PDA

View Full Version : Red Hot Trout Fishing at Folsom Lake(Folsom Pond)

wearegods1
01-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Fox 40 called me Monday to do a report on the water levels at Folsom Lake. I said sure, lets see what happens. Since the sheriff boat got in and out okay, I figured that my boat is about the same size and with a duelly and 4 wheel drive it should not be a problem. And it went in and out without any problems. We did the story and I returned the next day at 7:30 to give the trout a try. It is red hot fishing. Had 2 limits in an hour and a half with a nice king in the mix. The king was caught in 10 feet of water when I was not paying close attention to the sonar and came out onto the flats. Surprising!! Nice size trout too. Release about half dozen 10 inchers and kept the bigger ones. Most were about 14-16" and a couple were about 18".
I was trolling 3mph toplining J-7 jointed rapalas in steel and brown trout patterns 200-250' behind the boat and speedy shiners in white with red poka dot and a blue silver glitter excel back 75-100' 10' down on the riggers. Using 8 pound P Line.
A couple days later, the same results.
Gonna target kings only next week to see what they are biting on. Deepest spot I could find was 130' deep.18743

LURKER916
01-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Nice!

Matt

GoneCountry
01-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Thats great and quickly too. Water LOW

Kaban12
01-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Nice work! Thanks for the report.

red boat
01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
good job james where did you launch granite bay...get the red boat out there if i can

GuyBrown
01-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the report and details.

Which offerings (the top-lines or downrigger) most productive?

Why the set-back distances of 200-250' for top-lines and 75-100' on the downriggers?

Regards.

wearegods1
01-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the report and details.

Which offerings (the top-lines or downrigger) most productive?

Why the set-back distances of 200-250' for top-lines and 75-100' on the downriggers?

Regards.

Went fishing with Jerry Lampkin a couple years ago here and our setbacks were 175' toplining night crawlers behind dodgers. It seemed like the further I went back, the better I did. both downrigger and toplining was about equal.

Plan on hitting the lake a couple times next week to get my money's worth of my season pass I bought. 10 more trips and it will have paid for itself. Think I can launch at Granite bay for another month with the current drop rate.

redneckpunk
01-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Nice report James. And welcome back to the boards. Hope you got the login issue resolved and we see more from you.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49erbassman
01-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Nice report James. And welcome back to the boards. Hope you got the login issue resolved and we see more from you.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I was wondering where he has been

Fish on!

WhalerDan
01-30-2014, 02:32 PM
What access point do you use for launching your boat? I remember going in at Beales Point and driving over towards the dam back in the 90's last time it was like this?? Not too muddy? Thanks

wearegods1
01-31-2014, 05:26 AM
What access point do you use for launching your boat? I remember going in at Beales Point and driving over towards the dam back in the 90's last time it was like this?? Not too muddy? Thanks

Granite Bay low water ramp. its out of the water but still usable. would not recommend driving accross mud. You'll get stuck and get a ticket. Also, there is a large area near Beales Point that is roped off. Am out today and tomorrow will report back. Heard it slowed down yesterday.

wearegods1
01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Slowed down a bit today. Took 4 friends out for a couple hrs before they had to go to work and scored 8 trout with another 5 or 6 lost. Not bad for just 2 hrs fishing. No fish today caught in the main body. Everything was from the ramp to the main body in the channel.

pned100
01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
James r u needing 4x4 to get your boat launched? I know u mentioned it in your first post but don't know if that meant u had to use it. Similar boat size to u - just curious

wearegods1
01-31-2014, 02:33 PM
James r u needing 4x4 to get your boat launched? I know u mentioned it in your first post but don't know if that meant u had to use it. Similar boat size to u - just curious

Have seen 2wheel drive launch smaller boats. Don't know. There is pretty good sand down there but cannot say for sure. Go with someone who has 4 wheel drive just in case you need a pull out. I'm out tomorrow and Monday.

pned100
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Ill b out tomorrow afternoon hope to see u out there . Ill b in a White north river cc

KAYAK4FISH
02-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Nice! Hope to make it out tomorrow pre game and see if I can get it done in the yak.

pned100
02-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Late report sorry. Fished yesterday 130-515 for 6 trout around 16"and several other pull downs w my nephew, wife and pup (which u will see below loves to assist w netting) All caught on brwn trout joint f7 toplined 175ft back. Had a bunch of other offerings out there toplined that I've pulled in plenty of trout on... Dodger/worm, dodger needlefish etc etc etc and nothin! Caught all fish within a quarter mile stretch,made the rookie mistake of leaving fish to find fish which cost me 1.5hr of not catching. Lots of fish from 15-50 ft and tried getting down to them w out downriggers but no success. Looking back drifting over them w a juicey worm or other offering might have worked for those deeper fish, oh well. Ramp was a close call getting out w my set up but made it. All in all great afternoon http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/2umu9ygu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/zy6uvyqu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/e8y4eruz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/qa5yjy8a.jpg

wearegods1
02-03-2014, 06:27 PM
The bite has slowed down for me but still getting fish. Nice trout averaging 17" are filling the limit stick. Saturday took 2 clients and boxed 11 fish by 1pm, then Monday only managed 5 for 3 hrs fishing. We lost about 45 mins getting to floating restroom due to the 5mph speed limit on the lake. Kind of hard to sneek around the lake faster with a big Fishinjames.com and phone number plastered on the side. Especially when rangers are everywhere.

BigBass77
02-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Anyone mind posting a picture of what the ramp (or lack there of) looks like. I am thinking of making a trip out there but would be nice to know what I am in for before I head out. Thanks

ThatOneGuy?
02-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Nice! Hope to make it out tomorrow pre game and see if I can get it done in the yak.

It's one hell of a hike bro. I just tried this evening 2/3/2014 and it ended in disaster. I had to carry the yak with gear and that was a workout I hadn't done in years. I nearly died getting down to the water. I dropped the yak a couple of times because that sprinkle rain dredged so much mud that even my boots were getting stuck. (I tried launching from Granite...) In the end, I had at least 5 pounds of mud stuck on each foot... That didn't help the hike down either. :seestars:

Then came the worst part. I got to the water ready to paddle out when I realize, I dropped a pole on the way down. I ended spending half an hour looking for my lost pole only then to find out that the sun was going down quick. After a quick debate with myself I decided; it ain't worth it and decided to fish the shore for a while to end with ZERO thumps and no fish... Sad day but I have no regrets.:kap1yd: I had no idea what I was getting into. So in a way I just chuckled at myself for being a fool at thinking I might get to shoot fish in a barrel with the low water conditions. Hope this helps!