PDA

View Full Version : I want a refund on my fishing license.

TroutNTuna
02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I live right near the America River. I like to fish. I buy a license that keeps going up in price each year so that I may enjoy the river as a sportsman should. A few years ago they closed salmon season and I contemplated this...now I'm thinking about it again. Within the last month I spent my hard-earned dough to get a license based on the assumption that I'd be able to fish waters that my license fees help to maintain - to fish waters that we have fished since "god made the river" (as my son says). Whether or not I agree that the preservation of salmon eggs in the rocks is the reason for yesterday's closure...if I spend money on a license and steelhead report card and the river I normally fish (along with many others) is closed to fishing a month later is it unreasonable to want to ask for a refund (not total, just partial)? Is it possible that I am paying fees that are then directly used to fund the prevention of me fishing the river? (game wardens, biologists, etc.)

Don't get your knickers in a bind on this. Try to see the humor in it. Has anybody else here or elsewhere raised this point? And, keep in mind that I'm not saying I'm opposed to the closure. That's not my point here. My point, like the recent rant here about the Burger King, is that I'm paying for something and not getting it.

Cali Duck
02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Just consider it paying homage to the fish gods...and perhaps take this opportunity to explore other waters/species if you don't already.

Line Stretcher
02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Just consider it paying homage to the fish gods...and perhaps take this opportunity to explore other waters/species if you don't already.

It does seem like a raw deal for those that don't have the ability to fish elsewhere. I'm not too happy about them closing the Russian but I've been 5 times and I got 8 fish so when you consider that a 1 day license is 14.86 and a annual is only 46.44 I got my monies worth.

salmonid
02-06-2014, 03:10 PM
TroutNTuna,

I can kind of see your point, but look at it this way, you got to/get to fish the AR all of Jan and most of Feb for steelies.

Come Summer and Fall, you can fish the AR for salmon.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot of lost opportunity to me, maybe half of the steel run, but still.

If you fish for tuna, as your user name suggests, your license will still be good for tuna!

Best,

fishingfrieda
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
They didn't close the whole American River. Just a portion. So go get your money's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

49erbassman
02-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I'll buy my license regardless if the river closes. I got to mark a few on my steelhead card so far so that was worth the $8. It sucks but no reason to stop fishing ;)

Fish on!

redneckpunk
02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Having lives in Kalifornia my entire life I can tell you how they would work a refund program. Since the river was open 2 months they would prorate it and you would get 5/6 of your money back for the steelhead card. They wouldnt give any back on general license because you can fish elsewhere. So now you have a $6.67 refund. There is a $6.00 processing fee now leaving a total of $0.67 that you will be requires to claim as income on your taxes next year. Oh, and they will send the refund check COD so you pay the postage.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaban12
02-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Unless u don't have a means of transportation or are physically unable to fish somewhere else. There is always more spots to fish. The american river is great because it's so close to u, but it's not the only option. As far as getting a refund I don't think it's worth the hassle. If you truly fish the american river then u know the tackle u lose there daily can be $20+ a day. So why bother getting a refund.

jim.t
02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I know the politicians can't control the weather but their refusal to fund new water storage is leading to these drastic measures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

salmonid
02-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I know the politicians can't control the weather but their refusal to fund new water storage is leading to these drastic measures.

That's one side of the coin...

The other option is: don't send so much water South unless there is excess. Seems like common sense to me.

Best,

Rockit73
02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
so when caltrans closes a road for maint do you want a refund on the tax you pay for fuel? Find another wet spot.