PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Bay crabbing 16 & 29 Jan2014

BarnacleL
02-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I pulled up 5 DunGee and 1 Red crab keepers on 16 Jan from 44 feet it was a nice day the bay was smooth as greased glass. I went back 29 Jan and couldn't make to my first waypoint so turned back. I have 88 and 86 foot lines now so am anxious to try some deeper waypoints. Anyone else having good luck off Doran beach? Care to share where you drop your traps? I look for sandy bottom on my Gamin Bluechart Americas, plot waypoints and route and download to my GPS.

nayr
02-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Cool stuff man. I have only ever crabbed inside of tomales. Do you launch right there on the beach?

BarnacleL
02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
I launch at Doran ramp I think the Coasties and locals call it Eastside. I built that boat in 1999 I have a 5hp 4-stroke gas outboard I am trying to get comfortable with the loads and freeboard the picture below shows the outboard on the boat at Sugar Barge Bethel Island. The picture with oars up is the dock at Doran ramp.

nayr
02-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Wow, thats an awesome build!
Good stuff

BarnacleL
02-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I am seeing a sandy bottom 150 feet deep 1 mile west of Elephant Rock, DunGees like sand as much as they like my minced garlic, sardine, salmon head bait combo. I could string a few of my lead lines together and get to 150 feet, I put those stainless radiator hose clamps on the rope as kind of a belt and suspenders in case my knots were to come loose. Weather and swell permitting I could get to Elephant Rock, my boat and 5 hp outboard goes 9.1 mph uses 1/2 gallon per hour and has a 3 gallon tank. It looks like I can get to Fort Ross Reef on a good day too, I have read of good fishing at both Elephant Rock and Fort Ross Reef, I'll have to make those waypoints permanent and download them to my Garmin GPSMAP 76csx so I'll always have them.

F33rNoFish
02-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Very cool rig! Awesome waters to launch from too. It's rare that I could launch mine from the sand in Santa Cruz or capitola but would love that.

Not much of a crabber but just to get out there would be awesome!

I have a 3.5 2 stroke which I plan to use on my 12' this year.

Good times!

heatsource
02-01-2014, 10:54 PM
I put those stainless radiator hose clamps on the rope as kind of a belt and suspenders in case my knots were to come loose.

I like bolin knots to join anchor ropes together. never had one come apart

welcome to the forum btw. great report :)

BarnacleL
02-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Launching from the beach is tricky with the waves breaking but I watched BayWatch and saw Pamela Anderson launch in the surf, perpendicular to the breaking waves, row and keep rowing when the water floats the boat, it takes a while to get past the breakers.

Attached are pictures of the crab snares I made and used at Pacifica pier in Dec 2013. I caught a bunch of females with egg sacs and 1 keeper male. I have been having better luck at Bodega Bay but any day at the beach is a good day. On the snares that is 0.065 weed wacker line, don't get the commercial it has ribs longitudinally you wan the round so the snares move freely through the eyes. Ribs are good for somethings but not crab snares :D

nayr
02-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Launching from the beach is tricky with the waves breaking but I watched BayWatch and saw Pamela Anderson launch in the surf

Haha!

BarnacleL
02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
In response to the PM I got from 12260Garret my track log from 16 Jan 2014 is attached. It would be a little far from shore in a canoe but I recommend N38 18.103 W123 02.149 waypoint Crab44 so called because on my Garmin Bluechart it showed that depth as 44 feet but I measured that I had 55 feet from trap bottom to buoy and the line was taught at a +6 high tide that day so I recommend at least that much line unless you take a snorkel back to retrieve it :).

Where I plan to drop next is Crab69 a sandy bottom out by the BA buoy that marks the southern tip of Bodega Rock on the chart for boats to go around. There are rocky parts of the bottom around there so look at a chart before you drop so as not to loose your trap to the rocks. Good luck taking your family and the canoe I had a blast.