PDA

View Full Version : koke cakes

murph
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Think I heard it on the kokanee board somebody saying kokanee cakes so I had to give it a try. *The recipe was real simple and they came out great. I doctored the recipe in the book a little, just copied a crab cake recipe, this is what I used.

3 eggs beaten
3/4 cup crushed garlic croutons
1 large lemon
1/4 cup diced up green onions
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 pound kokanee ( I used three medium sized, 12-13" fish )
extra bread crumbs to roll cakes in
olive oil

First I filleted out the fish, then cooked them in olive oil like I was going to make tacos, using chile powder, garlic salt and cajun spices. Remove filets and flake into a bowl. Combine eggs, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, juice from lemon, green onions and mustard. Then mix in fish. Make into biscuit sized cakes using extra bread crumbs. Should make about 8. *Fry in hot olive oil on each side until browned.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9788/img0867s.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4922/img0868p.jpg

Took em over to some friend's house that don't eat a lot of fish, was watching the basketball final, came back into the kitchen and one was left. They were delicious and there is something special about eating those fish when they are just a couple hours out of the water. *Even our friends were stoked because they didn't taste "fishy".

SuperDave
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
My wife loves kokanee cakes. Places like Pardee, Bucks or this years Melones crop puts out the small fish and they are great for making the cakes. I think I posted a simple recipe for them years back that might still be buried on here somewhere.

żżż
06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Yum!!!

There's not much better than simply prepared, freshly caught fish.

tc
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I like to do mine on the barbeque, pretty much the same recipe, I just like the flavor from the barbe.

Tom

SuperDave
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I like to do mine on the barbeque, pretty much the same recipe, I just like the flavor from the barbe.

Tom

I 1/2 precook on the bbq to d-bone then skillet fry after mixing with rest of the ingredients.

murph
06-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Yum!!!

There's not much better than simply prepared, freshly caught fish.

Agreed!!! ;)

MB_Kevin
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Those look great! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Jetspray
06-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Were is the Smell-o-vision dial, those look tasty. Need to get some more fish in my diet that is a excellent way to have them.....Jetspray