PDA

View Full Version : Chile from scratch????

CJC
06-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Does anyone make chile from scratch any more? Every recipe I find from the internet is "open a can of this and of that". I know, I am old school I guess.... ;D ;D ;D

But it would sure be nice. How about some nice chile verde and chile colorado recipes from scratch? :-/

¿¿¿
06-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Not a can to be found...

Chile Verde (http://www.cook-mexican.com/recipes/cmr0156.html)

Chile Colorado (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Red-Chile-Sauce-Chile-Colorado-104411)

I don't have time to make it 'old school' so I keep my can opener close to my side!!!

You'll have to tell us how yours turns out. If you want to read up on more Mexican recipes, I'd recommend Rick Bayless. The guy knows his Mexican. 8-)

metalmouth
06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
+1 for Rick Bayless. His books and shows are incredible if you want to learn the real thing in authentic culture and cuisine, but who is that young babe he's always dragging around Mexico??? * ::) :-? ;D

Wow, Rick Bayless for my post 15K. Oh well, I really like his dishes. ;D

¿¿¿
06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, Rick Bayless for my post 15K. Oh well, I really like his dishes. *;D

15K?!??!!! :o

I'm such a noob. ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
06-07-2009, 08:12 PM
WOW MM 15000... :o 8-)

CJC
06-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Wow! 15k! Yo need to spend more time fishing MM! ;D ;D ;D

Mooch, if you follow the Chile verde instructions you end up with some raw pork and a chile verde sauce. :D ;D ;D ;D

tc
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's a scratch Chili I fix for myself, the Wife won't eat it as she doesn't like heat. I have another recipe for her Chili. You can adjust the heat level anywhere you want from no habanero peppers lots, I like lots. This is always better after sitting in the Fridge a night or two.

Tom

Five Alarm Chili

1 pound thick sliced Bacon – finely chopped
2 pounds Ribeye Steak – ½” cubes
3 pounds Pork Shoulder Butt – ½” cubes
3 pounds Chuck Steak – ½” cubes
2 pounds Antelope or any Venison – ½” cubes
1 ½ pounds Basque Chorizo
1 cup Flour for dusting Meat
2 ½ pounds Spanish Onions – finely diced
½ cup fresh Jalapeno Peppers with seeds – finely diced
1 cup fresh Sonora Chili Peppers, stemmed and seeded – finely diced
3 pounds Plum Tomatoes – crushed
10 cloves Garlic - crushed
2 cups Bell Pepper – finely diced
2-6 Habanero Peppers – stemmed and seeded – finely diced
3 cups Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3 cups Water
5 Tb Red Chili Powder
2 Tb Cayenne Powder
5 Tb ground Cumin
1 Tb Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Hungarian Hot Paprika
3 Tb Oregano
1 Tb Tabasco Sauce
2 Tsp Salt

In large Dutch Oven, saute bacon until drippings are rendered, dust meat with flour, cook in bacon drippings until browned, remove meat and add onions, and sauté until translucent, add peppers and chorizo, sauté until chorizo is browned. Add remaining ingredients into pot, including the meat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.

¿¿¿
06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow! 15k! Yo need to spend more time fishing MM! *;D ;D ;D

Mooch, if you follow the Chile verde instructions you end up with some raw pork and a chile verde sauce. *:D ;D ;D ;D

Um, I would assume you'd know what to do next. ;)

Were you asking for Chile or Chili?

CJC
06-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Mooch, if you follow the Chile verde instructions you end up with some raw pork and a chile verde sauce. *:D ;D ;D ;D

Um, I would assume you'd know what to do next. *;)

Chili is the spanglish version of chile, I thought....

Yes, I know what to do next, but I thought it was funny.

TC, do you ever make for 2 servings? Just kidding. That is a very original Chile. Thanks! I think I'd skip the habaneros. ;D ;D ;D Those things are nasty! :o ;D ;D ;D

¿¿¿
06-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, to me 'chile' refers to the peppers, and Mexican dishes that feature them as a sauce/base. CHILI to me, is that Southern concoction...

tc
06-09-2009, 05:27 AM

TC, do you ever make for 2 servings? Just kidding. That is a very original Chile. Thanks! I think I'd skip the habaneros. *;D ;D ;D Those things are nasty! *:o ;D ;D ;D

I only have big pots and pans, I just keep putting stuff in until there full. If you don't like habaneros, you should try the scotch bonnets I grow.
[smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif]

Tom

GutHookd
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Here's a scratch Chili I fix for myself, the Wife won't eat it as she doesn't like heat. *I have another recipe for her Chili. *You can adjust the heat level anywhere you want from no habanero peppers lots, I like lots. *This is always better after sitting in the Fridge a night or two.

Tom

Five Alarm Chili

1 pound thick sliced Bacon – finely chopped
2 pounds Ribeye Steak – ½” cubes
3 pounds Pork Shoulder Butt – ½” cubes
3 pounds Chuck Steak – ½” cubes
2 pounds Antelope or any Venison – ½” cubes
1 ½ pounds Basque Chorizo
1 cup Flour for dusting Meat
2 ½ *pounds Spanish Onions – finely diced
½ cup fresh Jalapeno Peppers with seeds – finely diced
1 cup fresh Sonora Chili Peppers, stemmed and seeded – finely diced
3 pounds Plum Tomatoes – crushed
10 cloves Garlic - crushed
2 cups Bell Pepper – finely diced
2-6 Habanero Peppers – stemmed and seeded – finely diced
3 cups Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3 cups Water
5 Tb Red Chili Powder
2 Tb Cayenne Powder
5 Tb ground Cumin
1 Tb Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Hungarian Hot Paprika
3 Tb Oregano
1 Tb Tabasco Sauce
2 Tsp Salt

In large Dutch Oven, saute bacon until drippings are rendered, dust meat with flour, cook in bacon drippings until browned, remove meat and add onions, and sauté until translucent, add peppers and chorizo, sauté until chorizo is browned. *Add remaining ingredients into pot, including the meat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.

Dang. That's going to make A LOT of chili!!

No beans either!! Yeah! The real deal has not beans, at least in Texas.

¿¿¿
06-09-2009, 10:27 AM
TC - yum. I want a bowl NOW! ;)

chefchandler
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Does anyone make chile from scratch any more? Every recipe I find from the internet is "open a can of this and of that". I know, I am old school I guess.... ;D ;D ;D

But it would sure be nice. How about some nice chile verde and chile colorado recipes from scratch? *:-/

Chile Colorado:
10 dry Chili guajillo
5 diced tomato's
1 onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper

Boil these things together then blend it. *Push through a strainer so no seeds are in sauce. *Then add a can of tomato paste to thicken it. *This is a basic recipe used in most restaurants.

Chili Verde:
15 Tomatillo's
1 Yellow onion
1 clove garlic
lime juice
1 bunch cilantro
6 spicy jalapeno's
salt and pepper

you can boil or roast the tomatillo, garlic, onion, jalapeno then blend. then add chopped cilantro, lime juice and s&p.

If you ever have any questions about cooking anything don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Fish on,
Chef

metalmouth
06-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Wow, thanks for the post Chef! Please chime in more often. It's great to have your input!

MM

CJC
06-10-2009, 09:32 PM

I guess I read it wrong. The pork is well cooked.

Thanks for the recipes chefchandler!

Wow! the 2 versions of chile verde are very different. Can't wait to try them out. I didn't know that they could have potatoes in it. And chefchandler's recipe has cilantro, just like the Peruvian version of the green sauce!