PDA

View Full Version : Chabot 2/3/14

Nick145
02-03-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm Heading down to Chabot to rent a row boat ($16) and put my 54lb thrust trolling motor on it. I was out there on my pontoon on wensday and i got skunked. i had a few (5) solid take downs but they didnt stick. I will reply to this thread tonight with my report. Hopefully I will have something to report. I never have too good of luck at chabot on a boat. I normally fish from shore.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

Hookin_Up
02-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Good luck!

ApexPredator
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
That is a great idea that I never thought of doing. Have an extra motor and battery laying around and might have to do that next time I head to chabot. Good luck out there.

simplycook
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Good luck. You're right around my area. Next time you go out, send me a PM and I'll join you in my yak.

Nick145
02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Let me just start off by saying except for the wind it was a wonderful day out. I got to the lake at 8:00am. I unloaded the truck filled my cart with my gear my 55lb thrust trolling motor and my 12 volt deep cycle battery. I was in a boat by 8:30am. I had my gear situated and my lines in the water by 8:45am. I headed twords racoon point to start off my day of fifshin and hopefully catching. I started off with my go to trout trolling set up a 1/4oz chrome&blue Kastmaster and a J-5 firetiger rapala. I trolled from the marinia to the island, to racoon point, to the back side of the island, and then to halfmoon bay.

At this point i had been trolling for 90 minutes with no luck, so i decided to make a change. I reeled up my Kastmaster, took it off my line, then i attached a green slingblade and an orange wedding ring with a worm. I never stopped trolling. I got the slingblade set in the water just before the turn from halfmoon bay to alder point. As soon as my lines straightened out near alder point the slingblade got hit. the rod doubled over, but as soon as it hit it was gone. i poped the drag let it fall back a bit and then reengaged the drag. whithin seconds i got slammed and this time it stuck.

The rod i was using was a virgin, but i have two of them and the other one has only landed fish to 18". I can honestly say I was very satisfied with the way it handled a fish of this caliber. He took a 30 second run to start out, and after his run he just wouldnt move. he bulldoged me for another 30 seconds before i was finally able to gain some line. At first i thought it was only a 3 pounder. Needles to say i was in for a big surprise when 5 minutes into the 11 minute long fight he surfaced 35' from the boat. As soon as i saw him i knew he was pushing 5 pounds. I managed to keep him within a 50' radious of the boat for the next 3 minutes. the next 2 minutes were spent trying to get a net near him without him taking off. after an amazing 11 minute fight i landed him. Holy Moley was he huge. I grabbed my scale and weighed him in at 6.69lbs.

I reeled up my rapala and turned around for another pass. After my pass I decided to troll back to the marina for an "official weigh in" and a bathroom break. Their scale said 6.10 pounds 1 hour after i cought and bled him. seems about right to me. after my bathroom break picture and collecting my second whopper pin I headed back out to troll some more.

I tried a few differant things in a few differant places for 1 LDR and 1 break off. Both were on that J-5 rapala. By the way if anyone catches a big trout with about 10 feet of 10# mono and a J-5 rapala in its mouth please let me know because i would like my fish back.

Just kidding. but please do let me know because id love to see what broke me off.

Pics to follow.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

Nick145
02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Good luck. You're right around my area. Next time you go out, send me a PM and I'll join you in my yak.

I live within walking distance so that sounds good to me. PM me to discuss further.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

Nick145
02-03-2014, 07:17 PM
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/nicco93/2014-02-03180630_zpsddbf1ac9.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/nicco93/media/2014-02-03180630_zpsddbf1ac9.jpg.html)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/nicco93/2014-02-03174342_zps99f3ef6b.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/nicco93/media/2014-02-03174342_zps99f3ef6b.jpg.html)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/nicco93/2014-02-03174304_zps547f6c87.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/nicco93/media/2014-02-03174304_zps547f6c87.jpg.html)

simplycook
02-03-2014, 10:41 PM
NICE CATCH! That is one hog of a fish. I've never fished Rapalas before but I guess I should give it a try. The weather later this weather doesn't look good but if it gets better next week, I'll give you a call.

XPL051v3
02-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Nice looking fish. Rapalas have produced quality fish for me but nothing that big. How fast were you trolling?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Troutbead
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
What kind of line are you using so I can avoid bying that brand? For 10 pound test to break on a planter trout it must be old line or a crapie brand .

fat fish
02-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Wow look at that red red meat...great report

Nick145
02-04-2014, 01:03 PM
What kind of line are you using so I can avoid bying that brand? For 10 pound test to break on a planter trout it must be old line or a crapie brand .

