PDA

View Full Version : Does rockfish taste good if made into sashimi?

bluestar
09-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Anyone has tried that?

tunaman
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Anyone has tried that?

Give it a try! a buddy of mine says you can and he does. Kinda like eating halibut sashimi. Personally my favorite is bluefin. I did actually try a slice just for the hell of it and it tastes and textured just like the snapper.

THE_TROUTKING
09-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Its great :D
Brian

Know_Excuses
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I thought it was said not to do it because of potential parasites?? Has anyone heard this.I wanted to cut up some rock fish out on the boat to make ceviche and If I remember right I was told to freeze the cod first to get rid of any potential parasites. I could be completely wrong though.

walnuts
09-27-2009, 01:21 AM
I thought it was said not to do it because of potential parasites?? Has anyone heard this.I wanted to cut up some rock fish out on the boat to make ceviche and If I remember right I was told to freeze the cod first to get rid of any potential parasites. I could be completely wrong though.

From what I understand all restaurant sashimi is flash-frozen in order to kill any potential parasites, but I'd be more worried that problem with freshwater fish than salt.

sethonious
09-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Yup it does taste good. There is a bottle of soy sauce on the boat for just such an occasion. Just remember that 1) it counts to your 10 even if you eat it at sea 2) you have to eat the skin so that DFG can identify the species if they see the need to do so.

cptdarel
10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Being an x-commercial fisherman for 23 years, many many of the fish I've opened up has a worm, I have seen several different different types.......even if you don't see any hold your fillet with a light behind it* :o.....it's a don't do raw thing.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/fishworms