PDA

View Full Version : how do i cook catfish?

Fishinjib
06-01-2009, 06:57 AM
hey guys, i usually deep fry most of my fish or bake it in red wine and garlic.. but here is the deal every time i get fresh cat fish from the market and deep fry it, it tastes like mud? i know catfish is a bottom fish and its suppose to but every time i have it anywhere else it tastes good. so what is your way of cooking cat? i just caught my first cat yesterday so i wanna take time and make this thing worth a while.

Toxic_Waste
06-01-2009, 07:42 AM
When I cook catfish these days, it's usually boneless, skinless fillets purchased from Costco. I just haven't had the time to invest lately in fishing for them, even though there is a lake right across the road from me and a much bigger lake a couple of miles down the same road.
Anyway, I season the fillets with Cajun or Creole seasoning and cook them on a barbecue grill (in a hinged wire-mesh fish "basket") over oak or manzanita coals. I don't cook with a gas grill. If they look like they need help staying moist, I brush with a little bit of garlic-infused olive oil.

The other way I cook catfish fillets is to dredge them in flour, seasoned with the same Cajun or Creole spices. Sometimes I will use a commercially-prepared fish batter mixture. Then the fillets go into the ol' frying pan with some canola oil, which doesn't have a strong taste or heaviness. Flip those babies one time to brown both sides and serve with lemon wedges or maybe a chile-lime dipping mixture. (There are various recipes for that on the Internet.)

I have been lucky...never had any muddy-tasting ones (yet).

metalmouth
06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
To remove the muddy taste, soak them in milk for several hours before cooking.

Fishinjib
06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
milk huh?? im gonna have to try that idea..

great ideas TW i will try those.

CJC
06-06-2009, 12:46 PM
There are a couple of eel recipes in the files. Use can use those for catfish.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1141187806/0

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1227543529/18

Here is what Doc said about the taste:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1244170363/14#14

The flavor of any fish depends the water quality, the food source, and how it is handled after being caught.

You can't do much about the first 2 factors, but you can have better tasting fish if you kill them right away and ice them down. Bleeding them by cutting the gills also helps, but mostly if you are not going to eat the fish right away. What happens when you hold fish on a stringer is that they accumulate lactic acid in their tissues that changes the flavor. This is from stress and low oxygen. Keeping fish in a bucket makes the problem even worse. Stringers and buckets were used to hold fish before ice was readily available. It's best to bring a cooler of ice, kill the fish and place them on top of the ice. Don't let them soak in water or the flesh will get soft. Clean the fish ASAP and keep the body cavity well drained.

Soaking fillets is a good way to reduce unwanted flavors. Many of the compounds that cause the "off" tastes are water soluble and will diffuse out of the tissue over nigh in the refrigeratort. Milk, buttermilk, or brine are fine. Just soak the meat overnight before you eat or freeze it. But if you use plain water, the meat will become mushy and flavorless. The solutes in milk or brine prevent the meat from absorbing too much water.

MB_Kevin
06-06-2009, 07:44 PM
You might be interested in this thread on the catfish board...

Catfish Taste? (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1244170363)

t-cuz93
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
when i cook cat fish i go ahead and cut it in fillets making sure not to get any bones.
wash them in cold water.
then throw some sort of breading in a bag just enough to cover however many fillets you have to cook.
get the deep fryer or oil nice and hot.
and throw each one in and cook it one at a time until golden brown.

easy enough enjoy

CRABBY
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
when i cook cat fish i go ahead and cut it in fillets making sure not to get any bones.
wash them in cold water.
then throw some sort of breading in a bag just enough to cover however many fillets you have to cook.
get the deep fryer or oil nice and hot.
and throw each one in and cook it one at a time until golden brown.

easy enough enjoyT cuz Sorry again but this thread was started almost 3 years ago,it's fine to reply to it or other old threads if you like,just thought I'd let you know....Don