Brine a 16 lb bird for 24 hours in:

1.5 cups salt
1 can of frozen OJ concentrate
10 bay leaves
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
0.5 gallon water
Handfull black peppercorns
7 lb bag ice

Then use one chimney worth of birquetes and get them nice and hot. Split the pile equally to two sides of a webber kettle and add about 6 more lumps to each side. Place an aluminum pan to catch drippings between the piles of charcoal. This isn't for making gravy, it is to minimize cleanup of turkey fat later. You won't get a useful drippings out of this recipe.

Put the bird breast side down for the first 30 minutes of cooking and turn over and rotate 90 degrees. Turn over and rotate every 20 minutes after that. Put foil over any parts that are getting too dark. The tail and wings tend to get left over the coal piles and need attention. Reposition the bird immediatley if you smell burning fat. Refrain from lifting the lid unless you absolutely have to put out a fat fire or flip it.

My thermometer gives up after 450 degrees, so who knows how hot it actually was in there. I do know that it was cooked to 162 degrees after 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Pull the bird after the center of the breast near the tender reaches 160-164 degrees, and the juices from the thigh run clear. Tent the bird with foil and rest it for 30-40 minutes and it will carry over to north of 180 (safe to eat).

This is not a fully smoke flavored turkey, it has more of a roasted flavor with a slight hint of smokiness. The leftovers made a great coconut curry because it had that mild smoke flavor similar to a tandoor.

steveo79
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Sounds good, and cooked fast. they figure 15 minutes a pound at 350. My turkey took about 5 hours in the barrel, and was 14 lbs.