PDA

View Full Version : Talapia

M_C
01-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Has anyone fished for Talapia in the Colorado River?

Axminster2
01-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Good question. What about the salton sea? Do these fisheries actually exist anymore? Did they ever? Something weird fishing fishing regs.

ApexPredator
01-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I was unaware that tilapia lived in the Colorado River. Do you know which species?

M_C
01-27-2014, 03:17 AM
I have no idea about the species, I was checking out the Yuma area boat ramps and Talapia was listed as one of the fish in the river.

ApexPredator
01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Well in general tilapia are filter feeders with a main diet of detritus and vegetation; however, they will eat invertebrates so if you know where some are I would treat them like panfish.

CRABBY
01-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Tilapia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia)...........

sollimes
02-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Good question. What about the salton sea? Do these fisheries actually exist anymore? Did they ever? Something weird fishing fishing regs.

Visited Salton last Thanksgiving just to check out the sea, never been there before. The sea is stinks and tons of dead Talapia on the bank. The sea looks lifeless except for the birds. Took a few pics.

http://i60.tinypic.com/24et9p0.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/5z4qk0.jpg

Axminster2
02-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanx for the salton sea report. It's always seemed like a bizarre place to me even though I have never visited it. That photograph of the sea you captured is beautiful yet eery at the same time when paired with your descriptions of the place. Nice work.

Jfitalia
02-12-2014, 02:34 PM

my dad has a house right off the colorado river. As far as I know there are no tilapia in the colorado. Only LG, SM, gills, trout, cats, stripers and carp

M_C
02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Well I'm back from my trip and here is what I learned. The Blue Talapia were introduced to the river sytem to control plant growth in the early 1900's. Apparently they are doing well as they are legal fishbait. However I didn't catch any, just bass. As was mentioned fishing for them is like panfish.
The Talapia are the only surviving fish in the Salton Sea, I was told by a park employee that there are 400 million in the sea. I found the Sea to be an interesting place, the smell is a periodic event caused by an algae bloom and strong winds that stir the lake up.

Jfitalia
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Well I'm back from my trip and here is what I learned. The Blue Talapia were introduced to the river sytem to control plant growth in the early 1900's. Apparently they are doing well as they are legal fishbait. However I didn't catch any, just bass. As was mentioned fishing for them is like panfish.
The Talapia are the only surviving fish in the Salton Sea, I was told by a park employee that there are 400 million in the sea. I found the Sea to be an interesting place, the smell is a periodic event caused by an algae bloom and strong winds that stir the lake up.

Were you fishing the colorado river or the Salton sea? I still have not heard or seen a talapia caught in the actual colorado river.

M_C
02-21-2014, 06:34 PM
I fished the river, Senators Wash and Reservoir and The American Canal. Tried the Salton Sea for a couple of hours. As I didn't catch or see any Talapia, I am just going by what Az Fish and Wildlife say and the word of a couple of locals.

jeffe
02-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Still supposed to be fast fishing for Tilapia in the Salton Sea. I think I heard that some ares get a little funky/smelly but the fishing is good. At one time the SS had the best fishing in California. It got too salty for the Corvina about ten years ago I think.

sollimes
02-05-2015, 06:47 AM
This is what the fishery looks like a couple of years ago.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/4dd3c597efde996779e7f13dba2afe99.jpg

houla
02-05-2015, 06:58 AM
This is a really interesting documentary about the Salton Sea, past, present, and future(?).. The fishing was amazing. Talk about a boom to bust story. Totally worth a watch IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjGAWxL23c

Brickinthewall98
02-05-2015, 08:12 AM
The salton sea story always intrigues me. It's seems like a cool ghost town to visit

QueenAnnesRevenge
02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
I literally laughed out loud when they start complaining about water rights.

robn510
02-07-2015, 11:29 PM
I grew up in san diego, my dad and his navy buddies would load us all up and drive to the salton sea a couple of times every year. We would go to a shore area near the now rec area and just take it over, kids dogs adults. many great times had. jumping on all the rocks and running on the beach. Fishing we would use worms & mussels for bait, some would use their own concoctions. we would literally catch hundreds of fish. btw My mother and the other women hated these vacations. drunken navy guys and kids catching ungodly amounts of stinky fish and.. they would have to process them all on pieces of plywood, with sparklets bottles of water. The line up of stationwagons, stoves and coolers was always impressive. butt loads of croaker were easy to catch. ive only seen 3 big corvina caught (med wsb sized) with my dads crowd and they were a coveted catch which we ate just the same. Ive seen only one more in my adult life along with a dead carcass of one on the eastern shore. Funny how something simple like "tilapia" brings back all these old memories...and the smell..

back on topic..sorta.
for vacations we also went on these rafting trips on the colorado, we would drive through el centro and yuma. Between el centro and the yuma were little fishing spots my dad knew of and we would stop sometimes and fish. tilapia, bluegill, bass & catfish, sometimes crappie. but green tilapia were mostly in the cuts similar to the cottontails in the delta. these were fresher smelling and cleaner tasting, my mom didnt mind dealing with these as much. She would steam these "freshwater" tilapia with vinegar, ginger, garlic & shoyu. i remember they were very good eating. we did catch quite a lot of tilapia on the colorado river (on the california shore) but our targets then were catfish, lmb and maybe if you were lucky...a striper. so yes there are tilapia there but theres also stripers, cats, lmb, smb & panfish to catch as well.

I have friends down south that catch tilapia on ul tackle and flys, i dont know where you are but if youre south then there are tilapia all through orange county, rs county, basically the southland area. And fishing in the salton is still totally doable at the rec area. the jetty area was all fixed up last time i went there. bring some toys and make it a week, you can ride dirtbikes, atv's, buggies, shoot guns.. ect at glamis or imperial which is on the way if your so inclined and coming from the south.

have fun, thanks for the thread op. tilapia are fun fish to catch on light tackle. people just over do it and use too heavy of tackle and sabiki like gangions to catch them and it kills the fun in catching them. now there are laws to save a lot of that. Im suprised there arent invasive populations of them in the delta system by now. ive caught them all over america, amazingly theyre all over the southland in some rivers and in lakes and ponds. even in private ponds.

other fish prey on tilapia too. which is kind of cool.

25572 << tilapia swimbaits.

have fun.
fish on!

jeffe
02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Tks Robin!:cheers: