PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Pie with Chorizo

twoelk48
01-19-2010, 06:54 AM
I am playing with a new cookbook called MEXICAN by Jane Milton and if the rest of the recipies are as good as this one it is the best spent money lately. "This is a popular Mexican Breakfast dish, known as CHILAUILES. The fried tortilla strips stay crisp in the tomatillo,cream and chesse sauce". Oh! did I mention I am a gringo who made this for dinner and my advice is double the recipie so there is some left for breakfest as the three of us ate most of a single batch for dinner ;D Hope you enjoy Kent

Ingredients:
Two tbs of lard or vegetable oil
1 1/4 pound of ground pork
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbs dry sherry
1 tsp caster sugar( I used brown sugar)
1 tsp salt
12 corn tortillas, freshly made or a few days old
oil for frying
3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese or mild Cheddar cheese
1-1/4 cup of cream fraiche (I used sour cream)

For the Tomatillo Sauce
scant 2 cups of drained tomatillos
4 tbs of stock or water
2 fresh serrano chilies, seeded and roughly
chopped
2 garlic cloves
small bunch of cilantro
1/2 cup of souor cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degreesF. Heat the oil or lard in alarge sauce pan. Add the pork and crushed garlic. Stir over medioum heat until the meat has browned, then stir in the oregano, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. Cook for 3-4 min, stirring constantly then add the sherry, sugar, and salt. Stir for 3-4 min, until all the flavors are blended are then remove pan from heat.

2. Cut the tortillas into strips 3/4 inch wide. Pour oil into frying pan to a depth of 3/4 inches and heat to 375 degrees. Fry the strips in batches until crisp and golden brown all over.

3. Spread half the pork mixture in a baking dish.
Top with half the tortillia strips and grated
chesse. Then add dollops of cream fraiche (sour cream, heck I did a whol layer over the strips ;D) Repeat the layers. Bake for 20-25 min.

4. To make the sauce put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend except the sour cream. Save a little of cilantro for sprinkling. Process till smooth. Scrape in a sauce pan an simmer for 4-5 min. Let's
cut to the chase an speed the sauce thing up like I did. I bought 3 7 oz cans of Con Toda Confiana..es HERDEZ Chil verde sauce after reading the ingredients on back of the can as they were the same ones listed above.

Stir the sour cream into the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture on top of the ground pork and tortilla strips immediately and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with ice cold Corona and wedeges of lemons and limes. What a heck of the way to start the morning or any part of the day ;D Enjoy Kent