PDA

View Full Version : Hope to Crab Bodega Mon 10 Feb from Doran to Dillon

BarnacleL
02-08-2014, 06:40 PM
I hope to Crab Bodega Mon 10 Feb from Doran to Dillon. I have deeper waypoints selected to drop my traps. It is 6.9 miles Doran to Dillon. I plan on using my Nissan 5hp 4-stroke outboard that pushes my boat Homer 9.1 mph in the Delta, uses 1/2 gallon per hour has a 3 gallon tank that gives me a range of 54 miles. Attached is the map I made that I am downloading to my GPSMAP76CSx.

I need to cut some big rubber bands out of an old wheel borrow tube so I can put my frozen salmon, sardine, minced garlic bait in the bait cage as the block of ice it is then it will thaw and get a nice milk going on the sandy bottom to ring the dinner bell for the crabs to come over. And if all works well close the bait cage door as it thaws so the thawed bait stays inside the bait cage.

WHT.RUS
02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
We fishes bodega on the 3rd and 4th only maybe a 1/3 mile out and dropped 8 pots. Limited out for 4 people soaking them for 6 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BarnacleL
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
4 limits, 40 crabs you did very well. I hope I do as good as you did. I want to try out a little further in deeper water to see if I can get more heavy males. On my Jan 16 trip the males and females were pretty light after cooking and cleaning them. The BoatUS Bodega forecast indicates 5-7mph winds tomorrow, the NOAA forecast indicates 12-17 gust as high as 21 afternoon winds. I packed some snares to try the Bodega Head SMCA, the sport fishing regulations read we can crab there for Dungeness but when I look at my Garmin Bluechart Americas it looks like a rocky bottom so I don't want to drop one of my new traps down there and get it caught. The numbers are fathoms on the attached from the CA Fish and Wildlife website and the State Marine Reserve (SMR) red is absolutely no take of crabs fish or anything. I think since commercial folks can't fish the SMCA the big boys are hiding there.

WHT.RUS
02-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Howd ya do buddy? We also tried fishing for some rock off the rocks with no luck. Kept hooking those crabs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BarnacleL
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I did not launch today because of low visibility and a stronger north wind than I wanted for my 1st time in the ocean with my 5hp gas. My dog and I took a nice walk on the beach, parts of Hwy 1 were flooded across the road on the way in but all was clear on the way home. A lot of skunks are road kill for some reason and the Sonoma cows are very happy now that they have some green pasture. I only saw 1 boat heading out of the harbor, I was the only one at Doran ramp.