PDA

View Full Version : Risotto

tc
06-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Personally, I love Rice, in just about any form, when I was growing up, and well into my adult hood, I ate an old Basque family recipe for baked rice, that was simplicity itself, (6) cloves of garlic, (1) medium onion, (3) cups white rice, soak in water for (1) hour, (3) cans beef broth, (3) cans cream of mushroom soup. *Saute the garlic, and onions, add the rice until browned, add beef broth and cream of mushroom soup, stir to mix, and place in a 350 degree oven for about an hour, then turn it on broil for about (10) minutes to crisp up the top. *I ate this recipe for better than 40 years, and it always came out perfectly, now, however, somebody in the rice industry, has done something with the basic makeup of the rice that we buy, and I can no longer make this recipe, the rice doesn't absorb the moisture from the soup's, and never gets done, I hate crunchy rice, unless that's what I originally planned, if you continue to cook it, it just gets gummy. *Possibly somebody can explain this anomaly to me, as I'm completely baffled. *Lately, in an attempt to create this recipe, I've been experimenting with various Risotto recipe's, and have finally come upon one that I like, and can be put together in endless combination's of ingredient's based on the meal it accompanies. *Here it is.

(4) Large Shallots, or (1) Medium Yellow Onion
(8) Large Cloves Garlic, (I like Garlic)
(6) Stalks finely chopped Celery
(1) cup Italian Parsley, finely chopped
(1) tsp. finely chopped fresh Thyme
(3) cups Mushrooms coarsely chopped
(1-2) cups mixed Nuts, coarsely chopped, (I like the raw mixed Nuts from Costco)
(3) cups Arborio Rice
(2-3) cans reduced sodium Beef Broth or Chicken Broth
(2-3) cans Vegetable Broth

Saute Shallots, Garlic, Celery, Parsley and Thyme in Olive Oil and 1/2 Cube of unsalted Butter until translucent, add Rice and stir until Rice begins to brown. *Start adding Broth 1 cup at a time, and cook at medium heat until it's absorbed, keep adding broth 1 cup at a time and continue to *stir until absorbed, add the chopped Nuts, repeat adding broth as necessary until rice is nice and fluffy and all the broth is absorbed. *If you like, as a finisher for this you can add (2) cups of a 5 cheese Italian cheese blend available in your local grocery store. *This is a simple recipe, but takes some time to prepare due to the need for constant stirring, and adding the broth, but is well worth it. *Give this a try, and feel free to add anything else you like to it, just try and keep the ratio of Rice and Broth the same.
:P :P :P :P

Tom