with hand mixer , spread on baguette slices as apetizer, or crackers. [smiley=stirthepot.gif] super!

h00kie
03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Very useful information in this thread that got me to start on this new way of preparing fish. Just finished smoking the second batch of trout last night and had one this morning to taste the results... I couldn't be any happier.
I'll be sure to try out the recipes that you guys listed. Thank you all!

One question, what's the best way of getting rid of or avoiding the brown stains on my hands from handling the grill? ;D ;D

imacamper
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
...One question, what's the best way of getting rid of or avoiding the brown stains on my hands from handling the grill? ;D ;D
Soap? *Gloves? ;)

BeachBum
06-21-2008, 01:19 PM
A friend of mine just got an electric one that resembles a small frigd. It a Bradley. He claims it's great. Any thoughts?

SuperDave
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
BB, electrics work great in a controlled environment or for summer smoking. They have no temperature control unless you buy one that is a little more pricey. I pulled the electric element out of mine and replaced it with a propane burner. If the price is right on an electric Bradley, you certainly can't go wrong with getting one and using it as your starter smoker. I used to get pretty frustrated when I tried to smoke on a cold, windy winter day with my electric. It is doable though if you wrap your smoker with an insulating blanket.

shon42073
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
WOW, You guys make things waaaaaayyyyyyyy to complicated. I turn out great smoked fish and meats on my 39.95 weber bbq grill. Just experiment its rather easy. My fish brine is just soy sauce(gotta be the one with the yellow and red label with the swan on it) kosher salt, browwn sugar, and whole black pepper corns, soak at least 12 hours, rinse well, fan dry for at least 15 mins then smoke em up. I use alder or hickory.

fish4fun
06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Dave, it doesn't sound like your previous electric smoker was an insulated smoker like a Bradley. I've had great results from the Bradley. In fact I got rid of my gas smoker after I got the Bradley. The Bradley is inslulated and has great temperature control compared to the Big Chief or uninsulated gas smokers that I've used in the past. The Bradley has an offset smoke generator so you can lower the temp enough to cold smoke salmon or cheese. Neither the Big Chief or the uninsulated gas smokers can really do this. I can also get the temp in the Bradley up to 240 to 250 degrees which is actually too high for hot smoking meat. Most hot smoke recipes for meat that I've seen require at most 225 degrees. The temp control on the Bradley accurately tunes it from the lowest to the highest temp and anywhere in between. At any rate, the Bradley is the best smoker I've used by far :).. Larry

Bee_Jay
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a friend that did get cited for cleaning his fish in the lake.That was years ago and since I am an old Fart also I have forgotten which lake it was and how much the fine was. But I have been cleaning my fish in the lakes for all of those years 55+ and have never been cited or maybe never been caught. Anyway I will continue doing so untill they put a cleaning station at all the lakes. That might been a long time ????

Bee_Jay
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Sorry about the last post of mine. I guess I hit the wrong key and it went to the forum. OOPS

trouter
10-09-2009, 04:56 AM
A friend of mine just got an electric one that resembles a small frigd. It a Bradley. He claims it's great. Any thoughts?

I have a Bradley and couldn't be happier with it. The only thing I would have done different is to get one with the digital temperature control. The cure/smoke recipe that I use for Salmon requires me to smoke at 3 different temperatures and the digital control would make that part so much easier.

Hlawatyr
10-17-2009, 01:00 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]Love my luhr jensen smokers work great no fuss and easy clean up. [smiley=goodscout1jp.gif]

ixlatall
10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Brinkman electric smoker works great for me. Simple, cheap and does a good job on the fish you listed above. One thing is, I wish it had the adjustable temp.

Fishmeister
11-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I have used a Little Chief for years and make great smoked stuff. Whenever I am out and see some of the great newer units I think I should upgrade but never can get it to the top of the list. Haven't eaten anyone elses smoked fish from all types of smokers that I like any better than what comes off the Little Chief.
You can really load it up if you bend some paper clips into a hook and hang the fish or meat instead of lay them on the rack. Think it smokes better also.

Imbigdave
01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
a cheap alternative to a smoker blanket is to save the box the smoker came in and put it over the smoker on cold days.

Bigdave

bugsydog
04-09-2010, 11:20 AM
cookshack.com

some of the best smokers around

Jetspray
04-09-2010, 09:22 PM
cookshack.com

some of the best smokers around

Yep good place to go to getting supplies.....Jetspray

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

CrappieJed
04-10-2010, 03:30 AM
I bought the electric converter from cabelas for my Brinkman smoker/bbq'r best move i made, no more charcoal no more temp going up and down. As far as a smoker blankit i just use a moving pad or blankit those grey ones movers use to wrap furnature. Perfect smoked fish every time.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy359/CrappieJed/smokedsalmonchristmas09.jpg

shel911
04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I bought a litle chief about 4 years ago. It's a front load type. Have had no problems with it. I went with a cheap one because I was not sure how much I would use it. Once I started,. I use it at least once a month. I don't do alot of fish but do alot of meats and chicken. Even more I do alot of cheese. My buddy next door has a top load little chief so I borrow his rack and cold smoke 4 racks of cheese at least once a month. Shel

Sawdog
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Just tried a Traeger. Way over the top price wise. But man it did some great meat. I mean really good. Used wood pellets that came in many different varieties. Very easy to use. It operates on a hopper/auger set up so it constantly feeds the pellets into the fire you just set the temp and walk away. I recommend it but for the price I guess you better be getting a great product.

Qusate
11-28-2018, 07:06 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

I used to have a $29 electic Brinkmann and it was a happy day when that thing finally took a dirt nap. At that price point, there was no way to control the temperature. In the summer, it could easily sail away around 250 with no problem. On cold and windy days, hitting 175 was a real struggle.

I currently have a Cookshack SM50 in the fleet http://janeskitchenmiracles.com/best-electric-smokers-reviewed/ It's insulated so the smoker is pretty much impervious to the cold and wind.

Even though it has a thermostat, the cooking chamber goes through some pretty wide temperature swings as the element cycles on and off. I've seen swings as wide as 35 degrees either side of the target.

It's just the nature of that beast and I'm used to it now but this behavior would certainly drive the uber anal retentive types who fret about a three degree variance in a WSM over an hour absolutely nuts.

Both of the electrics I've had have turned out decent food that I don't believe could be distinguished from that cooked over coals or other heat source. The food frankly doesn't care what's generating the heat and smoke.

I got ithe Cookshack because the hardware bug bit me and this was part of my quest to own at least one of everything at some point before I'm done. Although there's nothing wrong with it, I don't use the Cookshack very often.

I guess the thought of plugging in my Q is just too foreign of a concept for me to embrace. Playing with fire is part of the appeal of barbecue to me.