PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros 01-23-14 Whopper Mug

Fisherman209
01-23-2014, 04:57 PM
After catching a couple of decent fish here last week (01-15-14), we decided to give it another try. We arrived when the gate opened (7AM) and headed to the marina. The four of us decided on a different approach to our fishing strategy and rented a pontoon boat to troll. While in the marina, I looked at the whopper wall and it was pretty full of recent pictures of beast sized fish that have been caught there.

We loaded up and started trolling towards cowboy cove. We had four lines in the water trolling different lures and didn't get anything for the first half hour. As we almost hit the end of cowboy cove to turn around, my buddies pole slams down. I cut the engine off and we watched as he reeled it in. He was using some flimsy little 5'5" light rod, so everything he reels in seems big. As the fish surfaced, we were shocked to see this beast on the end of the line. We noticed the hook was barely set into its mouth so we quickly netted it. As soon as this beast went into the net, the hook popped out.

We continued trolling different coves and only landed one more half pound trout. We trolled from 715AM to 2PM and only landed two fish....better than being skunked! Two guys ended the day with one fish a piece and two of us were skunked for the day. Either way, I was just glad we netted this beast. Once we got to the marina, the fish was officially weighed at 5.51 pounds. My buddy won a whopper mug and a picture up on the whopper board. The pictures are attached...they are cropped out of respect for my buddy.

WLShafor
01-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Nice job

"Wisdom begins in wonder." —Socrates

XPL051v3
01-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Nice looking fish! A question for you though, was there a reason you shut the motor off after you had the hook up on the big hawg and stopped trolling? I have found when trolling when I hook up I have had multiple hook ups sometimes 2 or 3 at one time as I have gone through a school of fish. The most recent was at Englebright and we had 3 on at once ended up landing two. Maybe I missed something or mis read the post. Thanks for the report!

-Xzi

Katfish
01-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Nice looking fish! A question for you though, was there a reason you shut the motor off after you had the hook up on the big hawg and stopped trolling? I have found when trolling when I hook up I have had multiple hook ups sometimes 2 or 3 at one time as I have gone through a school of fish. The most recent was at Englebright and we had 3 on at once ended up landing two. Maybe I missed something or mis read the post. Thanks for the report!

-Xzi
Hey bro while I agree about running through a school alot of people will cut the motor to fight the fish in. If your trolling at 2 mph fighting a fish can be a good way to lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

redneckpunk
01-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey bro while I agree about running through a school alot of people will cut the motor to fight the fish in. If your trolling at 2 mph fighting a fish can be a good way to lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, esp with the described rod. Im also assuming since they were coming to the end if the cove they would be shutting down to get lines un to turn around the pontoon

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherman209
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

-Xzi

XPL051,

The other users hit the nail on the head as far as your question. It was a combination of different things. The type of pole he had played a part in the decision. We all had lines in the water within close proximity of each other (pontoon boat without rod holders) and we didn't want lines to tangle. We were also nearing the end of the cove with obstacles in the water. Hope that answered your question.

jvle95
01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Congrats on the big fish! Maybe its just me but these damn planter lake fish sure are ugly sometimes. I mean the tails all jacked up and the head on that thing looks like it ran into a Mack truck. Don't get me wrong I love to catch it myself but they are not very photo friendly. Just sayin.

Fisherman209
01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Congrats on the big fish! Maybe its just me but these damn planter lake fish sure are ugly sometimes. I mean the tails all jacked up and the head on that thing looks like it ran into a Mack truck. Don't get me wrong I love to catch it myself but they are not very photo friendly. Just sayin.

Haha! Agreed! The picture doesn't do this fish justice as far as the damage....he was pretty beat up!

GoneCountry
01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Congrats on the nice fish, I havent caught much out of that lake........... Nice mug, all Chabot gave was a whopper button you can wear proudly. Hmmmm a coffee mug would be awesome. Great job

William DFC
01-26-2014, 05:30 PM
nice fish...went out and to Los Vaqueros yesterday and lost 2 fish with empty hand back home but saw couple people had 3 trouts over 5 lbs and some big bass as well...btw, is that any different price for parking and fishing in LV...I found out I only pay $8.50 for park and fish but others pay $10.50...I wonder why???

ncreys
01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
nice fish...went out and to Los Vaqueros yesterday and lost 2 fish with empty hand back home but saw couple people had 3 trouts over 5 lbs and some big bass as well...btw, is that any different price for parking and fishing in LV...I found out I only pay $8.50 for park and fish but others pay $10.50...I wonder why???

The difference in price is because you must live in the contra Costa water district for the lesser price......Concord , Brentwood , Oakley, walnut creek, and some other cities I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you go to the los vasqueros website, you can find out more information.

Oh, by the way, I fished out at los vasqueros Sunday morning from 7:00 to about 1:00 at the end of the south cove off the bank and killed it. Lots of trout; only a couple on mice tails but quite a few split-shotting a trout worm. Also saw bankers doing well throwing out kastmasters.:trout:

William DFC
01-27-2014, 09:00 PM
The difference in price is because you must live in the contra Costa water district for the lesser price......Concord , Brentwood , Oakley, walnut creek, and some other cities I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you go to the los vasqueros website, you can find out more information.

Oh, by the way, I fished out at los vasqueros Sunday morning from 7:00 to about 1:00 at the end of the south cove off the bank and killed it. Lots of trout; only a couple on mice tails but quite a few split-shotting a trout worm. Also saw bankers doing well throwing out kastmasters.:trout:

I see, I lived in Antioch.....I saw a lot of people in south cove and I walked all the way to cowboy cove but no action except two hits in the morning....