PDA

View Full Version : Gold Lake

libbey
02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
For all the hardwater guys out there, there's a great opportunity to fish through the ice on a lake that's normally only accessible by snowmobile. I fished Gold Lake yesterday(2/4) & put 5 browns on the ice in 4 hours. Didn't get any macs but graphed a lot of fish on my Marcum. Go in through Graeagle side of 89; you'll see a "road closed" sign just after the staging area but you can get in easily with a decent 4WD(I drove my 2003 Navigator with no problems). Turn off at the parking lot where the creek comes in; you can park right on the shore & walk out. I found all my fish in 15 -20' but fished at depths up to 60'; all hit on small white or chartreuse grub or tube jigs. I walked all over the lake & probably drilled about 20 holes total. Ice about 8" with 3" snow on top. Get out now before the next storm closes the road!

heatsource
02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
cool report

they'd better hurry! snow is coming very soon

heatsource
02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
maybe gold or gold lake aren't great search terms but there doesn't seem to be alot of info here about the lake...

I've fished it for many years as close to ice out as possible for macks to 39" on top line plugs. Check out my pic at bassets as i dont have a pic to prove...

never caught a brown there. just macks and bows. I like to pull plugs over offshore structure

Last summer the planters were hitting anything that moved on the east side of the lake in 5-20' of water.

and talk about cold water Crawdads!

cheers

sportfisher
02-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Are you sure they were browns? I've fished there for 10 plus years and never caught a brown either! There is a big brown that's mounted at the lodge at Lower Sardine lake. I asked them one if it was from LS, it's from Gold lake. But I've yet to find any! Did you get any pictures?

solo
02-07-2014, 09:42 PM
I have fished the lake for 14 years and Never caught a brown till this year dfg planted 2000 lbs twice. The browns should be nice sized come ice out.

In 2005 a fella from D- ville caught a 6 lber while drifting a night crawler.
Infact he ran coyoteville dinner for a number of years.

I mostly Mack hunt these waters.
Last year I pulled several 30" ers out off north eastern side.
The fish aren't very fat like most macks, nice bright orange meat. Very high grade fish.

I think lake record Mack is 24 lbs

Very little pressure on this water, hardly any boats due to extreme wind and icy cold water perfect for macks.

Water is very clear and there's lots of chubs I mean droves. Browns and macks are well fed and very light sensitive.

Good luck .fish alone.
Solo<-^-{

libbey
02-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Are you sure they were browns? I've fished there for 10 plus years and never caught a brown either! There is a big brown that's mounted at the lodge at Lower Sardine lake. I asked them one if it was from LS, it's from Gold lake. But I've yet to find any! Did you get any pictures?

Yes, they were browns; 12-14" caught off the rocky point at SW end of the lake. All C & R; no pics. With the storm I don't know if I'll be able to get out again anytime soon, but if I do I'll take pics.