PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Jensen sinker releases 1 & 2# balls

BarnacleL
02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know where to buy Jensen sinker releases 1 & 2# balls near Concord CA?

What spring release setting of the Jensen sinker release would be best for salmon fishing around Bodega Bay and would 1# or 2# ball be best to use?

Do I want to add a Jensen deep six to my tackle box options too?

Does anyone have any scoop on when Dicks Sporting Goods in Pleasant Hill will open? I drove by Buskirk and still looks like construction but I see jobs there advertised when I Google it. Pleasant Hill SportsAuthority closed there fishing department and Martinez Walmart is not very well stocked.

If I wasn't suppose to mention store names please correct me I am a newbie, I am just trying to learn from others experience and share what I learned at the school of hard knocks shopping around. Thank you.

Hookum Greg
02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Barnacle
Welcome to the boards. I fish mostly with Dodgers and spoons or RSK's and I have found 2# 0r 3#pound balls work well for me. I always keep a few plastic divers on the boat. Somedays If we are releaseing a lot of Shakers we switch to the divers to save a few Dollars
I'm no help to you on locating stores in your area as I'm from Placerville, Good Luck

oregondragonfly
02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't want to sound like the eco police but do you guys use lead? if so do you just dump it in the water? when I fish the rocky jetties I used spark plugs on surgical tube or when sturgeon fishing used rr spikes with the release and I make SS downrigger weights to keep lead out of our water. not judging, just saying. dfly

BarnacleL
02-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Thank you Hookum Greg I just ordered 2 Jensen sinker release and 3 32oz cannonball sinkers from Amazon. I have circle barbless hooks and a dodger.

Oregon Dragonfly, I use lead for fishing sinkers and pour lead in my home made crab snares. I haven't lost much lead over the years in the lakes and rivers.

redneckpunk
02-15-2014, 09:13 PM
I don't want to sound like the eco police but do you guys use lead? if so do you just dump it in the water? when I fish the rocky jetties I used spark plugs on surgical tube or when sturgeon fishing used rr spikes with the release and I make SS downrigger weights to keep lead out of our water. not judging, just saying. dfly

Good question. Since I havent fished the bay or ocean in 30+/- years ive wondered the same. Growing up I have to admit to "releasing" my far share if lead out there. I remember my father picking up lost wheel weight from the roadways and parking lots to melt down in a coffee can over a coleman stove in the garage to pour lead balls for fishing.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troutbead
03-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Thank you Hookum Greg I just ordered 2 Jensen sinker release and 3 32oz cannonball sinkers from Amazon. I have circle barbless hooks and a dodger.

Oregon Dragonfly, I use lead for fishing sinkers and pour lead in my home made crab snares. I haven't lost much lead over the years in the lakes and rivers.

You don't need to use in fact you shouldn't be using circle hooks for trolling. U only need to use circle hooks when not under power.

JB14
03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
What are you attempting to do? Here's a few things...

If you're trolling then ditch the circle hooks.

2.5lb balls are the standard for most. 2lb balls are less common but still effective.

Martinez bait has some salmon gear. Benecia bait has some as well. There's also a great shop in El Cerito that has EVERYTHING you could possibly need.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/8y9y5y4e.jpg

Get the brass sinker releases. They don't have a setting. When the fish hits, they dump.

Divers have their place as well. They work great for shallow but getting them deep takes a ton of line out.

There was also some study that said that the lead balls have little to no effect on the environment. I'll have to see where I saw that. I'll dig around....

oregondragonfly
03-23-2014, 01:20 PM
probably the same people that said mercury is fine. the old saying dilution is the solution to pollution is catching with us and our children will pay for it. so if you wouldn't want the lead balls in your well water. why when we have alternatives would not want to change. this isn't pointed at any one person it takes every one to make a difference. before the government dose. dfly

Troutbead
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
probably the same people that said mercury is fine. the old saying dilution is the solution to pollution is catching with us and our children will pay for it. so if you wouldn't want the lead balls in your well water. why when we have alternatives would not want to change. this isn't pointed at any one person it takes every one to make a difference. before the government dose. dfly

I thought lead was a naturally occurring element and how are lead downrigger balls going to end up in well water?

oregondragonfly
03-23-2014, 04:38 PM
so is mercury and there a lot of lakes with the warning. and remember you guys get your water from the rivers and reservoirs where you are dumping it. the reference to the well was meant if you think it is safe would you want in your family's drinking water? not trying to be an a$$ just trying to make people aware of there long term consequences. they are digging up a army rifle range that has been used sense the 1920s because all that lead is leaching into the drinking water here near Portland. dfly

salmonid
03-23-2014, 04:43 PM
dragonfly, the lead weights are used primarily on the ocean for salmon. Think poor man's downriggers.

I also hate using disposable lead but I've done it too, I think the party boats must go through hundred's of pounds a day each?

JB, if you can post that article you mentioned, I'd be interested to look at it.

Best,

JB14
03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
dragonfly, the lead weights are used primarily on the ocean for salmon. Think poor man's downriggers.

I also hate using disposable lead but I've done it too, I think the party boats must go through hundred's of pounds a day each?

JB, if you can post that article you mentioned, I'd be interested to look at it.

Best,

I'm trying to find it. Someone posted it on another forum awhile back and well, you know how that is. Needle in a haystack

ghostfish_slayer
03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
poor mans down rigger... buy a used manual down rigger for cheap. heck i was given 2 manual ones for free last year from my dads friend when he upgraded to electric.. i put one on my boat for the days when i have a extra person on board.. i have a electric on it for me.. you know you can use a meat rod made into a poor mans down rigger.. old peen reel with big handle braid or wire line with a cut off old broken boat /broom stick rod... buy a ball or two and couple down rigger releases and stack rods off it just like a down rigger.. don't get me wrong we used our share of lead balls and sinker releases over the years... never had problems catching fish on deep six, getaway from the crowd and the fish are usually up on top a little more..

ghostfish_slayer
03-24-2014, 09:49 AM
poor mans down rigger... buy a used manual down rigger for cheap. heck i was given 2 manual ones for free last year from my dads friend when he upgraded to electric.. i put one on my boat for the days when i have a extra person on board.. i have a electric on it for me.. you know you can use a meat rod made into a poor mans down rigger.. old peen reel with big handle braid or wire line with a cut off old broken boat /broom stick rod... buy a ball or two and couple down rigger releases and stack rods off it just like a down rigger.. don't get me wrong we used our share of lead balls and sinker releases over the years... never had problems catching fish on deep six, getaway from the crowd and the fish are usually up on top a little more..

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/spo/4388105161.html

oregondragonfly
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
ghostfish I have to agree why you would throw money away every day when you could be putting it into a downrigger once. plus you don't have all that weight on your pole. I have used downriggers for 25+ years and I can feel even the slightest nibble of the fish instead of all that weight. economics alone would be enough for me. I know I m not going to change your minds just make you aware of alternative ways. dfly