PDA

View Full Version : No Water for My Favorite Fish and what does it mean

GoneCountry
01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Here we are right smack in the worst drought ever. Unless of course the heavens open up and let loose a ton of Snow and Water. No I don't think so, but I hope so. I am wondering and maybe some of you know what will take place is the coming weeks if no relief comes. 1st and foremost JOBS , and theres a long list thats connected to that as well, so I am staying on the Trout end of it. The long time eco systems that have been made thru the years will dry up, those that don't will put a strain on the fish, big fish will eat little fish and then as water gets even lower fish in a barrel. I am very afraid of what will happen to our beloved fisheries throughout the state. Planting schedules will be changed . I am sure some lakes will get more fish than others. Folsom is a great example . Its quite possible it could go down to near drained levels. The entire fish population it sustained is gone. Thats not the only lake this will happen to. Once we get back to decent water levels ,how will they step up to the challenge of such a massive fish plant across the state. People will be discouraged from the water levels and not buy a fishing Lic. Im sure thats starting already. That means less money for the jump start...... Im sure just what I have rambled on here that you get the picture. Im sure ( I HOPE) theres a little rainbow this year to salvage this mess. Hope everyone has a Great Year.

mryosemite
01-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Here's an article that gives the best explanation of what's causing the drought and the long term prognosis doesn't look good. I thought this was especially interesting, I didn't know such a thing could happen. California drought: What's causing it? - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24904396/california-drought-whats-causing-it)

salmonid
01-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Good read, thanks for the link!

Best,

Here's an article that gives the best explanation of what's causing the drought and the long term prognosis doesn't look good. I thought this was especially interesting, I didn't know such a thing could happen. California drought: What's causing it? - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24904396/california-drought-whats-causing-it)

mryosemite
01-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Looks like we MIGHT get our first storm to break through that high pressure ridge. That would rock. First significant rain in months coming to Bay - SFGate (http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/First-significant-rain-in-months-coming-to-Bay-5177145.php)

dsa2780
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm a pretty big realist when it comes to water and droughts. Some of you may call me pessimistic, but with 2013 and 2014 looking to be the driest years in recorded Ca history, you may see why my opinions are what they are. One of the reasons could be pacific decadal oscillation, which changes the cooling and warming of the west pacific and east pacific, which ever decade to three decades ends up swinging cold and wet storm systems north of the CA coast, then east into places like Manitoba Canada, then down into the eastern half of the US. This explains the pattern we saw earlier this winter with the record snowfalls and rains the eastern US was having. With luck, give it another couple of crappy hellishly dry years of poor fishing and decimated ecosystems and we'll return to "normality".

My more pessimistic view is one that has recently been discussed. And that's megadroughts. Megadroughts were a big problem in the middle ages but they were never really recorded officially because the people they affected were all native american nomadic tribes who moved when the conditions called for it. If rain didn't come, they left and moved east or north. Scientists now, can use tree core aging and sediment core water samples to see what rain levels were like years upon years ago. National geographic has an article about this called "Drying of the West" that basically says that droughts and dry periods are the norm for the states of CA all the way down to mexico. We've just had an unusually wet 20th century that allowed for the growth of the west when people left the eastern part of the nation. In the next couple years, if this is true, and I'm not saying it is due to unexpected wet years or other flukes in this idea, we may start seeing the trend back to the eastern half of the nation.

As a 17 year old, nothing sucks more than having grown up in a time where I can remember extremely wet winters, the most vivid being 2011 and then having to be faced with this. And not just because fishing in CA may suck, but because food is going to skyrocket, water is going to skyrocket, the cost of living and keeping my damned lights on when I'm living on my own will skyrocket. Michigan is looking promising because I can still fish for the majority of species I like targeting like salmon, trout species, and smallmouth bass, and New England is looking promising as well due to the massive striper surf fishing scene. They might be expensive as hell to live in, but at least we know the east coast isn't going to be short on snow pack, spring runoff and potentially threatened by megadroughts anytime in the near future.

When it comes down to it, water is the core of all existence. For everything. If an organism wants to survive, no, needs to survive and not lead a poor and short lived existence, it needs water. And that my friends, is something I don't think we'll be seeing for quite some time. We can keep praying to the rain gods, but I think they've forsaken us long ago. I'm also betting, but hoping I'm wrong, that the storms predicted to be on the 30th and 31st are either just going to drizzle on us again, or completely get blown in the opposite direction, like oh so many have this fall and winter. Prove me wrong nature. Prove me wrong. I wish to invoke all of the wrath of whatever rain gods there may be.

On a lighter note, maybe in a couple of years we'll all be able to LOL super hard as the max exodus of southern Californians takes place.