PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat fresh-caught bay halibut sashimi-style?

hansolo2009
08-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Out east, we would catch fluke or blackfish & eat it sashimi-style - raw with some sauces.

A baitshop owner of Japanese origin here in the bay area says he freezes his halibut overnight before eating it raw. He says it draws the worms out. he said the worms are tiny (barely visible, maybe thin red lines).

First, do you eat bay fish raw and unfrozen? If so, which fish?
Second, do these fish have worms? If so, are they dangerous to eat?
Third, will freezing overnight kill these worms? Since the fish probably still has worms in the meat (albeit dead or frozen), is the fish still safe to eat raw?!?

Thanks.

shadbuster
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't eat it raw, all sashimi you buy at restaurants is flash frozen, the baitshop owner is right they do carry harmful parasites. I don't know about freezing them in your home freezer, the ones that are used for restaurants are industrial units, I personally would not eat them but some guys I know do it when they go tuna fishing and they seem fine.

bretmoua
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Never tried eating anything from salt water raw yet. I have eaten many freshly caught stripers raw though.

tunaman
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Never tried eating anything from salt water raw yet.* I have eaten many freshly caught stripers raw though.*

If you can eat stripers raw, halibut will be no problem! the halibut taste more like snapper in raw form. It is a common fish used in sushi, (not one of my favorites) Many have eaten raw halibut from the bay and none that I know have had any problems. I think after you dunk the meat in soy sauce and go through your stomach acids, the tiny worms are not harmful at all to be of any concern. I've yet to hear of anyone getting sick through fish caught in the bay. You do hear many people talking about the negatives of eating raw and of course it's from those who don't eat it raw. Talk to those who have eaten it raw and you'll know the truth how safe it is. Been eating sushi for over 30 years, I'm still alive and healthy! hardly ever sick either, maybe once every 5 or so years that I could ever remember. Why do you think most Asians live long? sure isn't from smokin their fish! Just eat it and you can tell everyone how you're still alive and not sick!

cptdarel
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
again

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/fishworms

drinkinbuddy
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
again

Fish Worms (http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/fishworms)

Man that was just wrong. I love sushi, sashimi, seared tuna and now I am going to have to drink a lot more Saki to kill those little buggers.....it's a sacrifice that I will just have to live with I guess.....Don

nitty917
09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Out east, we would catch fluke or blackfish & eat it sashimi-style - raw with some sauces.

A baitshop owner of Japanese origin here in the bay area says he freezes his halibut overnight before eating it raw. He says it draws the worms out. he said the worms are tiny (barely visible, maybe thin red lines).

First, do you eat bay fish raw and unfrozen? If so, which fish?
Second, do these fish have worms? If so, are they dangerous to eat?
Third, will freezing overnight kill these worms? Since the fish probably still has worms in the meat (albeit dead or frozen), is the fish still safe to eat raw?!?

Thanks.

ate halibut out the bay raw for years, cut very thin slices, get a big plate fill with ice, put plastic wrap over ice, and thin slices on top, squeeze lime over it, but not too much it will basically cook it, find some sushi/seaweed crush it up and sprinkle it on top of the dish.

FishAddict707
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
i eat them shashimi too.. a ate it a few times this year.. also.. i know sushi places buy halibut and they do the same thing

MontanaN8V
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
The problem with eating fish sashimi style is this. All fish have parasites, and freezing them kills them off. Your home freezer does not kill all the parasites for at least 5 DAYS! Sure, you can get away with eating them fresh, but there is nothing that says that last bite is not going to be the one that gets you. Many of the parasites are tiny, and can live in your system for months/years with no symptoms. Commercial sushi grade fish is frozen for at least 2 hours by law at -20 degrees. So, you can eat anything you like, but be prepared to possibly get worms. Ceviche also does not kill off the parasites either. It is also recommended to freeze (in your home freezer) fish for making ceviche for the full 5 days as well. To prevent freezer burn and loss of texture/flavor, freeze the fish in a ziploc filled with water.

Jetspray
09-25-2010, 05:24 AM
The problem with eating fish sashimi style is this. All fish have parasites, and freezing them kills them off. Your home freezer does not kill all the parasites for at least 5 DAYS! Sure, you can get away with eating them fresh, but there is nothing that says that last bite is not going to be the one that gets you. Many of the parasites are tiny, and can live in your system for months/years with no symptoms. Commercial sushi grade fish is frozen for at least 2 hours by law at -20 degrees. So, you can eat anything you like, but be prepared to possibly get worms. Ceviche also does not kill off the parasites either. It is also recommended to freeze (in your home freezer) fish for making ceviche for the full 5 days as well. To prevent freezer burn and loss of texture/flavor, freeze the fish in a ziploc filled with water.

I totally agree, fish should be treated before consumption. There are also elevated levels of mercury and other heavy metals in the meat so the amount of consumption is important. Halibut from Alaska and the northern shores have less of this in their meat. Good Luck with your attempts.......Jetspray

fishingaddict
10-11-2010, 06:55 AM
I used to think sushi from restaurant were ok to eat and had it once in a while, until I saw this video. Maybe the restaurant was not following rules?

YouTube - Monsters Inside Me: Really Bad Sushi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWR1rzFhc0)