PDA

View Full Version : Campfire trout

Cash11
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Anyone got any good recipies for cooking trout while camping?

chief502
06-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Foil, put some butter, garlic, lowery's season salt, some lemon and a little white wine if you have any, add the trout wrap it in the foil so that it wont leak out then cook it on each side for about 10 mins depending on how hot your fire is, then poke a hole and let the juice drain out. cook it on each side for just a couple of minutes again. when you take the foil off the skin will stick to the foil now you can roll the meat off the bone then pull the bone and the other half of meat will peal off the skin. it sould be juicy and very tasty.

Prowler
06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I was camping along Mill Creek up by Lassen Park one time and decided to catch me a Trout to go with my dinner. I had the campfire going along with food cooking on the propane stove. A few minutes later I caught a little 10 inch Brookie, cleaned it, and threw it on the grill over the fire. The fish was still flopping a little from the nerves. All I did was throw a little salt and pepper on it and that is still to this day, the best tasting fish I ever had.

Normally, I'll wrap it in tin foil with butter, garlic, lemon and a little bit of dill.

Toxic_Waste
06-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I think I posted my dad's way of cooking campfire trout once before, but it's probably hard to find by now. He used to take fresh trout, put salt and pepper on them, and put them in a hinged wire fishing grill "basket" with strips of raw bacon on both sides of the fish.

Then he would take a bundle of fresh rosemary sprigs, tied together like a basting brush, and baste a mixture of olive oil and wine vinegar over the fish as they cooked. Might sound kinda weird, but everybody ate those fish like candy. There were never any leftovers.

CJC
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
.... but it's probably hard to find by now.
There is a couple of index file posted up in the FAQ's thread. It should be a breeze to find it.

Toxic_Waste
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you -- I always appreciate advice that'll make things easier and save time.

Prowler
06-12-2009, 01:20 PM
.... but it's probably hard to find by now.
There is a couple of index file posted up in the FAQ's thread. It should be a breeze to find it.
It wasn't too hard to find, even though it was buried in the "wrap it in bacon" thread ::)

metalmouth
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Everything is better wrapped in Bacon! ;)

tc
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Cast Iron Skillet, Bacon Greese, Brookies, lay some Green Onions inside the Brookie. You don't need anything else, and I doesn't get any better.

Tom

metalmouth
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Cast Iron Skillet, Bacon Greese, Brookies, lay some Green Onions inside the Brookie. *You don't need anything else, and I doesn't get any better.

Tom
+1 though I do like some fried potatoes and eggs with my Brookies for breakfast!

CJC
06-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Skewer them on a stick. A little salt and pepper and place it on top of the campfire. My favorite, no dishes to do. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Bartender
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Olive oil, salt and pepper roasted in foil directly under the fire. Man, those river trout have such a great natural flavor.

Jeff213
06-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I decided to try something simple while i was camping. I put a trout in foil with 4 slices of bacon wrapped around it and 1 inside it and cut up about 1/4 of an onion and put it inside as well. Put this on coals until it was all thoroughly cooked and it was actually good!

Cash11
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Cool guys now i gotta go get some trout this week and try these out

tc
06-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Cast Iron Skillet, Bacon Greese, Brookies, lay some Green Onions inside the Brookie. *You don't need anything else, and I doesn't get any better.

Tom
+1 though I do like some fried potatoes and eggs with my Brookies for breakfast!

Certainly, I have to make the bacon greese anyway, or course I'm gonna have eggs and spuds, along with the bacon and brookies.
:P :P :P :P :P :P

Tom

walnuts
06-21-2009, 01:32 AM
get some sub-10 inch brookies toss em in a little olive oil then cornmeal, salt and pepper...fry em in a CI pan while they're still twitching. My favorite from childhood to today. I cook 'em lots of different ways, but this one will always be my favorite, I think.

Jetspray
06-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Make a foil pack of your favorite smoking chips (I like alder soaked in wine or water). Poke holes in it. Get your grill started (I have a small gas one). Put your trout in a foil formed tray, nucoa margerine smeared in the bottom, put lemon slices and onion slices in the cavity, and sprinkle Chef Prudome's Seafood Majic all around. Put the foil smoke pack in first to get it heated first, then add in the fish foil tray. It does not take long but the smoke flavor is DA BOMB..........Jetspray