PDA

View Full Version : Trolling stickbait vs crankbait

Tonysgonefishin
01-27-2014, 05:38 PM
I know a lot of people pull floating and countdown rapalas for trout but I'm wondering how many people pull crankbaits as well? While I love catching aggressive fish trolling fast with stickbaits there are definitely times that I need to slow down to get fish. Through experimentation I've found that scatter raps, jointed rapalas and crankbaits all get sufficient action to catch fish at speeds under two mph. I've never had great luck with standard rapalas at this speed. Another benefit to a shad rap style bait is that they run a little deeper so you can work multiple depth ranges. I've pulled shad raps as slow as 1.2 mph and caught fish on them.

Our last couple of trips out the plain silver shad raps have really saved the day for us so I thought I would share my findings with hopes that it may make someone else's day as well. I apologize in advance if this is standard knowledge but it sure was news to me!

fat fish
01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
How deep do u think those shad raps swim at say 1.2-1.5?

Sonoramike
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
About 10 feet. I troll them that fast from my kayak. If I hit water ten feet or less they will hit bottom

Tonysgonefishin
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd say 6-10 feet depending on the setback. I usually run them about 150' back and have drug bottom on 8' deep points that we passed over at 1.2-1.3 mph. The lip design on crankbaits helps them dive deep regardless of the retrieval/trolling speed. I've also had good luck ripping them, going that slow with the shad raps.

XPL051v3
01-27-2014, 10:00 PM
About 10 feet. I troll them that fast from my kayak. If I hit water ten feet or less they will hit bottom

I found that out the hard way today at Collins Lake as I got snagged and lost my 8$ Rapala! It would help if I had a fish finder though, shouldn't be a problem in a month once I get my HDS 7. Just in time for them Pyramid Trout :banana:

-Xzi

redneckpunk
01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I found that out the hard way today at Collins Lake as I got snagged and lost my 8$ Rapala! It would help if I had a fish finder though, shouldn't be a problem in a month once I get my HDS 7. Just in time for them Pyramid Trout :banana:

-Xzi

In a month you should be able to go back and get it the way the waters dropping in all the lakes

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRF
01-28-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm a big fan of this method I've been trolling them for years targeting bass and trout. Bass more than any other though. I know a few others that rely on this method to catch all there fish because casting is hard for them.
Don't be afraid to play with them all. Having a line counter reels makes set back a lot easier.

One other method is to find out what depth the CB dives to and use them on a down rigger to target deeper water structure, deeper flats or suspended fish.

okie
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
in 95 i fished pyramid for the first time with a well known fisherman, BITR ME 11, my
son-in-law. all he used then was rapalas, diwn 10' to 15' about 100' back. he may have
used other lures but i never saw them. he did the same at Eagle Lake the 2 times i
fished up there with him. since i've been living here, i've used rapalas several times
but mostly spoons, flatfish, lymans, etc. maybe thats why i dont catch anything, i
might go back and try rapalas, it cant hurt.
be safe