I was using P-Line Fluro Clear. Im Pretty sure there was a knot in the line. Thats the only explanation I can think of besides the fish being well over 10lbs. (perfectly possible)

Nice looking fish. Rapalas have produced quality fish for me but nothing that big. How fast were you trolling?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Im not exactly sure. It's not like you can mount a depthfinder with a speed wheel on a rental boat. If I had to guess i'd say 1.7-1.8 MPH.

I was on the high end for an un tuned slingblade. (0.7-2.0MPH)
I was on the mid-range for a Kastmaster (1.2-2.5MPH)
I was on the low end for a rapala (1.6-3.5MPH)

I find that lower speed with a jointed rapala gives it a really nice slow wiggle and that same speed gives a kastmaster good action and a slingblade a really eratic action. It's my favorite speed range for rainbows.

NICE CATCH! That is one hog of a fish. I've never fished Rapalas before but I guess I should give it a try. The weather later this weather doesn't look good but if it gets better next week, I'll give you a call.

Sounds like a plan.

Wow look at that red red meat...great report

Thanks. It's a new personal best. So I'm pretty proud of myself. I'll be brining and smoking him along with two other trout I caught and froze a few weeks ago. MMM

Tight Lines,
Nick145

Mr. Limpet
02-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice Hog, and good post Nick. I caught a nice one 2 two weeks ago and man did it taste good when I grilled it. Lately for me Chabot hasn't produced a lot of fish but the ones that I have caught have been some pink beauties. And if I hooked into that monster with the J-5 Rapala I promise to return the lure.

Brutus20
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Well done Nick!! I enjoyed reading your story about reeling that hog in. Thanks for posting and good beer choice.

..............Brutus.....

Nick145
02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Well done Nick!! I enjoyed reading your story about reeling that hog in. Thanks for posting and good beer choice.

..............Brutus.....

Thanks. One of my hobbies is writing so I try to incorporate that talent into my reports. I honestly didnt like that beer.

Nice Hog, and good post Nick. I caught a nice one 2 two weeks ago and man did it taste good when I grilled it. Lately for me Chabot hasn't produced a lot of fish but the ones that I have caught have been some pink beauties. And if I hooked into that monster with the J-5 Rapala I promise to return the lure.

Thanks limpet. As long as i see a picture of the fish you can keep the lure. Lol.

Hookin_Up
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Another Sam Adams shoutout, hahaha, I love the beer banter.:) Congrats on the PB- and awesome report. That place has a knack for making good memories.:)

Nick145
02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Another Sam Adams shoutout, hahaha, I love the beer banter.:) Congrats on the PB- and awesome report. That place has a knack for making good memories.:)

I can attest to that. I live very close to chabot and have many fond memories of fishing there.

F33rNoFish
02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Man...Sam Adams is pretty good. It's my go to draft beer when there aren't any Belgians on the menu!

Nick145
02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Man...Sam Adams is pretty good. It's my go to draft beer when there aren't any Belgians on the menu!

like i said earlier i didnt like it. maybe some of their other beers taste better but that winter ale sucked IMO

To each his own i guess.

although i prefer guiness i found this beer while i was in canada that i liked a lot. its called kokanee.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

GoneCountry
02-06-2014, 05:23 AM
Ya did VERY good , my sons have been hittin it for a few weeks and NADA. They did have a nice plant yesterday. But Im sure this rain will change it up. NICE fish. Too bad they will be draining it next year. Dam reinforcement and repair from what I heard.

Mr. Limpet
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
like i said earlier i didnt like it. maybe some of their other beers taste better but that winter ale sucked IMO

To each his own i guess.

although i prefer guiness i found this beer while i was in canada that i liked a lot. its called kokanee.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

I drank many a Kokanee's when I was salmon fishing up at Queen Charlotte Islands in Canada. Did you always find the hidden Sasquatch they have on the label?

Nick145
02-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I drank many a Kokanee's when I was salmon fishing up at Queen Charlotte Islands in Canada. Did you always find the hidden Sasquatch they have on the label?

No. I didnt know there was one. I'll have to look when im back up there in the yukon in april.

Ya did VERY good , my sons have been hittin it for a few weeks and NADA. They did have a nice plant yesterday. But Im sure this rain will change it up. NICE fish. Too bad they will be draining it next year. Dam reinforcement and repair from what I heard.

Are they fishing from shore or from a boat? I dont know how long they have been fishing there but i have been fishing chabot for over a decade. I almost always go home with fish and i normally catch fish when others arent. i have mapped that lake with a depthfinder. Maybe i can help. I love helping other anglers.

Hopefully.

Thanks.

I hadnt heard that. thats horrible its gonna destroy the good fishing for years. i understand the necessity but that doesnt mean i have to like it. thats just life i guess.

I'm either moving to the yukon this year or im gonna be living at or near lake pardee and running a guide service there. so i can honestly say while it sucks the draining of the lake doesnt affect me.

Tight Lines,
Nick145