PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo Reservoir opener 2/7/2014 questions

BarnacleL
02-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I plan to fish San Pablo Reservoir for trout 2/7/2014 in my boat Homer and electric trolling motor that I have had in the Delta and Bodega Bay in the past 30 days. I downloaded the quagga and zebra muscle form and filled it out. I paid the muscle fee with my boat registration and have the muscle fee sticker next to the CF#. I understand there is a $5 access fee, $6 parking fee, $6 inspection fee, $7 launch fee.

Have you been there for the 6:30a opener in past years? They open at 6:30a, if I get there at 6a will I get inspected in a reasonable time? my recollection is it is a 6 lane ramp so launching after inspection should be quick.

Is trolling the dam deep with a YoZuri still a good way to get a trophy trout?

Is 5 trout the limit?

You can bet I will take seat cushions and life jackets, I got a ticket there in 1999 for having seat cushions but no life jackets. I haven't explained it to my dog yet but he has to stay home as I recall no dogs and no body contact with the water.

Thank you for your guidance.

William DFC
02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
i think no one can get in before the gate open at 6:30a. I love SPR, the action are really good, and the trout limit still 5.

simplycook
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
For opening day, I'd advise getting there well before 6am. Last year, there were people lining up at 5am. SPR is a great fishery and the first few weeks will be really busy but lots of action.

Good luck.

Troutbead
02-04-2014, 07:47 AM
You forgot the $10 restroom fee, $4 wildlife viewing fee, the $7 red leg frog restoration fund fee, and the $5 just because fee. Hope you catch something.

alucardbear
02-04-2014, 04:26 PM
It's is kinda expensive, but considering it's pretty much people free most of the time. It's decent only issue is I can't catch no trout on my fly rod sucks. Does anyone know what's a good rig for that place?
The

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

simplycook
02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
From shore, powerbait, powereggs, micetails, nightcrawlers, kastmasters.

Trolling, I see people using kastmasters and rapalas.

Are you're kidding about this place being people free, right? Even during the week, I typically see a dozen people around the Rec Area. Weekends can be a mad house.

drinkinbuddy
02-04-2014, 07:56 PM
That place is fun if you can get away from the crowds on the bank. Never had any problems in a boat though. Haven't been in years but caught some nice fish from shore. Watched a father fight a 12lb rainbow on his daughters Barbie pole. Epic battle lasted a good fifteen minutes, he roasted the drag on that little pole but he prevailed...just barely.

alucardbear
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
I stay away far away from the rec area. I use power bait and such. But I want to know what type of fly fishing setup. Sorry about not being specific about it. I also use a long rod to send my bait way out there. But I like fly fishing for trout.

simplycook
02-04-2014, 10:09 PM
I stay away far away from the rec area. I use power bait and such. But I want to know what type of fly fishing setup. Sorry about not being specific about it. I also use a long rod to send my bait way out there. But I like fly fishing for trout.

With SPR being lower than years past, there's more room to fly fish from shore. You'll be surprised how close the trout are to shore and only a few feet of water, however, they spook easy. Other than the Rec area, I can see Scow Canyon, Bobber beach, Sandy Point, and near the boat launch are good places to fly fish. I'd try a variety of #14-16 wet flies or dry flies. Maybe some nymphs, ants, or hoppers would work too.

alucardbear
02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Well heading out there Sunday. We will see, I only caught crappies and a 5 pound bass there one time. Landed that guy on a 4 weight fly rod. Was a blast. Maybe I see some of guys or girl there.

Jetspray
02-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Well heading out there Sunday. We will see, I only caught crappies and a 5 pound bass there one time. Landed that guy on a 4 weight fly rod. Was a blast. Maybe I see some of guys or girl there.

If you are still taking your boat, go early for sure. The early morning line is monsterous to say the least. They come in early and open the gate, just to clear most of the boats off the main road. I would take some dough bait along with your trolling gear, you may have a traffic jam on the lake if it is low. Good luck out there.........Jetspray

alucardbear
02-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I am boat less, it sucks but I still enjoy fishing. Planning on getting a kayak or canoe soon. Yea the lines are kinda crazy sometimes when there event. Will do a report on Sunday live!!

azncowman
02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
I am boat less, it sucks but I still enjoy fishing. Planning on getting a kayak or canoe soon. Yea the lines are kinda crazy sometimes when there event. Will do a report on Sunday live!!

I'm planning to rent a kayak on Friday!
Never been to SPR. Hoping to go home with a whopper!

BarnacleL
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey fellow fisher folks,

I just called the San Pablo Reservoir # 510 223 1661 so I would know what to expect as far as line and quagga zebra muscle inspection for my boat. The gal I spoke with said it is hard to estimate because if it is raining and my boat is wet from the rain they won't inspect it.

Happy I called I guess when they write dry they mean dry. Here is the link to the form if you want to fill it out ahead of time, I think I will stay home or maybe go to the Delta.

https://www.ebmud.com/recreation/invasive-mussel-prevention-program

I am eager to hear a report on anyone that does go out there and harvest the best of the 6 tons of trout planted.

fishingfrieda
02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Hey fellow fisher folks,

I just called the San Pablo Reservoir # 510 223 1661 so I would know what to expect as far as line and quagga zebra muscle inspection for my boat. The gal I spoke with said it is hard to estimate because if it is raining and my boat is wet from the rain they won't inspect it.

Happy I called I guess when they write dry they mean dry. Here is the link to the form if you want to fill it out ahead of time, I think I will stay home or maybe go to the Delta.

https://www.ebmud.com/recreation/invasive-mussel-prevention-program

I am eager to hear a report on anyone that does go out there and harvest the best of the 6 tons of trout planted.

I have never been to this reservoir but is banking it not worthwhile, or just not for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BarnacleL
02-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Yes there is lots of bank fishing at San Pablo Reservoir and it looks like the rain is expected to arrive at 4p tomorrow so maybe I will go before that. I have it in my mind to head down to the dam end and troll back and forth in the deep water with a yozuri green lure that is what I have seen folks be successful at getting the big trout.

azncowman
02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Do they have a tackle store ? Its too late to get a fire tiger rapala. Hope they have some!

William DFC
02-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Do they have a tackle store ? Its too late to get a fire tiger rapala. Hope they have some!
inside the marina café they do sell bunch of fishing stuff, u can check it out...went there this afternoon to get my parking pass and the young lady told me they planted around 8000lbs trout this past week (hope I am hear it right :grin:), SPR for me is a wonderful place, last year almost every week I limit out on bank fishing except when it close to summer the trout bite are getting slow....well summer time is salmon time :grin:.....I wish everyone have a wonderful time in SPR this year.....