PDA

View Full Version : Abalone

leadcore
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I am looking for some new receipes for Abalone. *I am getting tired of the old batter and fry thing. *Anyone out there got something new and tasty?

tc
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's a very simple recipe, that goes well with some mushroom risotto, and a crisp white wine.

Tom

Abalone Saute

Ingredients :

Ablone
2 Tb. Butter
1 Tb. Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
2 Tb. Itialian Parsley, finely chopped
Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Slice abalone approx. 1/4" thick, pound with heavy meat mallet to approx. 1/8" thickness.
4. Heat on high, 2 T. butter, a little olive oil and 4 cloves crushed garlic in a large, heavy skillet until butter melts.
5. Quickly place abalone slices in skillet and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Sprinkle each with freshly squeezed lemon juice, then salt and pepper. Flip slices over. Cook an additional 30 seconds or until barely opaque in color. Enjoy!

tc
05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's a link for a bunch of tasty Abalone recipe's courtesy of Adventure Sports Unlimited in Santa Cruz.

Tom

http://www.asudoit.com/pdfs/abalone_recipes.pdf

metalmouth
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I do mine the way TC does his only after pounding I lay a slice of pepperjack cheese and jalapeño pepper slices in the middle and roll up. Hold together with a toothpick and saute for a VERY SHORT TIME!

¿¿¿
05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's a very simple recipe, that goes well with some mushroom risotto, and a crisp white wine.

Tom

Abalone Saute

Ingredients :

Ablone
2 Tb. Butter
1 Tb. Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
2 Tb. Itialian Parsley, finely chopped
Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Slice abalone approx. 1/4" thick, pound with heavy meat mallet to approx. 1/8" thickness.
4. Heat on high, 2 T. butter, a little olive oil and 4 cloves crushed garlic in a large, heavy skillet until butter melts.
5. Quickly place abalone slices in skillet and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Sprinkle each with freshly squeezed lemon juice, then salt and pepper. Flip slices over. Cook an additional 30 seconds or until barely opaque in color. Enjoy!

I could eat a whole platter of those. Forget the risotto - it just takes up room on the plate! :D

fishstix
05-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Why kill the classic?

tenderize per however (I wont go into all the different ways people do this)

Cut into 1/4 steaks

Beat 1 egg and place into a ziploc baggie along with a crushed clove of garlic.

Place abalone in bag and let sit for about an hour.

Pull out of bag and bread in bread crumbs (I prefer the italian style)

melt butter in pan and fry at high heat until golden brown (should be about a minute per side). DO NOT overcook.

Drain on paper towels and serve.

One of my best memories of my pop is the abalone feeds we used to do when I was a kid living at home. All I know is that we can blow through this stuff when it was made.

cptdarel
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Why kill the classic?

tenderize per however (I wont go into all the different ways people do this)

Cut into 1/4 steaks

Beat 1 egg and place into a ziploc baggie along with a crushed clove of garlic.

Place abalone in bag and let sit for about an hour.

Pull out of bag and bread in bread crumbs (I prefer the italian style)

melt butter in pan and fry at high heat until golden brown (should be about a minute per side). *DO NOT overcook.

Drain on paper towels and serve.

One of my best memories of my pop is the abalone feeds we used to do when I was a kid living at home. *All I know is that we can blow through this stuff when it was made.
I agree, i have done it all, but you just cant beat the classic for sure.

Toxic_Waste
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I think chopping or grinding the abalone meat and using it as a substitute for clams would work in a "Linguine with Clam Sauce" recipe. I also used to grind up squid (could use abalone) and use it instead of ground beef when making spaghetti sauce. You could also grind up the abalone and mix with seasoned bread crumbs, egg, onions, parsley and garlic for stuffed pasta shells or manicotti.

Bartender
05-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Abalone Chowder ;) Sub the abalone with the clams and called it good. Especialy good after a long day in the cold ocean.

jbdrywall
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Abalone Balls :o ;D
Grind em up in a food prosesser add italian seasoned bread crumbs then fry in olive oil

¿¿¿
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
How 'bout an abalone scramble?

12 eggs beaten
Abalone, tenderized and diced; about half the amount of eggs
2 scallions minced fine
1 c. minced onions
1 clove garlic minced fine
cilantro to taste (or omit)
3/4 tsp. sesame oil
salt
pepper
peanut oil for cooking

Combine beaten eggs and abalone. *Add salt/pepper to taste. *Set aside.

In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute scallions, onions, garlic until onions are slightly translucent, just a few minutes if even that. *Allow to cool slightly. *Add to egg mixture and combine, along with cilantro.

Heat saute pan on high heat with peanut oil. *When oil is 'rippling hot' add enough egg mixture to cover entire bottom of pan in a thin layer. *Do not overload the pan. *Allow eggs to cook in large, soft 'curds'. *Remove and repeat with remaing egg mixture. *Do not overcook!

Serve over white rice, topped with oyster sauce.

This sort of treatment is a common Chinese preparation for shellfish and seafood of all sorts. *Great with rock cod, crab, lobster, scallops, or shrimp.

Dang, now I feel like makin' it! *:D