PDA

View Full Version : Bear Recipes?

bretmoua
05-22-2009, 07:04 AM
I know this subject is off topic but I just had to ask.
I just got bowl of left over bear meat from my brother in law's friend's bear kill last year and was wondering how all of you eat it. I've never eaten it before and don't know what to do with it. My brother in law said to dry it using the sun for a few days and then chop it into small pieces and make a soup out of it. I'm not much of a soup fan.
So how do you all eat your bear meat?

MasterLJ
05-22-2009, 08:44 PM
A fairly common way to eat bear is in sausage and/or salami... it is very tasty. I'll leave it to you and google to find which recipe suits you best, or you can always take it to a butcher.

Bartender
05-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I have had it corned before, like corned beef.

GH

ratss427
05-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I have had it broiled.very gamy and greasy. :P

metalmouth
05-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Send a pm to Capt Ken. He cooks it up at fests to rave reviews!

ratss427
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Send a pm to Capt Ken. He cooks it up at fests to rave reviews!
I would love to give bear a second chance....My father is far from a gourmet chef. ;)

johnbfishin
05-25-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm not a hunter but I've eaten a lot of game, some I've liked and some not so much. What I do know is that how game is handled after the kill and then at cooking time can make a big difference.

Capt.Ken
05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Heeeeeyyyyyy BOOBOO!!!!
As alot of you know I have harvested a few bears here on our ranch. *We really enjoy the bear meat from our bears because they have a much better diet , acorns, berries, etc. then bears elsewhere.
The most important thing when you get a bear is to take care of the meat right away. *We usually have it processed over at Archers in Georgetown. *They do an excellent job and make great salami. *
We like it ground for tacos and spaghetti etc., we had country suasage made this last time also.
It is important that bear be cooked well. *We do alot of stew. *Also my wife makes Burgandy Bear, which is real good!! *Just about any beef recipe works well for bear.
Burgandy Bear--Place bear meat in pot with sliced onion, mushrooms garlic, canadian steak seasoning, 1 or 2 cups of burgandy (you could also use beer) 1 cup beef stock. *cover bring to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for 2-3 hours. *can also be put in oven 325 degrees for 3 hrs. *serve over noodles or rice.
Almost forgot--Bear Chili *Yum!!!
If you have any more questions please let me know. *We have lots of expereince with bear.
And please DON'T LEAVE IT OUT IN THE SUN!!! and then cook it. *there is no need to do that.
Thanks
Capt. Ken
Here is a pic of our last bear.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9974/img1365zv2.jpg

metalmouth
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd be all in for the Burgundy Bear! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

tc
05-28-2009, 09:28 AM
I've eaten Bear Ribs before, very tasty, cook the same as Beef ribs. I think, like all Game Animals, it depends on where they come from, what there feeding on, and most importantly, how well you care for them when dressing. I have a friend that used to hunt for them regularly up around Callahan, in the Trinity's. Everything I ever tasted from those Bears was good.
:P :P :P :P

Tom

HOG-ON
06-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I have had it corned before, like corned beef.

*GH

Awsome !

ITUKAWAL
06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
If you havn't had a bear taco or two from the Captin' you havn't lived.

Yuuuummmm !!!!!

ITIT

walnuts
06-19-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm sure that bear cooked properly is delicious, but the only way I've ever had it that I enjoyed was in a sausage or salami. Every other time it has been tough, stringy, greasy beyond belief (and a weird greasy too, not sure how to describe it...thick) and not nearly tasty enough to cancel out the other factors.

fishy99z
06-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Capt.Ken has got it. I have killed bear also and I mainly grind it up. It makes great chili, tacos and spagetti sauce. He's also right about stew, I think just about any critter would taste good in a stew. I second his idea of not putting it out in the sun. Anybody please let me know if you have any pesky bears on your property I would love to help you out with your problem when hunting season comes around... :)