PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid lake.

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Going out to pyramid lake in a couple weeks. Wanted to gather some tips and good info if possible. I know there is trout in there but what else?
What's working out there off shore and on?
What lures work?
Color bait or lures?
Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tahosrfr
02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I will take some tips too pls😄

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 11:03 AM
👆👆👆👆 he will take some as well

SloBoat
02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Fishing from shore?
'Tune or 'Yak?
Trolling from a boat?

More info will "NET" you better advice!

I love Pyramid...

Jetspray
02-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Fishing from shore?
'Tune or 'Yak?
Trolling from a boat?

More info will "NET" you better advice!

I love Pyramid...
Hey Dave everyone is new at the game. I would suggest checking in at Crosby's for permits and info before hitting the lake. It is a tribal land........Jetspray
Main (http://crosbylodge.net/) <Crosby's Lodge site

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Idk what im going to be doing maybe shore and rental boat

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Fished for trout before so id say im a novice fisherman. Just havnt fished this lake before. Looking for pointers for this lake.

Jetspray
02-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Idk what im going to be doing maybe shore and rental boat
No rentals that I know of, shoreline fishing is best from spots mentioned by Captain Compassion on his posts. You might look around the site, it helps. I might remind you that it is a tribal lake, you only need their permit, no other lic. needed.....Jetspray

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Ok forsure. I've been reading around but thank you greatly appreciated

SloBoat
02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Justin, be sure to join us at Pyramid for the 2014 Spring Fest last weekend of April... you will learn an encyclopedia's worth of info pertaining specifically to that lake alone!

As to what method, or lure type, or color, there are just too many variables to list all the possible combinations that work... hot gear changes by the hour, just like Nevada weather! LOL

I confess I have a bit of a tackle fetish, but for sake of example: I have about a dozen or so of the individual 7x11 and 8x14 Plano boxes full of tackle in my arsenal... 10 boxes are pretty much all "Pyramid specific gear" (although much of it could also be used for Salmon), and the other 2 boxes cover just about all the other spots (and species) I fish. In other words, over 75% of my entire life-long tackle collection was purchased with the intension of fishing Pyramid!

Most of my Pyramid knowledge is from a boaters perspective.
Flatfish, Kwikfish, Lyman's, StingKing's, and assorted spoons such as Thomas Buoyant's just to name a popular few are all proven producers. Also custom plugs and spoons from the local guys like Captain Ken's Double Flutter's or GVF's Draggin's have caught many fish for me and have earned their rightful space in my Pyramid tackle assortment. The hot color's will vary from month-to-month, day-to-day, and sometimes even hour-to-hour... so keep a VHF handy and listen for chatter as to what's getting hit at the moment... frog pattern, red dot frog, chartreuse, purple and black, and 9'er colors (gold, red, black combo) are my go-to colors until I figure out whats HOTTT?!?!?

Spring season you will find most fish biting close to shore and near the surface. The fall bite is less predictable, but there are always hot spots such as Warrior Point or Hell's Kitchen (among others) that will usually almost always produce. The fish are usually a bit further from shore in the fall, and often a bit deeper too... 15' - 35' or so running 'riggers.

As for species, the main attraction is Lahontan Cutthroat Trout.
The largest trophy LCT in the world to be more specific! ...41+ pounds I believe still holds the record!
Sacramento Perch are also abundant although I have no experience targeting them.
Other non-targeted species include the Tui Chub and also the Cui-ui which is an ancient endangered species member of the carp family.

I second Jetspray's suggestion for stopping at Crosby's on your way in. You will be in awe to see the amazing world-class trophy fish mounted for display, not to forget about the wall full of polaroid pictures of all the 10+ pound fish caught from the lake.

Hope to see you there!

Jeepman775
02-06-2014, 06:44 PM
I am very interested in the perch fishing. Looks fun as hell. Might be a hoot to clean up on some perch after a limit of cutts. Looks fun for summer fishing also. I would assume grubs and jigs for them? (Trout board. Sorry.)

some excellent info in the above posts.

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Slo boat all that was great and helpful info. I appreciate it. Im out of CA and heard stories and read articles about this lake so I was thinking about going soon and wanted to ask questions and read more about it. But I will for sire check out Crosbys. Appreciate all the info and tips. Thank you.

Jetspray
02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Slo boat all that was great and helpful info. I appreciate it. Im out of CA and heard stories and read articles about this lake so I was thinking about going soon and wanted to ask questions and read more about it. But I will for sire check out Crosbys. Appreciate all the info and tips. Thank you.
Small note, everything barbless, no scents can be added, slot limits on fish too:yoda23uk:.......Jetspray

Jeepman775
02-06-2014, 08:28 PM
If you want some motivation, go the the Crosby Lodge site and check out the Ten Pounder Club link. It is pretty sweet.

RideNfish
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Be sure to brush up on the regs as mentioned. Crosby's can teach you a lot but if you are like me and want to fish as soon as I get there then buy your permit to fish online and print it out. https://plpt.nagfa.net/online/ Just register then you can go through the menu for what to buy for how many days.

Here are the regs for keeping fish
Total daily trout limit is two fish.

Legal size is 17" to 20", and 24" & and longer;
Only 1 fish over 24" allowed in possession;
No fish less than 17", or between 20" and 24" allowed in possession (in order to protect more larger fish for spawning and to produce more trophy size fish!).

And as mentioned it's barbless/artificial. This isn't like trout fishing in most areas. You use big lures and you let them actually rest on the bottom and kind of jig them in. If you cast and reel you won't catch. :)

fishingfrieda
02-06-2014, 09:59 PM
This is a great thread! Please keep it coming with any information you feel would be helpful for all us newbies! Even small tidbits are great! Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

justintheegreat
02-06-2014, 10:36 PM
What size hooks are we using and what pound test?

Captain Compassion
02-06-2014, 11:24 PM
What size hooks are we using and what pound test?

Check your PM.

CC

Jetspray
02-07-2014, 01:04 AM
This is a great thread! Please keep it coming with any information you feel would be helpful for all us newbies! Even small tidbits are great! Thanks everyone.

Hope I am able to make it, drop by and visit, I always carry extra gear:fishing1:.......Jetspray

fishingfrieda
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Hope I am able to make it, drop by and visit, I always carry extra gear:fishing1:.......Jetspray

I really hope you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Captain Compassion
02-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I really hope you can.

If you are looking for Dave he'll be here.

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/davesrig.jpg

CC